1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Why does my CPU crash at idle? i5 2500k

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by random, Mar 6, 2011.

1. random

random

Thanks Received:
    Hey guys,

I have a small problem, at my CPU (1.315) voltages I've run LinX 25 times and is completely fine under load but while I'm just surfing the net and while it remains pretty much idle I experience the 0x124 crash which indicates that I need more Vcore or VTT...

What I don't get is why would I get a 0x124 crash while idle when it has 25 passed LinX stable on load.. does each chip's vdroop vary? could this be the reason I am getting these annoying crashes? LLC is enabled but only level 1 (Minor).
  2. Paulieg

Paulieg The Mad Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I've been discussing this very issue with some other Sandy Bridge owners. I've had it happen with my 2600K/TP67XE setup. It seems that sometimes if your vcore is just barely high enough to pass a stability test, boards sometimes will vdroop just enough at idle to crash. Set C state limit to "CO" This seems to help minimize but not entirely cure the problem. The only cure is once you've passed a stability test and you know you are close to the overclock limit for your vcore, bump it up one notch. This does cure the problem.
    random says thanks.
  3. random

random

Thanks Received:
    What is funnier is that I've bumped up the voltage one time and my computer was on for 2 days straight then about half way through the third day of my computer being on... boom! it got the 0x124 error and I almost punched out my monitor :banghead:... I think I now prefer OC'ing my i7 930 since it had less complications :laugh:.

Thanks for the tips and helping me confirm the problem, I was stumped because I was starting to think that I could have been killing my PSU somehow since I am really pushing it at the moment. :toast:

Question: Could this issue be fixed by the mobo manufacturers through BIOS updates? Or are we Sandybridge users stuck to deal with it..
  4. Paulieg

Paulieg The Mad Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I would think that they could fix it through a bios update. It's on my list of things to ask a Biostar rep that I know. Who knows, it may be fixed in the new revisions coming out this month. It's funny that people assume that SB is "easy" to overclock. This is true up to 4.3-4.4, but after that you do have to fine tune voltage etc. quite a bit to maintain stability.
    random says thanks.
  5. random

random

Thanks Received:
    That is the exact assumption that got me a bit skeptical about having faulty parts while I was doing my usual OC routine, I kept thinking one of my parts were bad. Looks like my overclock just needs more work after all.