1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Why does GPU Boost kick in on games like MW3 that don't need a boost?

Discussion in 'NVIDIA' started by Phusius, May 19, 2012.

1. Phusius

Phusius New Member

Thanks Received:
    I know my base clocks easily max out MW3... so why does GPU-Z always say the boost clocks not only kicked in it but OC'ed to what I have set in EVGA Precision... surely a game like that does not need a boost.

2. Bo$$

Bo$$ Lab Extraordinaire

Thanks Received:
    well check the nvidia control panel, maybe you can disable it for each application

3. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    Nvidia don't mind , and it helped them in benchmark comparisons againsst amd

4. Xaser04

Xaser04

Thanks Received:
    Simply put it is down to how GPU boost is designed to work.

Essentially as long as there is TDP headroom the card will boost as far as possible, this will result in the best possible performance in any said game.

Unfortunately it has the side effect of boosting massively in games where the GPU goes under utilised (and thus has plenty of TDP headroom).

You can attempt to restrict this behaviour by reducing the power target from the 100% base it is set at in Afterburner (I assume you can do similar in precision). If you set it at say 75% (or -25% depending on how it is outputted) when you play COD it shouldn't boost very far (if at all).

Phusius says thanks.
  5. Phusius

Phusius New Member

Thanks Received:
    I am ok with it boosting in every game as long as it is not going to wear out the life of my card, fyi, it never gets past 64 celsius 99% of the time with the fan profile I have set to curve quite high.

The fan noise isn't that bad honestly on this card, which is surprising.

6. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Just limit your games with VSync. Your card will process only enough for 60fps or whatever your refresh rate is on your monitor.

Phusius says thanks.
  7. Protagonist

Protagonist

Thanks Received:
    @Phusius
    I have read several websites people reporting same as you, on almost all games. I think Nvidia never got rid of the hot clocks, I think they just renamed it to BOOST, so that we think they got rid of it, coz it runs all the time just like the hot clocks on the older cards

Phusius says thanks.
  8. Xaser04

Xaser04

Thanks Received:
    GPU boost is nothing like the old shader hot clocks at all.