• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Why Can't I play Crysis Warhead Anymore?

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
The only thing that limitted installs solves is people beating the game, then giving it to their friends to play. IMO, it doesn't really solve any real piracy problems, and shouldn't be used. However, it is a product of the current state of the industry, and the people that are saying "well I don't like the anti-piracy methods, so I'm just going to pirate it" need to realize that they are the ones responsible for those anti-piracy methods.

Last edited:

Wile E

Power User
System Name The ClusterF**k
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 BIOS F12
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Memory 3x2GB Mushkin Redlines 1600Mhz 6-8-6-24 1T
Video Card(s) Evga GTX 580
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Display(s) HP LP2475w 24" 1920x1200 IPS
Case Technofront Bench Station
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
Power Supply ENERMAX Galaxy EVO EGX1250EWT 1250W
Software Win7 Ultimate N x64, OSX 10.8.4
The only thing that limitted installs solves is people beating the game, then giving it to their friends to play. IMO, it doesn't really solve any real piracy problems, and shouldn't be used. However, it is product of the current industry, and the people that are saying "well I don't like the anti-piracy methods, so I'm just going to pirate it" need to realize that they are the ones responsible for those anti-piracy methods.

Yeah, I don't condone downloading these titles instead of buying them. I'm just not gonna play them, personally. Or, maybe, buy it and crack it, but that's a whole other legal grey area.

EviLZeD

System Name Ez - 1st custom
Processor AMD Phenom x3 8450
Motherboard Asus m3a78-em
Cooling thermaltake mini typhoon :D aerogate fan controller
Memory 6gb corsair xms 2 800mhz ddr2
Video Card(s) xpertvision HD 4850 1GB ddr3 sonic 685/1000
Storage Corsair 128gb SSD, 2x 250GB maxtor 16mb cache raid 0, 500gb 32mb cache storage
Display(s) AMD surround view 2x e172fp 17" 1x dell e248wfp 24"
Case coolermaster elite 330
Audio Device(s) creative audigy se
Power Supply hiper type r 580watt
Software Windows 7 x64
well there would be just as much problems with unlimited installs because the disc would just float around all of the persons friends....

that can still happen because these install limits are easily bypassed by noCD exe's so therefore its pretty pointless to have an install limit in the firstplace

System Name Is rly gud
Processor Intel Core i5 11600kf
Motherboard Asus Prime Z590-V ATX
Memory (48GB total) 16GB (2x8GB) Crucial Ballistix Sport 3000MHZ and G. Skill Ripjaws 32GB 3200MHZ (2x16GB)
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE RTX 3060 12GB
Storage 1TB MSI Spatium M370 NVMe M.2 SSD
Display(s) 32" Viewsonic 4k, 34" Samsung 3440x1440, XP Pen Creative Pro 13.3
Power Supply EVGA 600 80+ Gold
VR HMD Meta Quest Pro, Tundra Trackers
Software Windows 10
When I install a game, I ALWAYS copy it to an external hard drive. I've never had a problem placing it back into program files if I screwed up the install. I've even copied them onto other PCs without issue.

Wile E

Power User
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
When I install a game, I ALWAYS copy it to an external hard drive. I've never had a problem placing it back into program files if I screwed up the install. I've even copied them onto other PCs without issue.

That won't work with all games. Some install registry keys, or other needed software onto your Windows install, that won't get copied over if you just move the game folder to a new drive.

System Name Is rly gud
Memory (48GB total) 16GB (2x8GB) Crucial Ballistix Sport 3000MHZ and G. Skill Ripjaws 32GB 3200MHZ (2x16GB)
Software Windows 10
That won't work with all games. Some install registry keys, or other needed software onto your Windows install, that won't get copied over if you just move the game folder to a new drive.

