1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Why do people upgrade so frequently? When even lowend CPUs are fast enough for most?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by MaxAwesome, Apr 14, 2009.

1. MaxAwesome

MaxAwesome

Thanks Received:
    HEADS UP: THIS TOPIC IS ABOUT CPUS ONLY.
    Why do most people get the upgrade itch so often?

Nowadays there is such an immense variety of CPU power, that even for people who render video/graphics an ultra-fast CPU is more of a luxury than a necessity.

I think this happens because people don't realise they DON'T have to upgrade. Most people are driven by the "OMG IT'S NEW AND SHINY!" argument. Some people just gotta have the latest and greatest.

Those people don't realize that in the long run, they are throwming money away.

For example, I spent money on a whole new system back in October 2008. I went with an E8400. I'm really, REALLY happy with it. Do you even think i'm considering upgrading in the next 2 years? Of course not! I want this CPU to exhaust its horsepower, I want to get to a point where I can say "ok, this CPU has served me well".

Core i7, or Core i5 simply isn't on my upgrade path. My E8400 will gladly carry me along until the next big thing comes (sandy brigde, most likely). This way, I will allow my current CPU to make up for the money I spent on it, I just think of it as an investment, and I want to milk it till its dry.

I'm a gamer, and I consider myself a gamer even if I don't have the latest and greatest. And I honestly don't believe that my current E8400 will leave me dry in the next 2 years. Especially when overclocked.

This may be just a matter of mentality, but it doesn't make any sense to me spending hundreds of dollars (euros in my case) on a computer, only to be upgrading in the next few months to a new CPU that may be newer, but isn't all that fast over the one you had.

Just let your hardware live its lifecycle.

Nowadays it seems people don't even keep their hardware long enough to enjoy it.

It boggles me why people with high-end Duos and Quads want desperatly to move to i7 for example. Don't they realise that their current CPUs is more than enough anything? This complements what I said earlier: a faster CPU is most often a luxury rather than a necessity. Unless you're a speed freak, I guess.

Opinions?

2. kiriakost

kiriakost New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have realize what you did , some years back , i replaced about 10 systems in the last 12 years .

I believe that we ... the explorers of technology , we get blinded from our passion ,
    and we have difficulty to see the clear picture .

I believe that i am not a good example .... i had to waste 10.000 $ so to learn how wrong i was .

My wish are , some people to learn, by spending less than i did .

department76 says thanks.
  3. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    Short answer: The software changes (making older systems seem slow) and due to Moore's Law, the prices don't. Most people buy computers in the $400-1000 range. Even though that amount of money doesn't change, the performance does.

Very few people upgrade their CPU--most replace their entire system.

Crunching for Team TPU
  4. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    It's a hobby, I love cars also, and really its the same thing. To be the fastest man alive!

5. technicks

technicks

Thanks Received:
    Because we are hardware junkies.:rockout:

6. DanTheBanjoman Señor Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Go to some animal hugging site and ask people why they have so many pets. Go to a stamp collectors site and ask people why they have so many stamps.

yogurt_21, RevengE, p_o_s_pc and 12 others say thanks.
  7. technicks

technicks

Thanks Received:
    ^ Lol

8. ShadowFold

ShadowFold New Member

Thanks Received:
    I LOVE playing and unboxing new hardware. I've had so many different video cards and CPU's that I've lost track honestly.

9. sttubs

sttubs

Thanks Received:
    It's an addiction, love seeing the UPS man with my Newegg box.

Kei, p_o_s_pc and Mandown say thanks.
  10. Jizzler

Jizzler

Thanks Received:
    I'll stop when my computer is as fast as I feel it should be. "Star Trek" comes to mind :D

+1 to FordGTConcept's post, for the vast majority of people.

11. MaxAwesome

MaxAwesome

Thanks Received:
    Ok, I think everyone has their reasons. But i'm actually talking about maxing out the lifecycle of your hardware. I consider myself an enthusiast and I don't have to keep wasting money on newer parts every month.

I guess i'm one of the few who upgrades out of necessity rather than out of addiction. But hey, it's your money! :p

12. technicks

technicks

Thanks Received:
    Also do you know what benchmarking is:rolleyes:
    I think that the majority of people here buy new hardware just to get a higher score in any sort of benchmark. Making them think they are better then before and satisfies their need for speed.

