1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Who'll be the better president?

Discussion in 'TPU Frontpage Polls' started by W1zzard, Oct 1, 2008.

?

Who'll be the better president?

Poll closed Oct 6, 2008.
  1. Barack Obama

1,290 vote(s)
    57.9%
  2. John McCain

333 vote(s)
    14.9%
  3. But I want George W. Bush

177 vote(s)
    7.9%
  4. Don't care

429 vote(s)
    19.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rammsteiner New Member

Thanks Received:
    Nah, I'd vote for him because he does not waste my tax money on stupid real life Red Alert games in the Middle East, he creates less of a reason for eventual further direct attacks on USA and his running mate ain't some scary 'pro-life' women which supports guns.

Raising taxes, sucks. But it's not all about taxes. USA population has to learn how to threat their money. A huge rate of current 'poor' people, well, define poor, in USA shouldnt have had anything to worry if they didnt loan money to buy a car, go on holiday etc. Normal people save up for that stuff. I learned that as soon as I got my first money when I was 5 years old, and this always suited me very well. Especially if I saw my friends having debts of 200 Euro's by their parents, not able to get this and do that.
    Apocolypse007 and farlex85 say thanks.
  2. Bigjohn

Bigjohn

Thanks Received:
    Two points, Ramsteiner...
    # The top 10% of income earners in this country pay over 70% of all income taxes. The top 1% of income earners earn around 19% of all income, but they pay almost 39% of all income taxes. When these people don't want to give up a larger share of their earnings Obama call's them "selfish."

# When someone is content to sit on their butts and wait for Obama to transfer some wealth from someone else to their pockets they are not "selfish."
  3. mdm-adph

mdm-adph New Member

Thanks Received:
    I love how something like 90% of what the DrudgeReport.com covers is from news articles linked from "Breitbart.com"... :laugh:

Once again Republicans in the US are twisting Obama's words -- Obama never said he would "bankrupt the coal industry."

He stated that after developing clean coal technology (which he supports), developing regular coal-fired power plants wouldn't be "economically feasible" anymore.

Try again.
  4. farlex85

farlex85 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Your not really making points to him, as he addressed taxes, and you in no way replied to what he said. I don't know why you can't understand taxes are not the most important thing to everybody. A debate requires a reply to the first's comments, not simply regurgitating rhetoric over and over.
    Rammsteiner says thanks.
  5. Palit_Guy

Palit_Guy Palit Representative

Thanks Received:
  6. ManofGod

Thanks Received:
    farlex85, I am sorry, but I do not see anything rhetorical in what he just said, just truth.
    Bigjohn says thanks.
  7. farlex85

farlex85 New Member

Thanks Received:
    That's fine you share his same opinions, yes, his rhetoric was factual (at least the first point, well, half of the first point). It was still in no way a response to what Rammsteiner said, and he has been repeating the same stuff over and over as a response to all sorts of things. If your gonna respond to someone address what they said, not just what you see as important, especially when it's already been done ad nauseum.
  8. thoughtdisorder

thoughtdisorder New Member

Thanks Received:
    Come on guys, play nice!:)

Isn't it wonderful we can have these discussions openly without fear of getting our doors kicked in some night? Please remember, regardless of the outcome of the election, we may be Republicans, Democrats, Independents, etc., but MOST importantly we're Americans with the same wants and desires as one another including globally. :toast:
  9. Psychoholic

Thanks Received:
    wow, well over 2000 Posts in this thread... it could go on forever you know as talking to obama supporters is like trying to talk sense into a brick wall. :laugh:
    pepsi71ocean says thanks.
  10. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    As I hope this thread will be closed after the election is over. Oh.. That's today! Rejoice!:D
    Tatty_One and Namslas90 say thanks.
  11. WhiteLotus

WhiteLotus

Thanks Received:
    fixed
    farlex85 says thanks.
  12. Paulieg

Paulieg The Mad Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I've resisted posting on this topic because I do not really want to get in an argument with the far left and the far right. I'm fiscally conservative and socially liberal, so this election has been hard for me. In the end, I did vote for Obama for two reasons. First, I work as a Vocational Rehabilitation counselor, which requires federal funding to exist. Dems will not cut funding for these types of programs, and Republicans have a history of cutting funding to human services. Second, if John McCain keels over in the White House, I'm scared to death of what Sarah Palin might do. She''ll have kids praying in school, and women considering abortion taken away to never be heard from again....
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2008
  13. ckoons1

Thanks Received:
    Ask yourself today as you get ready to vote "WHAT KIND OF COMPUTER CAN THEY BUILD?" HA!HA!HA!HA!
  14. pepsi71ocean New Member

Thanks Received:
    You know that tax stimulus package that bush gave, of the 830 Billion, around 700 or 800 billion went to the wealthy, so they could turn around and buy luxury yachts, and fast cars, and spend money and in turn if you buy that 60 foot luxury yacht, your employing people to build that yacht, and those are your middle class. By doing so, the trickle down effect has been proven to work. It was done by some democrat professor that showed how the rick get the tax breaks and the poor don't, that did all this math. And he also said that if you sent the middle class that 800 Billion, everyone would receive around 350 dollars. and we all know that the middle class would just bank that money, and then it would not help stimulate the economy. They would, because 350 buck is not enough o spend on something, but just enough to live on. I know i lived in a world where i made 375 a week, and that was not enough to go spend money on.
    Obama's plan to raise taxes will kill the economy, because its the top 10% of the income owners that employ 90% of the middle class. So so you effectively kill of things this way. Obama is all smoke and mirrors because he shows the middle class that he fights for them, and yet, everyone thinks that taking from the rich and giving to the poor will help, and history has proven that it doesn't.
    Bigjohn says thanks.
  15. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I hear ya. I'm a little more impatient, you already know why :)
  16. pepsi71ocean New Member

Thanks Received:
    I doubt he will keel over, all the injuries he has sustained were in Vietnam, and thus these "operations" are all done to help rebuild muscle and shoulders that were destroyed through torture of US Soldiers in Vietnam.

Besides Palin can't force kids to do prayers in school, Separation of Church and State, its says so in the constitution.
  17. Rammsteiner New Member

Thanks Received:
    I already let you know in almost every post I made in this thread I do not support this kind of economic policies, at least not in such huge numbers. Top x% paying, lets say, 1~2% more is fine with me, but that's about it.

My dad pays 50% taxes as well, and he ain't even on a top x% list... I guess... 36K/year + eventual 30K bonus. It ain't middle class either, but you get the point. 50% tax with that income is crap, but also with any income it's stll crap.

Ive told you this a thousand times, but I'd still rather pay more taxes than some redneck playing Rambo where ever he feels like. Especially since his Rambo hobby is being paid by your tax, especially because his Rambo hobby is actually a threath for your country and especially because his Rambo hobby draws certain, stupid, EU leaders with him, making us more vulnerable too. And not for Russia, not for China, but for anti-USA who see their list of targets rise every second and the possibility to be caught before they strike, due to the huge and still growing area, is diminishing rapidly.

Chosing between those two is already very hard for me since Im seriously liberal. Not pro-capitalism, but I do not support huge tax increases among richer people at all. That's also why I said earlier, which got completely denied by Ford IIRC, is that it's a shame USA elections only have 2 real parties instead of like 5~6 parties which form a coalition after the counts have been voted. Cause as said, one party gets chosen and the percentage of missing votes for him is the percentage that's not entirely happy with the new government, and that's been for about 2 years now ~50% of the population.

Maybe you didnt know this, but what you think ain't the truth. It's an opinion, or an illusion for that matter. And you can have your own illusions/opinions/brainfarts, but dont put them down as 'truth'. It's ironic as well, 'ManofGod' talking about truth, but well, lets not go there anyway.
  18. newconroer

newconroer

Thanks Received:
    1. Given the context of the conversation, you'd think you could catch the sardonic nature of my post...hence if anything, tell him that, not me.

2. You can't make an exception? He's a vendor representative, who wants to post personal opinions, but not have them degrade or tarnish his reputation in regards to his employment. I would think that for his sake as well as TPUs, that having him possess a 'free roam' personnel account is more preferred.

It's not like he's doing it to avoid a ban, or avoid people catching him doing 'bad things.' He's not doing it just to throw his fist at 'the system!'

Though making his name "NOT the Palit Guy" was not my idea of being discreet.
  19. ckoons1

Thanks Received:
    AMEN
    pepsi71ocean says thanks.
  20. newconroer

newconroer

Thanks Received:

Haha, I get that feeling when I talk to derranged liberals.

Hey hey...watch the Hitler reference-bashing. Obama and McCain are not even 1/10th the man Adolf was. He changed the world! By the time Obama and McCain ever get around to making a difference, they'll be old enough to change their own diapers...

And if anyone wants to draw a cartoon about that; it would be good political sattire :)

Well, get rid of the income tax and people with big hearts will also now have big enough wallets to build and fund private institutions that help disabled or challenged persons. Then, noone has to pay for it with their taxes, and the issue becomes a moot point.

This also applies to research foundations, as well as medical institutes and many other things.

The u.S. survived many years on simple tax and tarrifs alone. There has never been a fundamental need for income tax. It only became a necessity when America began investing badly and throwing money at inexcusable ventures.

Obama is all smoke and mirrors because he's a politician's politician. It doesn't get any more simple than that.
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2008
    pepsi71ocean and Bigjohn say thanks.
  21. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    The only way a Republican could do anything in this political climate is to convince the Democrats of the House and Senate to play along. Palin seems to be more of the Bush type: My way or the highway. As such, if Palin did become President, it would have little impact. Palin would veto every bill that was pro-abortion and the House/Senate would override it. Palin, in effect, would just slow the process down and not change anything.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  22. Paulieg

Paulieg The Mad Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I was certainly being dramatic. Of course she couldn't make this happen, though I'd guess she would think about it. It's all about knowing who these people are when no one is watching or listening.
  23. Tatty_One

Tatty_One Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    That comment is pretty commonplace throughout the western world so hardly is an argument for or against a particular candidate TBH, there are plenty of countries that tax it's citizens higher than yours......if you refuse to vote for a candidate/party that is going to tax you then your never going to vote................and you know what you said in an earlier post?...................

"A no vote is a vote for Obama" :D
  24. Rammsteiner New Member

Thanks Received:
    Meh, anyhow, Palin is scaring the fuck out of me:rolleyes:

She's the type of leader we fear to rule in the Mid East, religious politician leader. Now Palin ain't a religious leader, but her dedication to christianity ain't doing anything good.

She might not get children to pray in any school, especially not in advanced places, although in small distanced patriotic areas she might actually have an impact. You see that all around the world basicly. Now for the population there, they wouldnt really care, but for any 'import', they'll suffer under it.

Also Im curious wtf would happen if a Palestinian would fart in israel, since she's quite pro-israel... Im not suspecting things or anything, she might just do nothing about it but on the other hand with her religious dedication, it's not something joyfull to think about. In the end she'll be the leader of one of the very few world powers, she wont have to fear anything from a bigger power so to say (world powers generally dont start a fight right away heh) and basicly she can do anything she likes. Of course, for the picky readers, not anything, but lets take Bush and his Iraqi was for example, that wasnt all that clear either.
  25. Tatty_One

Tatty_One Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Your obviously a Republican then :rolleyes: