• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Which UHD TV?

System Name octo1
Processor dual Xeon 2687W ES
Motherboard Supermicro
Cooling dual Noctua NH-D14
Memory generic ECC reg
Video Card(s) 2 HD7950
Storage generic
Case Rosewill Thor
I recently described the issue I'm having with my current hdtv which is a Sony Bravia I got a little over a year ago, so needless to say, I won't be considering anything made by Sony.

My other requirements are things like, it's a true 4k set, so no 1.4 HDMI ports, LED backlighting (which seems pretty much standard anyway) but most importantly that the manufacturer have a good track record for reliability.

With that in mind, my current choice is the Samsung UN55HU8550. Samsung seems to get consistently good marks on Amazon and they seem to have the highest reviewed sets. Plus I've had a few of their monitors and they seem to last forever, even the older fluorescent illuminated ones.

I was thinking about one of the newer curved models but I'm not sure how I would feel about that when viewing from different angles.

I guess my second choice for a manufacturer would be LG, but I'm open to suggestions. Thanks for any help you can offer.

Also, as a secondary issue, I'll probably get a service contract this time. I don't generally like doing that since I think they're a waste of money. The people that write them usually find a way to screw you over. But the one that Amazon offers is through Square Trade and they seem to have a ridiculously high user rating. So either the rating is bogus or they're actually pretty good. If anyone has any experience with them, that's also appreciated.

A friend of mine had a contract for her lappie through Costco and got it repaired recently with no problem. So Costco is the other place I might go depending on what they have in stock. The online selection sucks so I'll have to see what they have in the store but any experience with their service contracts would also be helpful.