1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Which wireless router should I buy?

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by SirJangly, Mar 30, 2009.

1. SirJangly

SirJangly New Member

Thanks Received:
    So here is my situation. I have an a/b wireless router right now, set up between my desktop and xbox 360. Both are connected directly through ethernet cable. The speed of the wireless is fine for the wi/fi on my phone, but I have recently purchased a 1000he (arriving on monday!), and would like to get something to match its performance (it has n). Our house is 4,000 square feet, if that makes a difference. I was thinking of these options:

Netgear WRG614
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833122016

TRENDnet TEW-652BRP
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833156242

ASUS WL-520gU
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833320023

Now, do I even need N? What would make me want to go with N over G? I will be using the netbook for homework, and some youtube video/gaming (starcraft). Thanks in advance, let me know if I need to provide more info!

Oh yeah I forgot to add, I would like to spend <$50, if possible.

Edit: I would also like to be able to have access to the printer from the netbook, so I may print documents directly, if this is possible
  2. A Cheese Danish

A Cheese Danish

Thanks Received:
    If you go N, The speed will be matched with the new netbook. But with the other devices that use a/b/g, they won't exceed the speeds of those standards. But if you get an N, all the ranges would be reached and you could even be outside and still have a great signal. N would probably better for the 360 as well.
    And the links don't work.
    You can hook up your printer through either the ethernet port or if it has wireless, then you can hook it up wirelessly.

Edit: I think the Asus would be the one that would be great for you
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2009
  3. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    I think 802.11n is worth it. The range is much greater and so are the speeds. Having used n, I'd never go back to b/g.

Printing over the network is best handled by a network printer. Brother makes a lot of good ones for ~$100.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. SirJangly

SirJangly New Member

Thanks Received:
    My internet is dsl, and is at the 6mb speed. I download at 600k/sec, to clarify things. I have heard that my speed won't even max out G.

Also, how is that asus? The reviews seem good, and it has a usb for the printer. My xbox 360 is wired.
  5. A Cheese Danish

A Cheese Danish

Thanks Received:
    The reviews seem really great like you said. Haven't had any personal experience with it, but it does have I think 5 or 6 ports in the back for hard wire ethernet connections.
    My parents have a G in about the same size house, and it works perfectly. They have a 7.5MB dl speed and I still get a strong signal, even outside. And my notebook has a wireless N in it as well.