1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Why are some used video card prices completely out of touch with reality?

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by sliderider, Jan 22, 2011.

1. sliderider

Thanks Received:
    You see them on ebay all the time. People selling 3870x2, 4870x2,GTX295,9800GX2, 8800GTX and Ultra, all for outrageous prices. Why do I want to pay $200 or more for one of these cards when there are faster cards BRAND NEW for the same money? Who would actually pay this much for one of these older cards when so much better is available new AND with a warranty if it breaks? Shouldn't something like a 9800GX2 be only worth about $50 given it's performance and the fact that it is useless in DX11 games? I don't care if you paid $500 for it 3 years ago and it's still in perfect working condition, it's outdated and I can buy better with that money. :banghead:

keakar, SpeedsticK, phobias23 and 2 others say thanks.
  2. Red_Machine

Red_Machine

Thanks Received:
    I couldn't agree more. And it's not just graphics cards!

3. sliderider

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, like the vintage gamers who are getting rooked by the jerks who think a Socket 3 486 motherboard is somehow worth $300.

4. Red_Machine

Red_Machine

Thanks Received:
    £150 for a frigging Pentium 3 laptop! They can kiss my shiny metal ass.

SpeedsticK says thanks.
  5. DonInKansas

DonInKansas

Thanks Received:
    Because in any large group of people, there are going to be stupid ones? This theory isn't exactly limited to Ebay.

6. trickson

trickson OH, I have such a headache

Thanks Received:
    Just don't buy them ? Some people think that they are still an investment when computers are hardly that . They cost a shit load of cash and in 6 month time are worth 1/10th of what you payed for them . Most people think they are still worth every penny but they are living in a fantasy world . when you know the score it makes it easier to buy .

AlienIsGOD says thanks.
  7. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    Idiocy. People will pay it, so people keep selling for that.

Crunching for Team TPU
  8. trickson

Thanks Received:
    Most people think they are getting a deal . This is why , But we all know so we do not buy .

9. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    i guess 1st is coz they bought that stuff on high price, remember ddr1 would more expensive than ddr2 on the same size 2nd. Is it could be rare on the market, coz its been a while 3rd. Maybe they think there some one who would pay more for old school stuff like that

10. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    ^^ 4th There are people abroad that do collect nostalgic PC items. Oh and you're comparison with the 9800GX2, with tesselation aside it can still keep up with today's games. Also, they aren't useless in DX11 games, the game would just be forced to run in a lower DirectX version.

11. scaminatrix

scaminatrix

Thanks Received:
    You'll find a lot of these people are actually companies selling hardware for stupid money. When I first got this X1900 (couple of years ago) the google shopping results said £365.... From a company!

12. trickson

Thanks Received:
    LOL yeah good thing we are the ones in the loop . :D

scaminatrix says thanks.
  13. Red_Machine

Red_Machine

Thanks Received:
    I paid £34 for my Voodoo5 boxed complete, when I'd seen cards on their own go for over £50.

14. carterrob New Member

Thanks Received:
    Northern Virginia Area. About 29 miles south of DC
    Why Old Peripheral still commands a high price

This is a reply in reference to high price older computer components. First is was very expensive to buy those expensive parts in the first place. Second if you lresearch the web-sites for an older Video Cards or even processors especially Intels, you will find that the cost for these components are High and the Demand for them sets the high re-sell value. It is up to the buyer to decide wheather it is better to buy new for a few bucks more or buy a component that is compatible with the system he or she now has and always wanted to upgrade with those peripherals that are now on sell. You take a chance yes, is there a warantee, no. I have purchased a DFI LAn Party 462 socket from England $150.00 and not all the extra were included. The AMD AThlon K6 400 processor was $139.00 to purchase and I looked everywhere to see if I could get this processor cheaper. It was expensive, but that is what I wanted. It functioned for over a year, and then I did something stupid and turned the motherboard into a brick. It wil not come out of post. My experience is if you want something that bad and it is old you will pay for the Glory, even if it does not make since. We are computer Geeks always looking to upgrade or make our now computer system faster.
    DO Not Cry :cry: about the prices, keep on searching for the lowest and best price you can are willing to pay, to acquire WHAT YOU WANT. No one is twisting your Wallet to Pay for it.

