1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Why do some Games cause Video cards to run warmer then other Games?

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by 20mmrain, Jul 4, 2010.

1. 20mmrain

20mmrain

Thanks Received:
    Why do some Games cause Video cards to run warmer then other Games? I always thought the more taxing the game the more warm your card ran.

Or if it was warm outside it could also make your card run warmer.

But I was playing Sniper Ghost Hunter today and I noticed my Temps were about 60c on my top card and about 50c on my bottom card.

Sniper Ghost Hunter by all means is not a taxing game. But I was getting the same temps I usually do playing a game like Crysis/AVP/ or Metro 2033.

But if I turn around and play a game like Fear 2 or something like that my video cards run cooler?

Are there any other contributing factors to why GPU's run warmer in cretin games? Not really worried about it just wondering if there was another factor I was missing?

2. guitarfreaknation

guitarfreaknation

Thanks Received:
    Do all games take advantage of your crossfire setup? Maybe this contributes to your dilemma.

3. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    your top card is doing more work.

4. 20mmrain

20mmrain

Thanks Received:
    I do know why one card on top usually gets hotter then the other.

But there are games out there in the world that stress your video cards allot. It's usually games that are very graphically intensive?

But this game I am playing is not graphically intensive.

Yet it is making my cards warmer then usual?

Not dangerous warm...... but more or less I was wondering why cretin video games that are not that stressful.

Seem to stress out your video cards more then games you think would?

Like for example Bad Company 2 was making some people's video cards run really warm. It was only that game..... it seems that they have fixed that problem.... but I believe there were even a few posts about it here.

It's the same thing in my situation..... this game and only this game (Sniper Ghost Hunter) Seems to be making my Video cards run a little bit hotter then normal.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2010
  5. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Some games take more power than others. If you want some morenumbers just say and hopefully i have the game. And not always depends on how good the game looks either.

For example:

System Idle: 190w
    Please remember these numbers are from total system usage and may change depend on area in that game.

Sniper Ghost Warrior
    Main Menu: 270w
    Loading: 270w
    In game336w

Borderlands
    Main Menu: 295w
    Loading: 230w-275w
    In game: 316w

Just Cause 2
    Main Menu: 305w ( settles to 285w )
    Loading: Same as main menu
    In game: 322w
    With map on: 242w

I have known some games with the same setup take the power usage as high as 380w. And with ya being on about CF i guess it depends on how well the games configured.

6. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    All i can say is don't worry about temps, if your games are not lagging or crashing who cares.

MikeTyson says thanks.
  7. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
    There's a lot of factors to it, from the way the card was designed to the temps in your room and of course how the game itself was designed.

Some games just utilize more GPU power, hence giving you higher temps, Even if it's not graphically intensive. It depends on what the devs themselves what to utilize more in a computer system, some games use more CPU power(like most valve games) and some use more GPU power, or more RAM then another game. That's just how they created it and that's why you'll at times see higher temps in certain games, because the load is hammering down on certain pieces of hardware.

But as i said, it could also be due to the video card itself and the overall temps around you. But you should be fine, those temps you posted are not bad at all, and as long as it's not hitting 100c in games, i don't see an issue.;)

8. Robert-The-Rambler

Robert-The-Rambler

Thanks Received:
    Some games don't support Vsync

Your system runs wild pushing even hundreds of frames and power gets wasted in the form of heat. Ideally you should be able to lock all games at the refresh rate/ frame rate of your monitor and you will save power and heat but with some games it just doesn't work especially with ATI video cards. I have not run into the Vsync issue with my latest Nvidia GeForce 250 GTS rig. Although I haven't tested that many games with the Nvidia card but forcing Vsync works in Metro 2033 where it doesn't work with ATI.

9. 20mmrain

20mmrain

Thanks Received:
    Thanks guys for the response. All of those reasons you listed seem to be good answers.

I wasn't really worried about it because I overclock and benchmark these cards too. These temps are nothing compared to when I am benchmarking.

The only reason for bringing it up was because I noticed the difference. And I wondered to myself .... Hmmmm???? What could be causing that.

But what you guys gave me for answers make sense so thanks.

10. douglatins

douglatins

Thanks Received:
    :slap: