1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Why are my download speeds so bad?!?!

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by jasper1605, Sep 10, 2010.

1. jasper1605

Thanks Received:
    Hey all, I'm very novice when it comes to networking so I apologize if the answer is easy and I do not have it.

I'm paying for a 6 mb/s connection and my downloads right now are running at a blistering 70kb/s maximum coming off of a microsoft server and also off of starcraft patch dl's. Could a slowdown be getting introduced through either a modem (a fairly new motorola from the ISP) that is not up to speed or a router (netgear wireless g that is password protected, about 4 years old) that is outdated?

BTW: my connection is on a direct ethernet line but wireless is set up so my laptop can be roaming. The cable is a 50ft cat6 connecting computer to router.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2010
  2. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    6gb/s? You sure thats accurate?

Crunching for Team TPU
  3. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    I know its not right :laugh:

Crunching for Team TPU
  4. jasper1605

Thanks Received:
    good call. what was meant to be said was 6 mb/s. Apologies. Although I do live in Grand Rapids, MI which is where google fiber was considering going into so it could become a reality soon! :)

5. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    Is the speed faster if you run an ethernet cable straight from the modem to the PC? If so the router could have some settings (most notoriously QoS) that could be slowing things down.

Crunching for Team TPU
  6. jasper1605

Thanks Received:
    I can't test it right now as I've been downloading something for a LONG time and don't want to shut it off for the sake of a test. Let's just assume that it is a lot faster going straight into the modem, can i disable the QoS or is that a no-no?

7. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    Yeah you can. Its pretty simple, just have to navigate some menus. I am sure if you searched google with your exact router info you can find step by step instructions. Or you can just browse through the menu options til you see it (its been a while since I used a netgear router so I don't remember the steps by heart).

jasper1605 says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  8. jasper1605

Thanks Received:
    is there a good side to QoS or is it just an idea that had good intentions but failed to deliver?

9. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    It was supposed to make sure data for things that are sensitive to lag (like VOIP) take priority over something like youtube watching. Usually it just slows down your internet :laugh: Hopefully that is all that is up since its such a simple fix.

jasper1605 says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  10. jasper1605

Thanks Received:
    I hope that it will fix things up too. Thanks for the tip! :)

11. gonzominium

gonzominium New Member

Thanks Received:
    Alot of the time the 6 mbs is only the average bandwidth whch is the case alot of time with broadband unless you have t1 in which they guarentee your bandwidth, try a download like 1 in the morning to test this

12. jasper1605

Thanks Received:
    I just ran speedtest.net and got almost 6 mb/s which i will not complain about. I reset my router back to factory settings and redid the network on that side and gave it a much needed FW upgrade. I also discovered that this little guy (WGR614v7) does not have QoS as far as I have seen at least so that probably was not the issue as it does not have it lol.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 10, 2010
  13. Mavvs New Member

Thanks Received:
    jasper1605: instead of wasting ur time and money on a gaming pc u should enrol on a course and study. if u dont know networking.

are u a kid to play games?

only kids play games. u should study and be worried about ur future. i mean it.

14. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    How is that even relevant to the thread? My head hurts from reading that garbage.

AltecV1, IggSter and jasper1605 say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  15. shevanel

shevanel New Member

Thanks Received:
    sometimes i have to reboot my modem to get it working optimally.. much like a pc i guess..

16. jasper1605

Thanks Received:
    Firstly, confused???
    Secondly, + 1 to Onedub on that.
    Firstly part b, I R inroled in skool. I gon B a doktur sumdai. If my school offered a networking class without 300 pre-req classed going into it I would consider taking it. But then again, if my interest is not in learning all the intricacies of networking why take a semester long class on it when there are people here that are kind enough to offer quick and concise help answers. My interest is medicine and therefore I take classes on it. Also, Matthew 6:26, "Who among you by worrying can add an inch to his height?" :) Don't worry be happy
    Secondly part b, after resetting my router I've fixed the speed of the ethernet lines but my roommate tells me that I have destroyed the wireless lol. Looks like I'll be reconfigging it again.

Is there much of a difference in terms of speed handling capabilities for wireless g to n? I know N says it's faster, but that's just for data transfer within the network and not so much as speeding the internet up itself correct? I've always considered getting an N router just to update a bit so this is why I ask.

17. IggSter

IggSter

Thanks Received:
    Going from wireless G to wireless N will increase your speed and range dramatically within your local network but wont change the speed of your connection to the internet - unless your wireless devices are being severly throttled/bottlenecked by wireless N (I wouldn't imagine so).

One other area to watch out for when running cat5 or 6 cables over 10m:

There are 2 types of cable - solid and braided.
    Solid is meant to run from patch panel to wall socket and braided from wall socket to PC.
    The overall max legnth is 100m - however, the max length for braided is 10m - if you use braided over longer distances you will have terrible problems with your connection.

So the rule of thumb is - 100m max = 10m braid + 90m solid. (solid is cheaper but much stiffer thus harder to install in general)

jasper1605 says thanks.
  18. AltecV1

AltecV1 New Member

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 11, 2010