1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Which type of hard drive should I buy?

Discussion in 'Storage' started by El_Mayo, Oct 18, 2012.

1. El_Mayo

El_Mayo

Thanks Received:
    I've started a Filmmaking course and I need a hard drive to store all my videos. I'm thinking an external HDD would be ideal, but could I edit and render videos stored on the HDD at a reasonable speed? Or would I have to copy from external to internal HDD before editing?

Or would a USB3 external be fast enough to edit from? I'll be using the HDD with both Windows (Premiere) and Mac (Avid)

2. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Depends on your needs, I find internal ones much better, and if money is no objection SSD is super wonderful. However, at the end of the day unless you are good with compression and prioritising space I think the bigger the better, regardless of medium (internal, external, etc).

3. erixx

erixx

Thanks Received:
    Do not go external. USB 3 / Thunderbird external is fast for casual use, but working on movie projects? No.

Maybe E-Sata if your case has that slit.

Big SSD are becoming cheaper... I would get one at least for your working projects, and a 2T HDD SATA for storing (plus another 2TB for backups, int or ext)

El_Mayo and Chevalr1c say thanks.
  4. largon

largon

Thanks Received:
    Buy 3+ drives and put them in RAID5. You get speed and safety.

5. El_Mayo

El_Mayo

Thanks Received:
    Would a green drive be okay for storage of clips? Or would it be too slow to edit from

6. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Too slow is subjective. However, I personally think the difference between Green and Black drives are not that significant. Others might find Black drives much better.

7. drdeathx

drdeathx

Thanks Received:
    With the price of SSD's being low that would be my call but they cost more than platter drives. You could go a Solid Stae drive for your OS and proograms and get a 1.5T(HDD) drive for the movies and move them back and forth between the 2.

8. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Since video editing does a lot of saving and can have huge file sizes, I don't recommend an SSD.

9. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    When you are video editing, RAM is your best friend. I would start by loading all the RAM you can in your mobo. If 8GB is the max for you mobo, you may want to consider one that will hold more.
    If that is not doable, I would get the biggest SSD you can afford. Keep your current (working) projects on that and when you are finished with them off-load them to whatever kind of HDD you like.

Just my 2 cents.

El_Mayo says thanks.
  10. Delta6326

Delta6326

Thanks Received:
    El_Mayo says thanks.
  11. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    search the drives that have bigger cache
    it would help when you are running in heavy task

12. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    Yeah if you do go external definitely eSATA or USB3 if possible.

13. redeye

redeye

Thanks Received:
    speed is king in videoeditting.... thus all the 1337 suggestions do not mean anything... so i would find out what video-editor you are going to use and use the suggestions that the software gives you....

or because speed is king in editting, external drives are out... (but using a thunderwire on a mac might be good)

thou, in editting you probably are going to use cut-lists, and prerendered video for speed in editting (the original video is reduced in size to speed up the editting searches etc.. so the speed of the hard drive is really important...

TL;DR. the wd red drive 3TB is a good one ... silentpcreview.com or storagereview.com have good reviews of it.

if you are going to be using a laptop for editting... (GASP) go with the mac and a thunderbolt drive (expensive YES) but, before the iPhone craze, Apple was known for editting on a laptop.

if using premiere... just get what the prog/teacher suggests and learn the Techniques of editting... skill/talent/ability is more important than the equipment.

El_Mayo says thanks.
  14. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    I'm presently looking at drives too, something I am not usually in the market for, but have different needs than you. I want to test various storage solutions and RAID levels with an emphasis on server-based workload so I moreso need lots of drives as opposed to lots of space. So, for me, the best deals I am finding right now seem to be 1TBs for around $70. I'd rather buy a bunch of good 500Gbs but hard to go that route when I can't find them cheaper than $50.

Yeah that WD red 3TB seems to be a good option for you. Dunno about UK prices either, though...