1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Why BD failed? AMD Ex-Employee speaks out!

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Kantastic, Oct 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    Actually they were paying companies under the table not to use AMD, and that is illegal as hell when you are basically forcing a monopoly. Intel had nothing else to do battle with for a couple periods in their history when AMD outperformed them, so they used their financial might to make sure they would stay top dog, even when that wasn't best for the consumer.
    Horrux and CDdude55 say thanks.
    10 Million points folded for TPU
  2. erixx

erixx

Thanks Received:
    David versus Goliat. Great story. Sounds always new, but isn't.
    Convert hardware into religious items, Great news. Apple fanboism was not enough.
    Adhere to a company based on emotions. Regardless of post after post in forums about doesn't work, go back to older driver, go forward to hotfix this or that. Great... failure ... at this time.

It are just fuckin' components. Quality rises and falls. Free yourself.
  3. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Anyone read this review on newegg?

"Other Thoughts: Our company makes cellular image analysis instrumentation and software that takes advantage of the multi-threading capabilities of multi-core CPUs. Since our analysis software runs hundreds of parallel image analysis algorithms that are heavily multi-threaded the CPU is generally maxed out. We’ve been looking for a low cost alternative solution for our customers to replace their current expensive dual-slot Xeon CPU workstations. In early testing with our software my current configuration of a single non-overclocked FX-8150 (ASRock 990FX Extreme 4 motherboard) running Windows 7 64-bit is outperforming our dual-quad core Xeon E5600 workstations by as much as 27%. What makes this even more impressive is that our software code is optimized to use the Intel performance primitives. The results are encouraging considering the BIOS, C++ compilers and Windows scheduler haven’t yet been optimized for the Bulldozer architecture. Once the software catches up this chip should be even more amazing"

Shows potential at-least : ]
    Super XP says thanks.
  4. Benetanegia

Benetanegia New Member

Thanks Received:
    I probably shouldn't say this, but that review seems fake and seems to have the AMD(fanboi) stamp all over it. There's not a single pro-bulldozer argument left out from the review. Intel optimized software, BIOS, Windows, compilers... I say meh. I'll believe something when a respectable site post a review showing clear advantages.

EDIT: Also beating two 6 core "Nehalems" by 27% Suuuuure. :roll:
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2011
  5. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
    This is true.
  6. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Do we even know of any review sites that do server reviews?
    :laugh:
  7. Benetanegia

Benetanegia New Member

Thanks Received:
    Anand does some from time to time. Anyway, beating 2 six core Gulftowns by 27% is simply beyond unrealistic, considering the hardware capabilities (as in the performance of 8 full cores is the max you can expect). At the very least the one thing I can say about his software is: optimized for Intel, my ass.
  8. ivicagmc

ivicagmc

Thanks Received:
  9. Damn_Smooth

Damn_Smooth New Member

Thanks Received:
  10. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Could of been e5606 which are 4 core 4 thread.
  11. v12dock

v12dock

Thanks Received:
    Dent1 and EyEwearGlasSeS say thanks.
  12. Dent1

Thanks Received:
    Well, the hydro and electric cars were at one point called "innovative" and "futuristic". Those hydro and electric cars were initially slow and were far from practical for the road.

One negative rule for AMD, another positive rule for someone else.

I'm confused, appears the AMD FX 8150 is almost just as fast as the 2500K and 2600K. Has this review been amended recently? where is the conclusion page?
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2011
  13. cheesy999

Thanks Received:
    most still are, a lot of people buy them because they're a fan of the technology used
  14. HalfAHertz

HalfAHertz

Thanks Received:
    Those aren't new just makeshift(they disabled some of the cores in an 8 core BD) 4 and 6 core BD reviews. Tho I usually don't like Guru's CPU reviews. They focus a bit too much on synthetic tests and not enough on real-life ones imo.
    Dent1 says thanks.
  15. Neuromancer

Neuromancer

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, the review even states two quad core 5600s.:confused:
  16. Benetanegia

Benetanegia New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah I missed that part. I just read E5600 and I knew that series of chips are Gulftown, so I assumed 6 core 12 thread CPU. So now I looked up in the wiki to see specific models and yeah, there's some really slow 4C/4T models in the series. The E5603 runs as low as 1.6 Ghz, so now the claim doesn't seem unfeasible, instead it looks potentially unimpressive.
  17. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:
    :laugh: Fair point.

Perhaps I'm unwilling to believe sucha big company can balls up so bad :laugh:
  18. Benetanegia

Benetanegia New Member

Thanks Received:
    Who the hell buys an expensive dual socket system to waste it using 2x 1.6 Ghz quads anyway.
  19. Neuromancer

Neuromancer

Thanks Received:
    The inital reviews of the 8 core BD showed it be above the 2500K and below the 2600K in most multithreaded tasks.

It was the poor low threaded and power consumption tests that have people complaining (although 90% of people complaining are just jumping on the bandwagon but thats true with everything look at MS Vista, it was a massive improvement over Xp but poor pirated versions performance (dud to driver diagnostic mode running) and nVidia not being able to make a reliable 8800 series driver had people trashing it from the start)
  20. v12dock

v12dock

Thanks Received:
    Like I said with the initial launch, wait another month then retest. BIOS tweaks plus processor tweaks.
  21. 3volvedcombat

3volvedcombat New Member

Thanks Received:
    There is no MARKET MANIPULATION

IF THE COMPETITION RIGHT NOW HAS THE BEST PRODUCT BY FAR.

They have the better product, they have the DICK to show, I respect that. So I will not be snobby and support Intel.

what do you want next.

BOTH companies doing paper launches and both companies ending up failing 30-50% of there expected performance numbers from those paper launches?

just saying....
  22. Horrux

Horrux

Thanks Received:
    History of microprocessors must be your weak point. Intel bribed OEMs and distributors to the tune of billions so that they would exclude AMD, Cyrix and other (now defunct) makers of x86 CPUs, over a number of years. How does that compute in your previous post?

Indeed, it is linked in my signature. And the compiler has mysteriously not been updated since Intel was court-ordered that its next version must be more equitable. Strange?
    Neuromancer says thanks.
  23. HalfAHertz

HalfAHertz

Thanks Received:
    Paper launch means releasing a product without availability. Releasing something that performs nothing like what you marketed it as is blatant lying and false advertising. AMD should lynch their marketing team out all the way through the street... :pimp:
  24. Horrux

Horrux

Thanks Received:
    VP marketing probably wanted to sell some stock before launching BD... :banghead:
  25. Super XP

Super XP

Thanks Received: