1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Why are Xeon processors used in servers?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Akumos, Mar 8, 2009.

1. Akumos

Akumos

Thanks Received:
    Hi all

I was looking through the specs for some servers and they all have Intel Xeon processors. I tried reading into it but I can't see where the spec beats say a core 2 quad... They have slow clock speeds and a meg of level 2 cache? How come they are more powerful?

Thanks

2. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    they arent more powerful.
    They're just tested longer at the factory, tend to use ECC/server ram, and often designed to withstand higher heat levels.

Akumos says thanks.
  3. Akumos

Akumos

Thanks Received:
    Thanks Mussels... that explains it. Nice overclock on your Q6600!

4. Tau

Tau New Member

Thanks Received:

They have Quad core Core2 based xeons.

Xeons are designed to take more heat, and longer periods of heat as well.

and there are a bunch of server based optomisations, they usually have alot of cache compared to their desktop counterparts.

5. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    In order for a chip to be branded as a Xeon, Opteron, or whatever the marketing label is, they have to pass a much more thorough quality assurance exam. The typical "server/enterprise" hardware is intended to have a million hour MTFB (Mean Time Between Failure) while your typical consumer product is intended to be around 100,000 hours MTFB.

That's the prime reason they are marketed different even though internally they are exactly (within margin of error, that is) the same.

Of course, there's other models of the Xeon/Opteron lines that don't coincide with desktop counterparts. These usually have Fully Buffered DIMMs (FB-DIMM), registered, and/or error correcting code (ECC) memory. Additionally, they have internal wiring to allow communication between processors and are, in general, designed for higher bandwidth.

MRCL says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  6. richardbel

richardbel New Member

Thanks Received:
    i think this is a good processor on hot climate countries .. hehehe

7. kyle2020 Guest

post count +1? lol.

Xeons dont have to be restricted to servers though. NewTekie invested in a xeon (cant remember the model) as its specs are identical to a more expensive quad offering. Couple that with the longer life of the chip and the wow factor of owning a xeon, your onto a winner really.

8. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    Usually Xeons cost more than their Core 2/Core i7 counterparts. Two-way and four-way are much more expensive. If you got a Xeon for less than the equivilent Core 2/Core i7, consider yourself lucky.

The one exception to this is that server products tend to stay in production longer than consumer products to replace dead processors at businesses. For example, you can probably still get an Opteron 180 for about $200 new while the 4800+ X2 costs $600+ new because it has long been out of production.

Mussels says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  9. niko084

niko084

Thanks Received:
    My Xeon quad out clocks a lot of Q6600's and with only 8x multi...

Also stepping out of the basic realm of Xeon's, they also support things like multiple physical processors and some other built in technologies that are more specific to servers and high end workstations.

If you take a look at Intl's website about the higher end Xeon's 5-7k series you will see quite a bit of other differences that you don't see in the 3k lineup.

10. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    your xeon doesnt outclock the four Q6600's in my house ;) 3.45 is the lowest i've attained here.

11. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    Xeons are just desktop chips with a higher thermal endurance and a higher stability factor than thier desktop counterparts.

Crunching for Team TPU
  12. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    But there are server based Xeons as well. My Xeon is a high contender against a C2Q.

13. ste2425

ste2425

Thanks Received:
    what about is a usual home desktop gaming situation would a xenon do a better job then its core 2 counterpart? considering from what youve all said its designed for server use and it wont be in that situation?

14. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Like most here already said, the Xeon 3xxx series are basically the same chips as the Core2's. Xeon 5xxx are socket 771 and support dual socket configurations, apart from that they're basically the same (except 50xx, they're dual core Netburst+htt). The 7xxx series are s604 and are used in quad configurations. You can also get them in 6-core variants.
    In the past you could buy Xeons with more cache, this is not the case anymore. People tend to say they're tested more and such, though I'm not sure if this is actually true.
    With Nehalem EP Xeons will have extra CSI links to communicate with eachother and offer NUMA, two things that will make an actual difference.

Long story short, it's the same architecture as desktop parts.

15. Akumos

Akumos

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the discussion guys. I enjoyed reading it.

16. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    no problem. these are the kinds of questions we like.