It's worked with the games I tried, but all of them have a couple years under their belt.
If you know where the extra needed crap is saved, I guess it's worth a shot? :p

Don't kill me. I don't understand OS' too well. XD

System Name TheReactor / HTPC
Processor AMD 7800x3d 5050Mhz / Intel 10700kf (5.1ghz All Core)
Motherboard ASrock x670e Taichi / ROG Strix z490-e gaming
Cooling HeatKiller VI CPU/GPU Block -2xBlackIce GTX 360 Radiators - Swiftech MCP655 Pump
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz DDR5 / 32GB G.Skill 3400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) Nvidia 3090ti / Nvidia 2080ti
Storage Crucial T700 2TB Gen 5 / Samsung Evo 2Tb
Display(s) Acer Predator xb271hu - 2560x1440 @144hz
Case Corsiar 550
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply Antec Quattro 1000W
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Corsair Gaming k70
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
It does make a difference if people pirate. Its the only voice they/we have. Speak through purchasing power. Software companies will see they are losing revenue on games with high profile DRM. I know companies like to make you think 9 outa 10 people pirate, but that is complete BS. It is more in line with how many people OC their computers and install 3rd party cooling. I know it doesn't seem like that here but really Pirates are a very small minority.

They spend millions on advertising against pirates, and millions more on DRM tech. Then they get to spend millions supporting the average customer that can not install the game or have reached their max install quota.

The reason PC games are shrinking is because of them, the game publishers, wasting all that money on BS that effects 95% of the legit user base yet doesn't effect the 5% they were trying to stop.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
The number of legit users that are actually negatively affected by DRM is a lot lower than the number of pirates. DRM definitely doesn't affect 95% of the legit user base, in fact I'm sure 99% of the legit user base never even realize it is there. The pirates want to make you think it is affecting every person that buys the game legally, but that simply isn't the case, it is just an excuse pirates like to use to give them a reason to get out of buying the game.

The PC game industry isn't shrinking because of DRM, it is shrinking because companies have less and less reason to make PC games. Less and less people are buying PC games, more are pirating or moving to consoles.

DRM has little to do with the shrinking PC gaming market, if anything is is one of the reasons that the market hasn't collapsed completely.

Wile E

Power User
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
The number of legit users that are actually negatively affected by DRM is a lot lower than the number of pirates. DRM definitely doesn't affect 95% of the legit user base, in fact I'm sure 99% of the legit user base never even realize it is there. The pirates want to make you think it is affecting every person that buys the game legally, but that simply isn't the case, it is just an excuse pirates like to use to give them a reason to get out of buying the game.

The PC game industry isn't shrinking because of DRM, it is shrinking because companies have less and less reason to make PC games. Less and less people are buying PC games, more are pirating or moving to consoles.

DRM has little to do with the shrinking PC gaming market, if anything is is one of the reasons that the market hasn't collapsed completely.
I completely disagree with you there. Just look how many issues people are having with securom. DRM is not invisible by any means, and it does nothing to stop piracy, therefore it is not keeping the industry afloat. If anything it is hurting it further, due to the development costs and licensing fees, all of which are passed on to us consumers. ANd even if only a small percentage of people are having issues with the current Securom, what about a year or two from now, when a hell of a lot more people are likely to have hit their install limits?

If you think DRM is actually a benefit, and that it is actually necessary, all I have to do is to point out games like Oblivion. It isn't encumbered by some ridiculous DRM scheme, yet it was wildly successful.

DRM schemes like the current Securom are hurting PC gaming, and the more invasive and limiting it gets, the more the industry will suffer. There's no two ways about it. People don't want to spend $50 on a game that has the potential of becoming nothing more than a long term rental if the developer doesn't keep their word.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
There will always be issue, however to 99% of the people that buy the game legit, it is invisible, and they will never have issues.

As for hitting the limit years down the road, many do not even install the game more than once, beat it, then put it on a shelf. Even still, I believe Securom has stated that the install limit is reset after a certain time, I believe it was a year. So it isn't a limit to 5 for the rest of time, but a limit to 5 installs in a year, which is more than reasonable IMO.

Personally, I don't believe the install limit actually does any good. However, other DRM schemes do. And while Oblivion was DRM free, and wildly successful, it was also one of the most pirated games released. I know of my ~20 friends that played it, only 2 copies was actually bought, mine which I used for myself, and a friends who got distributed to the others.

Unfortunately, it is in human nature to steal digital content. If it was as easy to pirate a game as it is to copy a music CD for someone, the PC gaming industry wouldn't exist as it does today. We wouldn't see several good titles released a year, we would see maybe one. Software developers would all go to consoles as there would be little money in PC gaming.

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
I completely disagree with you there. Just look how many issues people are having with securom. DRM is not invisible by any means, and it does nothing to stop piracy, therefore it is not keeping the industry afloat. If anything it is hurting it further, due to the development costs and licensing fees, all of which are passed on to us consumers. ANd even if only a small percentage of people are having issues with the current Securom, what about a year or two from now, when a hell of a lot more people are likely to have hit their install limits?

If you think DRM is actually a benefit, and that it is actually necessary, all I have to do is to point out games like Oblivion. It isn't encumbered by some ridiculous DRM scheme, yet it was wildly successful.

DRM schemes like the current Securom are hurting PC gaming, and the more invasive and limiting it gets, the more the industry will suffer. There's no two ways about it. People don't want to spend $50 on a game that has the potential of becoming nothing more than a long term rental if the developer doesn't keep their word.

i completely agree like halo and crysis for the PC i had such a F#$# hard ime installing them because of DRM Crysis would tell me its not a legit copy and alo2 actually forced me to install and play it with the secondary login enabled which i purposely disabled along with other services to ain performance and secondary login wasnt just it i had to enable all its damn deendencies i returned my first copy because i thought it was a bad disk until i found others with the same prob when it did it with the second i looked for hours for the answer with the second disk i was about 30min away from returning the game all together and just keeping the money because game stop was closing down and it took m 15min to get their. then i found out you had to enable those so i did and it worked totally rediculous if you ask me now in order to even play it i need to keep services i dont want on enabled for the game to even F#@$ start.

Wile E

Power User
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
There will always be issue, however to 99% of the people that buy the game legit, it is invisible, and they will never have issues.

As for hitting the limit years down the road, many do not even install the game more than once, beat it, then put it on a shelf. Even still, I believe Securom has stated that the install limit is reset after a certain time, I believe it was a year. So it isn't a limit to 5 for the rest of time, but a limit to 5 installs in a year, which is more than reasonable IMO.

Personally, I don't believe the install limit actually does any good. However, other DRM schemes do. And while Oblivion was DRM free, and wildly successful, it was also one of the most pirated games released. I know of my ~20 friends that played it, only 2 copies was actually bought, mine which I used for myself, and a friends who got distributed to the others.

Unfortunately, it is in human nature to steal digital content. If it was as easy to pirate a game as it is to copy a music CD for someone, the PC gaming industry wouldn't exist as it does today. We wouldn't see several good titles released a year, we would see maybe one. Software developers would all go to consoles as there would be little money in PC gaming.

I'm not against all DRM. I don't mind needing the disc in the drive (or perhaps they can give us a usb dongle?). That makes it more like a DVD to normal people. If you want to take one of your DVDs to a friends house, and watch it on their player, you can. Console games are the same way, you can play it on any system, as long as you have the disc. PC games should be the same way.

Is this type of DRM easily defeated? Yes, it is. But as you already pointed out, normal people don't bother with that. Besides, securom is just as easily defeatable by the same simple download. So, in effect, the only people that it CAN affect, are legitimate owners. It does not, and will not ever affect pirates, and will only ever potentially serve to piss off the people that legitimately bought the game. The pirates are already 100% unaffected. So what purpose does this serve again?

In short, this is pointless, and a slap in the face to legitimate owners, as they are treated like criminals.

System Name Back to Blue
Processor i9 14900k
Motherboard Asrock Z790 Nova
Cooling Corsair H150i Elite
Memory 64GB Corsair Dominator DDR5-6400 @ 6600
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3090 Ultra FTW3
Storage 4TB WD 850x NVME, 4TB WD Black, 10TB Seagate Barracuda Pro
Display(s) 1x Samsung Odyssey G7 Neo and 1x Dell u2518d
Case Lian Li o11 DXL w/custom vented front panel
Audio Device(s) Focusrite Saffire PRO 14 -> DBX DriveRack PA+ -> Mackie MR8 and MR10 / Senn PX38X -> SB AE-5 Plus
Power Supply Corsair RM1000i
Mouse Logitech G502x
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum
Software Windows 11 x64 Pro
Benchmark Scores 31k multicore Cinebench - CPU limited 125w
I got the game new and have only installed it twice. It is so annoying for people that actually buy games and get treated like a pirate by the developer. I hate EA :banghead:

Exactly why I refuse to buy any game released by EA. I feel their pain, but it's not going to become mine..

As said, call / email their support, they generally are good at taking care of issues like that.

As for the security features, I agree with Wile E very much..

What happens if you ban guns, then only criminals have them *sounds like a good idea*.

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
I'm not against all DRM. I don't mind needing the disc in the drive (or perhaps they can give us a usb dongle?). That makes it more like a DVD to normal people. If you want to take one of your DVDs to a friends house, and watch it on their player, you can. Console games are the same way, you can play it on any system, as long as you have the disc. PC games should be the same way.

Is this type of DRM easily defeated? Yes, it is. But as you already pointed out, normal people don't bother with that. Besides, securom is just as easily defeatable by the same simple download. So, in effect, the only people that it CAN affect, are legitimate owners. It does not, and will not ever affect pirates, and will only ever potentially serve to piss off the people that legitimately bought the game. The pirates are already 100% unaffected. So what purpose does this serve again?

In short, this is pointless, and a slap in the face to legitimate owners, as they are treated like criminals.

hell im a legit user buy all my games because i like having a disk and a legit key in case i want to play some of the guys on TPU but im totally guilty of getting no-cd EXE's because i hate how loud my dvd drives get and ill also be the first to admit i copy and back up iso's of all my games on my 1TB drive to keep the disks in new condition thn i get programs like deamon tools to get the laser lock secure rom stuff i mount and install

System Name Back to Blue
Processor i9 14900k
Audio Device(s) Focusrite Saffire PRO 14 -> DBX DriveRack PA+ -> Mackie MR8 and MR10 / Senn PX38X -> SB AE-5 Plus
Mouse Logitech G502x
hell im a legit user buy all my games because i like having a disk and a legit key in case i want to play some of the guys on TPU but im totally guilty of getting no-cd EXE's because i hate how loud my dvd drives get and ill also be the first to admit i copy and back up iso's of all my games on my 1TB drive to keep the disks in new condition thn i get programs like deamon tools to get the laser lock secure rom stuff i mount and install

I'm the same way, same with all my music and movies also. I don't want my drives spinning up and down all the time, I don't want to be shuffling through cd cases... Waste of my time. :ohwell:

Wile E

Power User
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz

I'm the same way, same with all my music and movies also. I don't want my drives spinning up and down all the time, I don't want to be shuffling through cd cases... Waste of my time. :ohwell:
That's why I suggested a usb dongle. I think it's the perfect compromise. I wouldn't even bother with no-cd's if they gave us those.

System Name Back to Blue
Processor i9 14900k
Mouse Logitech G502x
That's why I suggested a usb dongle. I think it's the perfect compromise. I wouldn't even bother with no-cd's if they gave us those.

Ya, that wouldn't be so bad.

System Name VAN
Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 3.0GHz LGA 775 95W @ 3.0GHz
Motherboard ASUS P5Q Deluxe LGA 775 Intel P45 Intel Motherboard
Cooling Thermaltake SpinQ VT, front-rear-side 120mm, top-bottom 80mm
Memory Crucial Ballistix Tracer 8GB(4x2GB), DDR2, 800 MHz, 4-4-4-12, 2.0V, w/ Red LEDs
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon HD 6770 1GB
Storage Samsung 850 PRO 256SSD (OS) - WD 640GB 7200 RPM (files) - Seagate 1TB 7200 (backup)
Display(s) DUAL 19" Samsung, LG LCDs
Case NZXT Lexa Blackline
Audio Device(s) Realtek Onboard
Power Supply OCZ 600 Stealth-X-Stream 600W RT
Mouse Cyborg R.A.T. 9
Keyboard Razer Black Widow Ultimate
Software Windows 7 Ultimate

yeah I take ISO's of all my games as well and do the same thing you do but I like having the disk/case, I get the special edition whenever possible because it is a collection to me as well as a great piece of media

System Name Is rly gud
Software Windows 10

I'd end up losing it. :p

Good idea, either way.

System Name VAN
Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 3.0GHz LGA 775 95W @ 3.0GHz
Motherboard ASUS P5Q Deluxe LGA 775 Intel P45 Intel Motherboard
Cooling Thermaltake SpinQ VT, front-rear-side 120mm, top-bottom 80mm
Memory Crucial Ballistix Tracer 8GB(4x2GB), DDR2, 800 MHz, 4-4-4-12, 2.0V, w/ Red LEDs
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon HD 6770 1GB
Storage Samsung 850 PRO 256SSD (OS) - WD 640GB 7200 RPM (files) - Seagate 1TB 7200 (backup)
Display(s) DUAL 19" Samsung, LG LCDs
Case NZXT Lexa Blackline
Audio Device(s) Realtek Onboard
Power Supply OCZ 600 Stealth-X-Stream 600W RT
Mouse Cyborg R.A.T. 9
Keyboard Razer Black Widow Ultimate
Software Windows 7 Ultimate
what movie was that originally from anyways?

System Name MurderBox #17
Processor Intel Core i7 5930k - 4.5Ghz 1.275v - Bitspower Summit EF
Motherboard Asus X99-E WS - Bitspower THOR AIX99 Full Full Board Block
Cooling SR-1 480, 8x Corsair ML120 , MCP350, I&H Res 250, PETG hard pipe, Mayhems Pastel White
Memory 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws 4 DDR4 2666
Video Card(s) Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti Founders Edition - EK Fullcover waterblock with Backplate
Storage 970 Pro 512GB, 960 EVO 500GB, PM961 512GB, 3x SM951 256GB,, WD Black 2TB, Seagate 4TB
Display(s) ASUS PG348Q 3440x1440, 2X ASUS PB278 2560x1440
Case MurderMod TJ07 With Illuminated mid-plate
Audio Device(s) Schiit Bifrost > Schiit Asgard > Hifiman HE400i - Audio Technica AT2020
Power Supply Corsair AX1200i With custom MDPC Sleeve and Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM
Mouse Steelseries Rival 600
Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB
Software Microsoft Windows 10 Professional 64bit
Its from Downfall. A very well done movie about Hitler and the last days of the Third Reich

Who knew my OP would have spawned an actual intelligent discussion about DRM and Piracy.

System Name Is rly gud
Software Windows 10
System Name MurderBox #17
Processor Intel Core i7 5930k - 4.5Ghz 1.275v - Bitspower Summit EF
Motherboard Asus X99-E WS - Bitspower THOR AIX99 Full Full Board Block
Cooling SR-1 480, 8x Corsair ML120 , MCP350, I&H Res 250, PETG hard pipe, Mayhems Pastel White
Memory 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws 4 DDR4 2666
Video Card(s) Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti Founders Edition - EK Fullcover waterblock with Backplate
Storage 970 Pro 512GB, 960 EVO 500GB, PM961 512GB, 3x SM951 256GB,, WD Black 2TB, Seagate 4TB
Display(s) ASUS PG348Q 3440x1440, 2X ASUS PB278 2560x1440
Case MurderMod TJ07 With Illuminated mid-plate
Audio Device(s) Schiit Bifrost > Schiit Asgard > Hifiman HE400i - Audio Technica AT2020
Power Supply Corsair AX1200i With custom MDPC Sleeve and Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM
Mouse Steelseries Rival 600
Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB
Software Microsoft Windows 10 Professional 64bit
I guess that's my fault for posting that funny video but I felt it was relevant. :laugh:

System Name UltraPC
Processor E8500 Core 2 Duo, 1333Mhz FSB, 3.16Ghz @ 4.5GHz (got into Windows @ 4.75GHz)
Motherboard ASUS P5Q-e
Cooling CPU Cooler - TT V14 Pro, 2x120mm CM Blue LED fans, 1x90mm CM Blue LED fan
Memory G.Skill Pi 4GB (2x2GB) Dual Channel DDR2 PC8000 (1000MHz), 5-5-5-15
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD4850 512mb with ASUS EAH4850 BIOS
Storage 2x 500GB Seagate 7200.12 Raid 0
Display(s) Acer AL1912, 19" LCD screen
Case Thermaltake Soprano Black ATX case
Audio Device(s) Onboard 7.1, Speakers - 5 + Sub + Monitor speakers
Power Supply Thermaltake 850W Toughpower Cable Management - Quad (2x18A and 2x30A) 12V rails
Software Win 7 Pro x64, MSN, CS:Source, etc etc

Couldn't have put it better myself.