1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

'Whine' from GPU under high frame rate?

Discussion in 'NVIDIA' started by James1o1o, Dec 29, 2011.

1. James1o1o

James1o1o

Thanks Received:
    I have noticed a strange whining noise coming from my graphics card. It only seems to happen when I am playing a game in which I have a high frame rate. The most noticeable game for this is Team Fortress 2, I hit 300fps constant and the whine is huge, if I lock the frame rate down to 120, the sound is a lot less noticeable and if I lock it to 60 it virtually disappears. I managed to grab a recording of the noise whitest playing TF2.

My guess is that this is the capacitors or something whining but I just want someone to confirm for me. My system specification is on my profile to the left, and the noise happens if the card is over clocked or not, and as I said, it only happens under high frame rate.

http://soundcloud.com/jamessmyth1993/graphics-card-whine#

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The image was taken at the same time as the recording.

2. fullinfusion

fullinfusion 1.21 Gigawatts

Thanks Received:
    Yup its a cap or some other electronic whine for sure... Why dont you set V-sync on and for get about the 300 fps? at least you don't get tearing on the screen.... and your saving the life on your gpu :cool:

James1o1o says thanks.
  3. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    Could be the caps or many things, My card whines when I run F@H and when I overvolt the crap out of it.

James1o1o says thanks.
    10 Million points folded for TPU
  4. James1o1o

James1o1o

Thanks Received:
    Should I be worried about it? I don't even need to use V-sync, I can just use the console command 'fps_max 120'.

It happens if I overvolt or not, I'm not pushing it to the edge or anything, its running at 1062mv. It happens at stock voltage and even at 1100mv.

Thanks for the quick replys guys!

5. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    its fine. its probably a coil. it may also be because of the fan.

James1o1o says thanks.
  6. James1o1o

James1o1o

Thanks Received:
    Should have mentioned that in my original post. :banghead:

Its definitely not the fan, I know that for fact, I have tried setting it to a constant 40% (Default value), constant 100% and auto.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2011
  7. Solaris17

Thanks Received:
    i said might be. and it very well could be the fan. Iv seen it happen to peoples cards. sometimes it happens at weird auto settings like 66% but it wont work with the same percent again. Next time before you ask for help get under the impression that you might be wrong. That way I dont have to get angry so early in the morning. your card isnt going to blow up. Some cards have wine some dont and some develop it. It isnt anything to worry about until the card starts malfunctioning. If you dont like it turn the music up stop playing TF2 or sell it to someone that doesnt care. Have a nice day.

8. James1o1o

James1o1o

Thanks Received:
    Uh I don't know if I came across wrong or something but all I did was reply that its definitely not the fan, I am not computer illiterate, I do know the difference between electrical noise and physical noise from a fan. There was no need to reply with such an attitude there.

9. Solaris17

Thanks Received:
    I wasnt talking about fan noise. I was talking about the power circuitry that controls the voltage supplied to the fan when it is ramping up. some frequncies make it resonate.

10. arnoo1

Thanks Received:
    Coil whiNe my friend, contact msi about it, the quaranty no coil whine because of the components they use on there cards

11. MN12BIRD

MN12BIRD

Thanks Received:
    Yeah probably a coil filter (choke) in the PWM voltage regulation circuit of the video card. I had an Asus 8600GTS Silent that whined like crazy but only when playing something really demanding. The card worked perfectly when I had it for several years until I sold it and as far as I know it's still working to this day (I've seen it since in the guys PC I sold it to) so I know it lasted at least 4 years and had no issues. So it might not be anything to worry about.

I think Solaris is also right it could be the fan speed control circuit those type of circuits are also known to cause whine when trying to run the fan at a specific speed there's like feedback in the PWM circuit that can cause a humming or buzzing noise in the electro magnetic field of the fans motor but it's not really the actual fan itself making the noise. I had a fan controller that would cause a loud humming noise in some fans if set to certain speeds.

You could try using software to manually set the fan speed to different speeds in the higher range and see if that causes the noise. When the card is idle but the fan speed is up and you don't get the noise than you know its is caused by the GPU being under heavy load and not the fan controller. When the card is running harder the GPU needs more power so that's why it only happens when you play a demanding game.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2011
  12. naelamer New Member

Thanks Received: