1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Why Bulldozer's spotty performance is good news.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by twilyth, Oct 15, 2011.

1. Super XP

Super XP

Thanks Received:
    A small tool that can run an application using only one CPU core. Can this be used to measure each individual Bulldozer core and to determine which one runs better than the other. If you can figure out what cores run better on there own, then you can perhaps disable the cores that are not optimal.

Just a thought.

LINK:
    http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/CPU-Tweak/Single-CPU-loader.shtml

Also check this out:

Maybe need to patch for running core priority.

Now : Core 0 --> Core 1 --> Core 2 --> Core 3 --> Core 4 --> Core 5 --> Core 6 --> Core 7
    Right Priority : Core 0 --> Core 2 --> Core 4 --> Core 6 --> Core 1 --> Core 3 --> Core 5 --> Core 7
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2011
  2. nt300

nt300

Thanks Received:
    You should pass that one to the FX overclocking thread so somebody can benchmark with it :D
  3. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
  4. Super XP

Super XP

Thanks Received:
    What do you expect from Bulldozer's performance. AMD's top dogs either fired or layed off the wrong people, they got rid of a lot of smart engineers that were responsible for the Athlon & the AMD64.

Bulldozer at launch should have been 20% better performance vs. what it is today. But it's not, and now AMD is working on damage control all thanks to the new CEO. Hopefully we will see better performance with the B3.
  5. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    No, I think I'll either have AMD exchange my current FX chip for a "fixed" one or I'll send it back to the retailer for an exchange. I didn't buy an 8 core chip to use a 4 or 6 core chip.
  6. Super XP

Super XP

Thanks Received:
    Then run it at 8-cores. Though I hear your Frustration. For now, put away the Benchmarks, give yourself a nice healthy bump in clock speed and game away until AMD fixes this. :)
  7. Super XP

Super XP

Thanks Received:
    AMD FX - B3 Revision Q1 2012

This guy now posting on Newegg. I already found some of his posts on Amazon and other related sites.
  8. Super XP

Super XP

Thanks Received:
    Here's another post by this guy.
    AMD FX-8150 Zambezi 3.6GHz 8MB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cac...
  9. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
    He just sounds like a rabid fanboy, in his older post it seems he has no ties to AMD at all either. Ya we get it, blame GF, blame Windows 7, AMD is ''innovation to the max'' and nothing is their fault. More bullshit.:mad:

The chip is shit and i'm not looking for more anecdotal testimonies, just fix it.
    BenchZowner and Damn_Smooth say thanks.
  10. Winston_008

Winston_008

Thanks Received:
    Agreed. If amd was going to do what he claims, Amd themselves should publicly tell everyone, but then that would mean no one buys the current fx series lol. They really put themselves in a position there.

Just my opinion but what i think Amd should have done is to squeeze whatever last ipc perf tweaks possible out of the pII architecture, shrink it and make it 8 cores. As a stopgap before releasing the true fx cpus which will be piledriver.
    CDdude55 says thanks.
  11. ensabrenoir

ensabrenoir

Thanks Received:
    didn't realize these threads were still alive.

?????:roll: Your not alone windows 7....... your not alone.....

Geeez bd is what it is. Want one? Buy one and just enjoy it. Nothing else matters. Spend you money as you please. BD doesn't have to be the fastest, most powerful or ... most anything. Better is yet to come? Hoooray even better! But most importantly.Be happy with it. It would be cool if everyone could share in your happiness but if they don't...so what... just enjoy. No one have to prove to the rest of the world how great or fail bd is.
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2011
    dumo says thanks.
  12. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    No offense <sarcasm> but when I want updates on how a new chip will perform the first place I look is the Newegg review fields. </sarcasm> :laugh:
    CDdude55 says thanks.