1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Which would be better?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by xfire, Sep 12, 2008.

1. xfire

xfire New Member

Thanks Received:
    My cousin has build identical to mine except for the processor which is an x2 5200+.
    Every time he starts a game his comp restarts. This only occurs with games and applications like Photoshop and Corel Draw work fine.
    Since the chance for the IGP to die is very slim I'm thinking the problem could be that only a 4 pin plug from the PSU has been put instead of a 8-pin.(The 5200+ must be drawing a lot more power than my 4000+)
    I'm thinking of getting a converter either a 4-pin to 8-pin converter or a molex to 4-pin and put two 4-pins. So which of the two would be better?
    Will the 4-pin be able to deliver enough power to 8-pins when converted?
  2. xfire

xfire New Member

Thanks Received:
    Anyone? I has cookies.
  3. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    First, Is he OC'd?

Second, Theirs an 8 pin on his board? I am 100% positive 8 pins are only need with quads and above(future proof talk :p).

Third, Very well could be the power supply taking a dive. One other action you could try is to do a backup and reinstall your OS.
    xfire says thanks.
  4. xfire

xfire New Member

Thanks Received:
    Not OC'ed. The 690G was released before Phenoms. There is a 8-pin on my board which is the same as his. The OS is a fresh install but I'll tell him to do that.
  5. GameSinewPCs

GameSinewPCs New Member

Thanks Received:
    If the system is crashing during load ups for 'intensive' applications then odds are pretty good that its either the psu or the memory. First run memtest (multiple instances until all memory is being tested) for an extended period of time such as 12 hours, the longer the better. With that said you will usually notice and produce errors, if the memory is indeed the problem, almost immediately (due to the nature of your symptoms). If the mem-test comes up dry, try the reformat/reinstalling windows, but also test your psu if at all possible (use your psu in his system or something of equivelancy).

As for the 8-pin cpu power connector, your motherboard doesn't seem to support phenom quadcores which is odd as I've never encountered a situation where a dual-core processor needed 8 pin power. However, with that said even most quad cores don't need the 8-pin connector to work properly so it really should be an irrelevant factor either way.

Also, more information might be helpful. When your system crashes, do any system error messages show up, any system beeps or other unusual activities? Does the system freeze, shut off or restart. Also, what type of PSU are you two running, as powersupplies from non-named brand companies can often times be very flakey.
    xfire says thanks.
  6. xfire

xfire New Member

Thanks Received:
    The system just goes black. No other error messages.
    All we get here is cheapo companies. He has one by supercomp. Only recently cooler master is available that too only in 500W variant.
  7. GameSinewPCs

GameSinewPCs New Member

Thanks Received:
    Have you tried the memtest as suggested (this probably isn't the issue considering the system sems to be dying)? Also, try a different power supply (known to be working) in the rig.
  8. xfire

xfire New Member

Thanks Received:
    An update: My cousin ran Memtest for an hour and there were no errors. He told me that WOW is working and as longing as it's working it doesn't matter to him if other games work.