For me it's the fact that i love hardware. And thus like the fact of upgrading and getting newer tech stuff.
    You can say your 8400 will serve YOU for a few more years but i can assure you my Q9550 won't last a year in my mobo.

Also depends on the fact that if i buy a €300 cpu and i get fed up with it in a few months that cpu has some value to it. And it won't if i leave it in my mobo for 2/3 years. So it's also investing in getting better stuff.

For example. I got a Q9450 last month. The 8x multi was driving me nuts so i sold it and only had to pay €15 extra to get a Q9550. So is weird or just smart?

13. Darknova

Darknova

Thanks Received:
    Thing is mate, people have their own opinions on everything. I upgrade when there is something new to play with (and I have money to do it) because it's my hobby, and it's what I love doing. It's why I enjoy building PCs for other people (New Hardware!).

If you're happy with your PC the way it is, and you think you spent your money wisely, then you should be very happy. A number of times I've made a stupid mistake with my purchases, but I wouldn't change them. It's all experience.

14. ste2425

ste2425

Thanks Received:
    its an hobbie/obsession, like somesaid i love the feel of seeing my new cpu or gpu or just a bloody fan being delivered up my drive un packing it installing it an using it, if i had nothing else to pay i would but all my pounds into a comp

15. Play3r New Member

Thanks Received:
    mmmm its just fun opening up something new plugging it in and telling ur mates how much better ur pc is than theres

16. ste2425

ste2425

Thanks Received:
    hahah yea i love rubbin it in too

17. Play3r New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yer hmm best thing to do is wait till like a month or 2 after they upgrade and then just get all this stuff that is better than theres for cheaper :D

18. Altered

Altered

Thanks Received:
    There is also the gaming factor, competitive like benching. Having any advantage is just that much better. Personally I am more like your thoughts MaxAwesome. I didn't upgrade till the old P4 couldn't push the video card that I upgraded to. I actually lost FPS when I upgraded VGA the time before last. But I really don't change unless it is a simi valid reason. But yes opening that new box is like knowing your going to get that 2nd piece of ass.

19. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    I forget some people here... For example me! I'm about to buy my 1st real rig... and I was [] <--- this close to buying an i7 rig.../. why? because it costs "only" 200~300$ more than a PIIx3 720 or a mid/high dual core... It is very tempting when you see the E8600 at 270$ and you could get an i7 for 230$ at Microcenter! on top of that you get the "futureproofing" idea... I think that is the biggest thing that makes people want to buy i7s.... FUTUREPROOFING... This would be only true if 3+threaded games would come out in the near future... so its a gamble!

20. suraswami

suraswami

Thanks Received:
    Its because its a hobby and hardware costs are ridiculously cheap (but ofcourse if you keep spending several $10s then u can feel the pinch).

21. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    It's not cheap. You can buy food for a month for the kind of money a good CPU cost. Heck, most quad cores cost as much as my monthly rent! It's chaper than it used to be, but it's not cheap.

I for one love and adore hardware, but there are other things I love more. Like traveling. I rather go visit friends around the world than upgrading my computer. As long as I can play Heroes of might and Magic 3 and listen to music I'm happy. :)

EDIT: And there's not really a reason for a "normal" user to upgrade that often. If your avarage Joe buys a computer for like $500 he has a lot more than he needs.

22. kyle2020 Guest

A. I love unboxing, installing and tweaking new hardware.

B. I upgraded from my 5000+BE to my Q6600 because it wasnt pulling its weight anymore - crysis made me realise that.

C. Cost. I upgraded from my GT to this GTX due to the part (at the time) being so cheap + overclockable.

I only upgrade when I need to, or if a better part is available at a decent price - this Quad will see me through till I go i7 / i5, and that will most likely be either mid this year or next year.

23. You know people who buy sh*tty cars and pimp/tune them to monsters? Well most people do the same with their systems.

Also most people here tend to overclock, modify and then benchmark the system, and that is rather ok as I see it: Better they stay at home doing something usefull than being outdoors breaking stuff and robbing people.

But people who get a 4K system just to play games with - is something I will never understand.

24. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    i've been on an e6600 since i upgraded to c2d. dont see myself changing cpus until 2010 at least. i need some mfgr to send me a nice ssd for my work pc though ^^

25. alexp999

alexp999 Staff

Thanks Received:
    Wow, I dont think I have even looked at your system specs before :laugh:

E6600 is a great CPU, I only have about two or three games that use my quad.

I'm sticking with this Q6600 until I go i5.