GEEKOUT :toast:

15. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    No, the 9800GX2 is right at the GTX280 performance level, which is slightly below the GTX460 performance level. So $50 definitley isn't what it is worth, despite no DX11 support, because DX11 cards are pretty useless in "DX11" games.:laugh:

Anyway, they are expensive because they aren't being produced anymore. So people that want them will pay a premium, like someone looking to add a second for SLi/Crossfire. Or someone that had one die and wants to replace it, be it they already have an SLi/Crossfire setup and had a card die, or they just had a pre-built and thinks they need the same card to replace the broken one. And yes, there are people that think when a part breaks in a pre-built it has to be replaced by the exact same thing, I get it in my shop all the time(mainly Dell users think this for some reason).

Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  16. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    The used item market is not about "what it's worth", but more about "what's it worth to you."
    The rule of thumb when selling something is "Ask a lot, sell to whoever offers you the most."

Simple economics really. You basically can get what the market will bear.

yogurt_21 says thanks.
  17. DanTheMan

Thanks Received:
    Maybe I can get someone to buy my old computer parts for a nice price - that will be great because I will be building two new rigs soon and the current parts are ancient. One of the CPU's is a Venice 3200 single core and the other is a 4600 dual core. The oldest machine has a 2600xt GPU, and the ASUS A8N32-SLI MB - 939 socket. The upgrades will be huge to say the least. Can't wait to finally be in at least the same century.

18. r9

r9

Thanks Received:
    For used items price is usually 1/2 of the new one generally. Computer parts prices drop fast. And when people are selling they are asking 1/2 of the price they bought the item and not the current price.

ghassoul says thanks.
  19. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    Yeah OP you couldn't figure this out for yourself? It may blow your mind but it's pretty obvious why you see these prices out there--cause somehow some people pay them. Same reason spam exists etc etc.

20. Josh154

Josh154 New Member

Thanks Received:
  21. sliderider

Thanks Received:
    It's not worth $200, which is what the crazy people on ebay try to get for them. I can get a GTX460 or HD6850 for that much. Being out of warranty and with none of the desirable features found in the current generation of cards in that price range, it's not worth more than $50 and neither is a GTX280.

22. ghassoul New Member

Thanks Received:

Thank you, and i agree completely.

Some guys at craigslist sell some used pc parts and used phone for almost the same price as new.
    Exemple: New cost 120$ , used item 105$
    Give me a break will you.
    I send an email to the seller that his used item is listed as the same price as new.

They never email me back.

When i sell an used item that is still working good, i usually ask for half price and even sometimes only 35% of the original price.

Hello people, it s a freaking USED item, and when it comes to pc parts, i just give them away to friends and neighbors.

23. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    If the item is not dated, then there are cases where selling slightly below new cost is acceptable I think. For example, say someone has a slightly used GTX 470- new $229, selling used for $210 is acceptable, no? The person getting it gets the discount, plus no Tax or shipping (if local), and to that person its no different than buying it from the retailer- esp if the warranty is transferable/assisted.

By your reasoning used 470s should go for $114. That's pretty extreme.

Crunching for Team TPU
  24. ghassoul New Member

Thanks Received:

I know some good friends, they work hard to get good pc parts for themselves and their kids, but have no clue what is the difference between gtx 260 and HD6850 , dx11 and shaders, physx??

If the 9800 GTX cost 350$, that must a good damn card, that 's basically how is my friend's logics.

25. ghassoul New Member

Thanks Received:

I am sorry i do not believe on the idea of "slightly used"

There are only 2 things i believe in:

1- New item
    2- Used item

You can harm your gpu card in 24 hours time, by hacking, overclocking , changing the trim, install 6970 Bios to 6950 card ;) etc etc etc ( specially if you don't know how to do it)

So when i buy a cheap used item , in fact i buy the risk that your item might be damaged, or not.

Once you remove the sticker and you install, it is "Used" i don't care if it s 6 hours, 6 months or 6 years.

The older a gpu gets the less it is worth. A videocard is a depreciating asset. With new features and more powerful cards being produced every 6 months, your new videocard won't be new within a very short period of time.

Like what they say: New cars lose value the minute you drive off the Dealer lot.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2011
    SpeedsticK says thanks.