1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Why does Crysis Warhead run smoother than Crysis?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Monkey_Business, Mar 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Why do I get an average of 7-10 more fps playing Crysis Warhead than I do playing Crysis on exactly identical settings?

Warhead also looks a tad bit better than Crysis.

I'd like to see how the 64-bit version of Crysis Warhead runs, but the only way I can run it in that mode is if I had a quicklaunch icon on my desktop. Then you right-click that icon, go into properties, and set it to run in 64-bit mode. When I installed Crysis and Crysis Warhead, as well as some other DX10 games, there was absolutely no option of placing a quicklaunch icon on your desktop during the installation process.

I used the search tool in the windows vista home premium 64-bit start bar, looking for a quicklaunch icon, to no avail.

I cannot find a quicklaunch icon for any of these games which are installed onto my computer, anywhere on my computer.

It's a damn shame....

2. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    Warhead is a bit more optomized.

Crunching for Team TPU
  3. Nick259

Nick259

Thanks Received:
    And a bit more linear.

4. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    because they made the levels work around the engine a bit better.

They also spent the time they should have on the first game tweaking the settings a bit.

5. LifeOnMars

LifeOnMars New Member

Thanks Received:
    Crysis runs better for me than warhead:ohwell:

6. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
    Warhead is using a more aggressive LOD. You can see that on objects and textures that are scaled more aggressively based on distance which is sometimes annoying.

7. js01 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Crysis runs better for me aswell, of course can't do an exact bench comparison but the first level of Crysis is smoother then the first level of Warhead.

8. Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Bjorn_Of_Iceland

Thanks Received:
    If you noticed, Warhead's maps are not really that open. narrower maps (but elongated), lessening collision detection etc. But there are still traces of Crysis-like maps, like the hover craft chase map. Framedrops in there..

9. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
    Because they saw how many people where complaining about the original being a pain in the ass to run. So they tweaked the engine to run better with Warhead.

10. assaulter_99

assaulter_99

Thanks Received:
    It did run better for me too. About the textures, I hated seeing stuff popping in the distance though, seemed really weird! But I gladly accepted the perf boost!

11. At least I can play Crysis Warhead from beginning to end without a single game crash. Crysis, on the other hand, crashes every single time during "the reckoning" level.

12. BababooeyHTJ New Member

Thanks Received:
    What was that about that 1.3 patch for Crysis? Seriously, this is the game that is supposed to showcase their engine why not do the best possible job supporting it? It looks great but there are some bugs and I hear that the sdk is a mess.

13. What the hell is wrong with "the reckoning" level in Crysis? Why does it the game crash so much there? Couldn't they have fixed that via patches?

I played through Crysis from beginning to end, for about 3 1/2 hours, just to find out that the game crashes at the exact same point (in a stairwell) right after the island gets nuked and the blue tentacle aliens attack the aircraft carrier. It is impossible to finish the game because of that error. I am very displeased.

14. Lionheart

Lionheart

Thanks Received:
    Crysis runs more better for me too:laugh: I don't even like warhead at all:banghead:

15. u2konline

u2konline

Thanks Received:
    I have to disagree with you on that one, i think crysis looks much better than warhead, not sure what it is, but warhead looks whats the word grainy sometimes. I haven't use that word since the sega genesis days :laugh:
    On another note, i think crysis and warhead doesn't look too good in the visual department when not using modded cfg files. Which is why i never play neither game without using a visual cfg file.

As for crysis running better than warhead or warhead running better than crysis? Yes warhead does run better. :)

16. Lionheart

Lionheart

Thanks Received:
    Yeah I use mods aswell, have they released that extreme mod or wateva its called, the one where your walking and running realistically but it just looks like you bobbing up & down like a retard lol:laugh: