1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Why can't my computer handle this?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Chase, Jul 27, 2011.

1. Chase New Member

Thanks Received:
    Power Supply: CORSAIR Builder Series CX430 V2 430W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power

Video card:
    SAPPHIRE 100315L Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity

Processor: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Rana 3.2GHz Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Desktop Processor ADX450WFGMBOX

Motherboard: BIOSTAR A880G+ AM3 AMD 880G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

4 gb of RAM.

So this computer (along with a few other things ex. monitor, case, dvd burner etc.) cost me about 600 dollars. I've really had no problem running games but I get to Assassins Creed Brotherhood and my computer starts lagging?

Also if you need any more info about my PC just ask.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2011
  2. Chase New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well I really dont know shit about computers so go figure. Can you explain why consoles have better performance?

3. Radical_Edward

Radical_Edward

Thanks Received:
    They don't. They are simply computers built with one task in mind, vs a computer that is running said task and dozens of others at once.

Crunching for Team TPU
  4. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    They don't. Your computer is more powerful than a console and that's the end of that discussion. There is some sort of confilct going on with your system. You do say that all of your other games run fine. So what do you mean by lag? Does it happen all the time? What settings are you using in game? Are your video and sound drivers up to date? Is DirectX up to date? Are you running any other programs in the background when playing the game? Your computer should run the game fine, so there is a problem with how your computer is set up.

Chase says thanks.
  5. Chase New Member

Thanks Received:
    1. Im on almost full on most settings. Also by lag I mean that the framerate has noticable dips if im doing anything that involves multiple people or action.
    2. Really sorry about my ignorance but how can I make sure of that?
    3. I'm pretty sure but I dont know how to check. DirectX11 is the newest right?
    4. No programs running in the background other than the browser thats on facebook.

6. rizshinigami New Member

Thanks Received:
    you should check the graphic setting,turn off v-sync and if you want turn off Anti-aliasing too or turn down to 2x.Those two maybe the cause for the lag.

Chase says thanks.
  7. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    You have to realize that the Xbox renders everything at 1280x720 at the most, and it renders some games at an even lower resolution to keep framerates acceptable(FF XIII is rendered at 1024x576!). The Xbox also doesn't use nearly as high of graphics settings as the PC is capable of.

Lower the resolution in AC: Brotherhood to 1280x720 and set it to the medium settings or lower and you will easily get lag free play and a better looking game than the Xbox version.

Chase says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  8. erocker

Thanks Received:
    You can check what drivers you're using by going into catalyst control center and checking the version. Get new video drivers here: www.amd.com

Update DirectX here: http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=35

Also make sure Windows is up to date by visiting Windows Update.

*It's alright that you're new to the PC thing. Just watch your "console comments" as it tends to make some people angry for some reason.

Chase says thanks.
  9. Chase New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks a ton man! I really appreciate the help. Sorry for any trouble I may have caused!

10. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    This.

Also, make sure your video card drivers are up to date - i've had serious performance issues with ass creed games on old drivers in the past.

Chase says thanks.
  11. xenocide

xenocide

Thanks Received:
    Xbox360 games run like regular PC games with the following conditions;

* 1280x720 or lower resolution.
    * High Settings
    * No AA\AS
    * Usually locked at 30fps.

Now your computer isn't super powerful, but it should be able to play most cross-platform games meeting those requirements. The only weak link I really see that prevents you from blowing those settings away, is that CPU.

12. Radical_Edward

Radical_Edward

Thanks Received:
    I had a Athlon X2 before and played AC:2 no problems, his X3 shouldn't be a issue.

Crunching for Team TPU
  13. Hayder_Master

Hayder_Master

Thanks Received:
    Please don't compare gaming graphics between consols and computer, over all people say here still one more most important thing, the xbox360 and ps3 can only run games in DX9 mate, your card pass it up with three generations DX10,DX10.1 and now DX11.

You can run any game smooth on 1280 resolution and low setting with DX9, with it will be like consol.

By the way you can count your PC as 600$, you can count monitor and other stuff as pc cost, only case items can count as cost, can you count your home TV with xbox cost.

14. erocker

Thanks Received:
    I think we all realize now what a console is. The point of this thread isn't PC vs. Console so let's end that discussion now.

Hope the tips help out Chase, let us know. :toast:

15. Chase New Member

Thanks Received:
    Without monitor it was 500. I got 90 dollar monitor but it was on sale from 150 so its not a POS.

16. Hayder_Master

Hayder_Master

Thanks Received:
    I see only you need is a better cpu.
    My advice is got better cpu have high clock and quad core, spare some money and pick up some good deal used cpu like phenom II 955, and you will play smoothly‏.‏

17. erocker

Thanks Received:
    Nah, he should be able to run the game fine with his system. It just needs updating or something else. It's not a hardware issue.

18. Chase New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well I updated my drivers, updated to DirectX11, updated everything in windows and there is a slight improvement. I tried turning of V-Sync and that didn't do much either. I guess I should just lower some of the settings.

At second glance im actually not sure if I updated my drivers correctly? I went to the website and filled out what video card I had and downloaded all the things. Anything else I should have done?

19. Hayder_Master

Hayder_Master

Thanks Received:
    Ok you say laging, so what about temps, did you check cpu and gpu temps.

Other thing did scan your computer from virouses-spams.

20. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    did you install the catalyst package (drivers + CCC) for catalyst 11.6? thats the latest for a 6850

iamthewizard2: when i ran crossfired 4870's (which is different to his situation, admittedly) updating my drivers took me from a max of 15 FPS to a minimum of 45. they can make quite a difference. you honestly seem like a troll.

21. Widjaja

Widjaja

Thanks Received:
    Just a stab in the dark, have you installed Duke Nukem by any chance?

It auto installs a dual core optimizer on any machine regardless of the processor.

22. Chase New Member

Thanks Received:
    Just ran a quick scan, no viruses. Im running a full scan just to make sure.

My GPU temp is 51 degrees celsius.

Nope I didn't install Duke Nukem. And if my PC really can handle this game its not like its gonna hurt my feelings? What the hell? I would rather someone told me that in the beginning if its true.

23. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    i assume you mean CANT, but the truth is it can. you might not be able to run it on maximum settings, but hell, most of us here cant. that guy is just trolling.

24. Widjaja

Widjaja

Thanks Received:
    Very strange ACB lags on your system.
    You should be able to run it no hassles.
    Especially if my system can run it fine although I do get lag if I have filtering on high.

I'm out of ideas.

BTW do not feed the troll.

25. Chase New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well okay then. I guess I just have to lower some settings. That for all the help guys, I really appreciate it.