1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

which the Best AMD processor that can match i7 3770K performance or beat it.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by michael, Dec 7, 2013.

1. michael

Thanks Received:
    Hi Guys,
    I would like to know:-
    which the Best AMD processor that can match i7 3770K performance or beat it.
    Which is the latest AMD processor to run 10VM at time with 32GB ram.

Please advise.

Thanks.
  2. TRWOV

TRWOV

Thanks Received:
    Generally, the 3770K steps over the FX8350 although they run neck and neck in some usage scenarios (3D modeling and video processing, for example).

I don't know how it fares with VMs though. Due to the FX8350 having 8 integer cores I'd guess it'll perform slightly better.

The best AMD CPU you can easily get is the FX8350. There's the FX9590 (basically an FX8350 at 5GHz) but it costs much more and requires a high end motherboard.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  3. michael

Thanks Received:
    for FX8350 i am planning to buy motherboard with intel widi , I need somw unigueness in motherboard which also fit in antec skelton
  4. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Why are you replacing a 3770K with a FX8350? Seems like a waste of time.
  5. ShiBDiB

ShiBDiB

Thanks Received:
    ^^

Makes 0 sense to intentionally buy a chip that gives you no boost in performance.
    michael says thanks.
  6. FX-GMC

FX-GMC

Thanks Received:
    Has he actually said anywhere that he is replacing his processor?
    I was thinking he was building a second machine since he said something about fitting it in an Antec Skelton (the machine in his system specs says Antec Lanboy Air).

Just speculating.
    Solaris17, RCoon, HD64G and 1 other person say thanks.
  7. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    It's hard to tell with michael. He has a lot of threads under his belt. :)

But he is talking about VM's, could be a server of some sort.
    Vario and michael say thanks.
  8. michael

Thanks Received:
    No Guys,
    I am not replacing my 3770K with a FX8350.
    In fact I am still buying stuff for my lan boy air machine. But due to its high electricity consumption I am planning to buy second machine for normal stuff which should also look unique like lan boy air.
    May be mini skelton from antec or any good HTPC case. For me look of cabinet is more important and then i go on buying stuff for it.
    there are my choices:-
    mini skelton
    Cooler-Master-Elite-130
    NZXT-Vulcan

So my questions are:-

-is there any mini atx M?B which comes with 32GB ram support?

-How about Gigabyte GA-H77N-WIFI Motherboard inside miniskelton ? as it has intel widi.

Please tell me unique attracktive computer cases.
  9. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    I'm confused at what your trying to do. You want a cabinet case and 32 Gb ram? WiDi which is only Intel but asking about an AMD CPU? Most all ITX boards has 32Gb ram limit
    michael says thanks.
  10. michael

Thanks Received:
    Actually my lan boy air is consuming lot of power so i have ordered some fan controller switches for it. so I am looking for second computer which is also close to same capacity/power as my current one but must consume less power.

Moreover I am also planning to keep it on for 24 hours for downloading torrent videos, so it should face that too.

How about Gigabyte GA-H77N-WIFI and Intel 3 GHz LGA1150 4430 i5 4th Generation Processor
    or

Gigabyte GA-H77N-WIFI and Intel 3.4 GHz LGA1155 Core i5 3570K Processor.

Beside runnning VMs , i am also looking for some uniqueness in my second build because gigybyte mb has intel widi which will be useful when i will buy high led tvs with intel widi.

how many vms can 16Gb ram carry in this configuration?

Please advise.
  11. Vario

Vario

Thanks Received:
    I'd run a Xeon 1220 or 1230v2 cpu, that will work with almost any 1155. Basically a 3.5ghz i7 3770 priced like an i5 that can run registered memory and other server/workstation tasks but you probably won't need those aspects. It does not have onboard graphics.
    4 cores and 8 threads and sips power, barely uses more than 50 watts all out.

Otherwise an 8350 would work but its way more power hungry and probably slower at single threaded even overclocked! AMD processors are not very efficient compared to Intel at the moment.

But, if you just want a simple box buy something cheap like an fm2 and an APU from AMD. Then you get a low-medium range video card and processor combined.
    michael says thanks.
  12. markaflias

markaflias

Thanks Received:
    Non sense , 3770k is the best you got in that price range with the 4770k . I thing the only one is a 9570 but tdp is 220w , and even this one dont gets close to the 3770k . Intel´s IPC has no challenger out there.
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2013
    michael says thanks.
  13. michael

Thanks Received:
    Ohhh WOW!
    This Intel Xeon 1230v2 looks great for VMs and also 1220.
    But which motherboard suits for Intel Xeon 1230v2.
    and what kind of RAM I need to buy for that, and Can I keep this in Cooler Master E130, I think I cant, but which fancy looking cabinet you can suggest me for this Server. For me looks to matter just like my Lan Boy Air which is still to get many stuff to add on.

I WANT TO MAKE THIS CASE LESS POWER CONSUMING AND COMPACT ONE.

Please advise.
  14. Aithos

Thanks Received:
    In what? Intel and AMD processors have different architechtures and are good at different types of tasks. Generally, Intel is better at gaming and brute force processing, AMD is usually better at heavily threaded applications like 3d modeling and virtualization. So it really depends on what you're trying to do. If you intend to play games there isn't really a CPU in AMDs lineup that is going to be better than the 3770k, or the newer Haswell CPUs. For encoding and 3d modeling the 8350 with a decent overclock should be pretty good for a reasonable price.
  15. michael

Thanks Received:
    Do you mean to say AMD is better for Virtulization than Intel ? However I dont want to go for AMD as it is more power consuming.
    I think I should go for Intel E3 1200 but now I want to know the best motherboard for it , which can support ECC and has 32GB ram support. and I would be more than happy if I could get it in miro-ATX M/B.
    In short I want to put this intel Xeon in small size cabinet not huge one as I already own lan boy.
  16. james888

james888

Thanks Received:
    For the E1200, it does not need a special motherboard or ram. If you look at varios specs, he had xeon in his 3770k rig before upgrading to a 3770k for overclocking.
    michael says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  17. michael

Thanks Received:
    Please name it. I checked varios one they don't support
  18. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    what exactly are you going to be doing by running 10vms?
  19. Aithos

Thanks Received:
    No, I wasn't saying AMD is better for virtualization, I was giving examples of things that each company does well. You have to figure out what you are using your system for and then narrow down the CPUs you are considering and THEN compare them. As a general rule Intel is superior in less threaded applications and AMD is better in heavily threaded applications. But that's only when you look at their average consumer lineup, if you start looking at the "extreme" lineup or the enterprise stuff then it's a whole different story. I don't claim to know anything about the pro lineup, if that's what you're interested in I'm not your guy...
    michael says thanks.
  20. markaflias

markaflias

Thanks Received:
  21. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    Look at my specs too. It was the cheapest 1155 board I could find. :)
    michael says thanks.
  22. michael

Thanks Received:
    yes, I checked it, but could not find Xeon support in supported processor.

Guys, I have decided I will go for Xeon 1220 only for my VMs. I created my lan boy air as kind of Show Piece which still to get pampered.
    I can not buy E1220 untill Feb.

However I am currently thinking about under $180 priced CPU and Mtherboard for for day to day task ike surfing net, playing movie and whihc will be lowest in power consumption.

So I came across this case Antec ISK 310-150 Black Mini-ITX Desktop Computer Case which has only 150W PSU is it good? If yes, will pentium processor with 8Gb RAM work well with it?

How about Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H Motherboard + Intel 2.9 GHz LGA1155 G2020 Processor only RS. Rs. 8536 (currently $100 = Rs.6200,) Will this combination do well, can I keep this on for whole day to download contents from Internet.

This Intel 2.9 GHz LGA1155 G2020 requires only 55W Power.

-Will Antec ISK 310-150 150W PSU hold this Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H Motherboard + Intel 2.9 GHz LGA1155 G2020 Processor with 8GB Ram ?
    -If not What is the minimum PSU watt is required to run above spec (Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H Motherboard + Intel 2.9 GHz LGA1155 G2020 Processor)?

I would just love to see a tiny Case doing things for me whihc I can keep ON for days.

Please advise on this.

(You people may thinking I am asking too many questions, but believe me this thread has given me best choice of E3 1220, now I will go only for this but not now. now I want some cheap ones like above)
  23. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    Okay for one, turning off your fans isn't going to do much for power savings, as fans use like 5w. Should be looking at the amount of hard drives you are running, CPU, and graphics card.

And if you are truly trying to save on power, the FX8350 is not the chip to get. If you are wanting to run a ton of VMs, should be looking at a Xeon e5 chip (not even a e3) and 32gb+ of memory (Obviously depending on how much memory you plan to allocate per VM).

Also just word of warning, refrain from talking about anything involving torrents and piracy on these forums.
    michael says thanks.
  24. michael

Thanks Received:
    I am having 12 fans for lan boy.

Yes I understand, but I want to know how my above Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H Motherboard + Intel 2.9 GHz LGA1155 G2020 Processor will work for normal pc stuff and 24 hours online time.?

Thanks
  25. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    Why do you have 12 fans in that case? Sounds like a lot of noise, and dust going into that system.

And that motherboard and CPU will work fine. Having more than one system is not going to help you on the power consuming issue. Your just adding another thing in your house hold to draw power. Also there is no need to have the system running at night when you aren't using it, so just turn it off.
    michael says thanks.