1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Which Total security software is better?

Discussion in 'General Software' started by freebird_9924, Jul 8, 2009.

?

Which Total security software is better?

1. Bitdefender 2009

11.1%
  2. Norton

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. McAfee

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Kaspersky

50.0%
  5. Eztrust

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Other [Post your review]

38.9%
  1. freebird_9924

Thanks Received:
    Which Total security software is better?​

Bitdefender/Kaspersky/McAfee/Other?

And which doesnt slows down pc much?

I'm on c2d 1.66MHZ and 2.5gb ram.

Please vote it and post your reviews.

2. wiak

wiak

Thanks Received:
    Eset Smart Security + MalwareBytes Anti-Malware ;)

3. mlee49

mlee49

Thanks Received:
    +1 for MalwareBytes, lite and free :)

Kaspersky is good too.

4. Akumos

Akumos

Thanks Received:
    I don't use total security software, I use seperate

5. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    i personally use seperate but i run comodo internet security its av and firewall..i run it on mutiple machines in the house its relatively light very option friendly its downside is it has learning mode which means it prompts you for alot of the things you do asking if its allowed and what it is....for example you can select trusted program windows system file etc and then select "always allow" or "never allow" its a bit tiresom at first but it learns quick and protection is very good.

6. Easo

Easo

Thanks Received:
    Kaspersky, i like those blocked network attacks 3-5 times a day.

7. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    kaspersky.

8. Triprift

Triprift

Thanks Received:
    Another one for Kaspersky.

9. DaveK

DaveK

Thanks Received:
  10. Wetbehindtheears New Member

Thanks Received:
    Eset NOD32 plus MalwareByte & Spybot

11. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received:
    I agree here avast and malewarebytes are the best for protection and both are free! I believe Avast to be the very best right now and out does most paid for apps.

avast>> http://filehippo.com/download/file/d1744d6c6efbc4c5710ca48e1263f6064c6f5388f11984c15b417960df83a3f0/

malewarbytes >>> http://filehippo.com/download/file/472f7393c19cbdaf08a0748623f3aae91a11ee8c00dcd9f6ab29e2ac94e8eb86/

good luck!

12. laszlo

laszlo

Thanks Received:

i think your poll is not so relevant because this concept "total security" doesn't exist in real word;we don't(and won't) have 100% detection & protection software's ;in my humble opinion even if we use one or a combination of different security soft the "total protection" is a full back-up of os & data which can't be affected by anything except the physical damage of the support (hdd,dvd,flash etc.)

13. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    so what your saying is, it doesnt matter what you choose to run or not run at all. (no firewall/av protection) if your gonna get infected/hacked then its inevitable & the best thing to do is to keep a back up of your system & keep reloading it every time it gets bogged down by malware & sends your credit card details to scammer????

your thinking is flawed. everyone knows that not every security suite gives you 100% protection. but there are software that comes damn well close to it & thats what this topic is about. In any case its better to be prepared then let the have a field day with your system & wrecking it. I'l let you waste time reloading copies of your beloved rig. Id rather keep the same installation going on as long as possible

Kaspersky 2010 or Norton 2009 gets my vote, but Kaspersky is still very buggy.

14. h3llb3nd4

h3llb3nd4 New Member

Thanks Received:
    that's what I use:)

15. laszlo

laszlo

Thanks Received:

please show me where i wrote that is not good to use protection...

i also use a/v &firewall and a few days ago my beloved a/v didn't detect anything and i was blessed with malware but i have full os back-up and in 5 min. all was forget and this is why i consider this so important don't you agree?

16. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    I dont need to, its just the way you made your post sound & your doing it again. you favour complete backups of the system rather then trust security software to keep your system safe so whats the point of running security software if it will only take 5mins to restore a complete back up of your system???

No i dont agree & if theres malware, trojans & virus's apearing on your system even though you do have security installed then maybe its time you tried running a different security suite & not go spreading false information

17. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received:
    laszlo, using McAfee's security suite is like using nothing at all so I understand complete back ups ....I know you didnt say McAfee is what you use but I have a funny feeling if your relying on complete system back ups then you are probably using a McAfee suite.

18. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    haha Probably - Ive always had a dislike for McAfee since since I tested a load of firewalls out for a college project back in 2002/03 totally useless.

19. laszlo

laszlo

Thanks Received:

i don't want to flame or argue for nothing.. i use nod and funny thing is that i scanned the file (before opening as usual) and the report was ok... the malware in our days is hided so well that no matter what a/v is used is remain hidden till you open :laugh:

i almost forget.. FreedomEclipse because the effort and time needed to clean the infected os(which we'll be maybe corrupted or instable after cleaning) i prefer a fresh install from the back-up;it take only 5 minutes from my time....

to answer to your last post

firewall has nothing to do when you execute an infected program (which is clean according to a/v)

Last edited: Jul 9, 2009
  20. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    what firewall are you running or are you running the Eset Nod32 smart security suite? Kaspersky & Norton does a great job of detecting malware in advance.

Just because your having a bad time with 1 security software doesnt mean that all the others fall into the same 'bad' category

well unless your computers a rust bucket & you dont have 50 terrabites of space to scan. virus/malware scans should be done in 30mins/1hr (more depending on your system specs) or so. hardly what i would call a long time.

security is very important to me. if it needs to run a scan i let it run.

::EDIT::

it doesnt take ANY effort at all. just set the scan up to quarentine or delete all of the suspicious/infected files & off you go. you dont have to lift a finger. hardly time consuming.

21. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received:
    Sorry I meant no disrespect.

22. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    In any case - I dont think that 'THAT' file you scanned is infected - but your system has ALREADY been infected somehow & you didnt get around to cleaning it. since you rather waste time reinstalling the O/S which takes MORE effort & is MORE time consuming in my opinion & its even worse since your doing a clean install, not restoring it from an image.

23. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    I moved off nod for reasons like that. it tended to miss things hidden inside rar files, or installers - worked fine for zips tho.

24. DRDNA

DRDNA

Thanks Received:
    We are all right on this topic...We should use protection and we should keep a recent back up .....people here also reinstall their OS's as much as once a week because of many reasons...some of us here never reinstall an OS unless hardware upgrade force it.....some of here just have no clue and thats why they are here , so they can get a clue..... It really doesn't mater as long as you are wise about what you are doing and if there is no wisdom then TPU is a great place to get wisdom and it is free.Cheers!

freebird_9924 and laszlo say thanks.
  25. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    i can have a brand new install of 7 up and gaming in 25 minutes ;) (that includes install time for kaspersky, drivers, and steam). I just dont like the idea of viruses eating my data (again), so i never run without a good AV these days. (FWIW, i was on nod32 when some worm ate my network, and trashed 30GB of shared music)