1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Why can I connect everything but this pc to my wifi network?

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by Black Panther, Nov 30, 2012.

1. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderator™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm super-baffled.

I just built a new pc for my brother, OS is Win 7 x64, rest of the specs are in the link.

I plugged in the wireless usb (which I know works for sure because it's currently on my daughter's pc)... found my wifi, entered the network key.... and got told it's incorrect. :wtf:

I checked the place where I had it written. I had been writing the correct network key. I insisted a couple of times. Still no go.

I went to my daughter's pc, entered wifi properties, found out that the network key was in fact the same one I had been typing. Yet my brother's new pc kept insisting that it was incorrect.

So I tried to connect manually. I noted down (from daughter's pc) that my security type is WPA and the encryption tupe is TKIP. I entered that same info on my brother's pc, together with the security key which appears when I 'show characters' on my daughter's pc.

Still it doesn't want to connect :banghead: now with the message that the network security settings are different to those of the host (ie mine). Which they are not! I copied them faithfully, WPA, TKIP and .. nevermind I'm so frustrated I was nearly going to type in my network key :laugh:

What gives here? Everytime family members or friends come over with their cellphones or laptops I always get them to connect on my wifi without any issue? My daughter's pc and the laptop still connect... WPA, TKIP and that same network key I had been typing all along.

This is just crazy! :banghead:
  2. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    Nice rig for your brother.

What is the model of the WiFi adapter?
  3. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    yeah, i have this weird problem on my phone. tablet connects without a hassle. but phone wont start browsing. :(
  4. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderator™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ralink

Worked out of the box on every pc I tried it on, no need to install any drivers, just plug and play.

Except this time.

Every phone can connect here, as long as I give them the network key (the same one I've typed 999 times into my brother's pc...)
  5. Hybrid_theory

Hybrid_theory New Member

Thanks Received:
    Try to get a newer version of the driver if you havent. Maybe it has some old security settings that TKIP was updated with sometime after or something. Also make sure to use just the windows software, avoid any WPS setup with the wifi NIC, as that can cause problems as well.
  6. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    Has the PC been connected to the internet via any method other than the failed wireless attempts? Maybe something in Windows needs to be updated if it's a completely fresh Windows install.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  7. remixedcat

remixedcat

Thanks Received:
    did you do the ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew commands..... also ipconfig /flushdns as well.

also make sure the wifi networks list has been updated.

you may also try "safely removing hardware" and then re-install it.
  8. timta2

Thanks Received:
    I had a similar problem using a USB dongle attached to an old WD Live TV Plus. Entered the key like 100 times and couldn't connect. Firmware update and it worked immediately. My point is that sometimes it's not the key, and not that you aren't entering it right. I know the previous posters mentioned similar things, but just thought I would throw in my 2 cents.
  9. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    lo BP even mine is a railink.
  10. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    Change the network name and try again. My laptop does that from time to time with the saved password for my phones wifi network.
  11. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    Sounds like a driver problem. Also, have you run the updates for W7 using a wired connection? They can make a massive difference to stuff like this.