1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Why does my GTX 470 freeze in-game?

Discussion in 'NVIDIA' started by T3kl0rd, Sep 6, 2010.

1. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Well as a bit of a back story to my own "470 Experience". I had a 700W OCZ game extreme. I bought it 3-4 years ago, but had to RMA it about a year and a half ago. I set up the rig in my signature on it, and due to age and the power draw of my setup with it, I popped that PSU as soon as I attempted the first boot with it. I then slid in my 1KW Silverstone and it booted right up. So effectively in a year and a half, my 700W PSU wasnt up to the task at hand, I assume you are running into a similar image.

I also understand you dont want to randomly throw money into parts. May I suggest borrowing a PSU, or if that is impossible, maybe grab yourself a $30 kill-o-watt meter to see just what is going on before you make any drastic decisions.

2. T3kl0rd

T3kl0rd

Thanks Received:
    Randomly throwing money into parts isn't my concern. I want to try the $2.50 part before the $100 one to make sure it is the PSU.

Your old PSU could have been defective and when you changed parts, it couldn't change with them. OCZ PSUs have problems like all brand of PSUs do. My OCZ RAM was DOA, so it could be quality issues with that brand.

My PSU isn't that old, so deterioration should not be as pronounced. Going to be a couple of weeks before the adapter gets here from China before I can definitively say whether or not it is the PSU.

3. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    my point is though, if you are deteriorated at all you are under spec;)

I would look for a kill-o-watt or similar device and see what kind of power you are drawing when the lag occurs.

The OCZ could have been shit, I cant deny that at all, but shutting down my HX1000 in SLI and in Tri SLI, I know these cards are hungry.

4. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Let us know how the new adapter works! :toast:

5. Techtu

Techtu

Thanks Received:
    Gaming on a dual core :shadedshu ... my second rig does thing's like this (stutter etc) and it hasn't a shortage of anything accept some mhz :laugh:

6. mastrdrver

mastrdrver

Thanks Received:
    :roll:

Back to the topic.....I've actually heard of people saying running a dual and then moving to a quad solved problems that T3kL0rd is experiencing. Though not many.

7. T3kl0rd

T3kl0rd

Thanks Received:
    Will update for sure. Gonna be a couple of weeks until it arrives unfortunately. Hope to post surprising results.

My cores aren't synced right on this AMD processor. Believe all AMD dual cores are that way. DCO made everything silky smooth without stutter until Windows shut it down.

Gonna upgrade to i7 950 as soon as it is $200 here at my local Micro Center. Already have the mobo. Look forward to really using this GTX 470 and eliminating the dual core stutter!

8. T3kl0rd

T3kl0rd

Thanks Received:
  9. mastrdrver

mastrdrver

Thanks Received:
    T3kl0rd says thanks.
  10. Techtu

Techtu

Thanks Received:
    I have to side with MasterDriver on this one... anyone will tell you on this forum that using a cheap (generic) PSU on a system such as yours is like letting your 2 year old nephew play paint by numbers on your monitor.... YOU JUST DON'T DO IT :D

Here is a short list of a couple of PSU manufacturers that I can remember of, and will be great to use

Antec
    BeQuiet
    Corsair
    Enermax

There is a couple more than that I'm sure but I have a terrible memory :/ someone might be able to fill you in on the others :)

T3kl0rd says thanks.
  11. T3kl0rd

T3kl0rd

Thanks Received:
    So you're saying that if the 12V output of the 750W PSU equals the 12V output of the 850W PSU, then the 750W PSU will actually be supplying the same amount of juice as the 850W PSU? The 850W PSU is rated <78% and the 750W is 80Plus certified, that means the 750W is actually outputting more juice ratio per its stated rating of 750W right? thanks

Last edited: Sep 26, 2010
  12. cheezburger

cheezburger New Member

Thanks Received:
    i still use e8500 on one of my rig and runs perfectly on some modern game well thanks to these console port publisher..my another rig also runs perfect on l4d...and it is athlon x2 4600+...

13. Techtu

Techtu

Thanks Received:
    Hmmm.... really do you just like causing arguments? I've seen a few of your post's now and they just seem to annoy people, I'm starting to get the idea your not doing intentionally, but just a bit of friendly advice, just try not to seem so aggressive in your posts :toast:

Judging by the system recommendations for that game you should have no problem running Left 4 Dead on pretty much any dual core processor & even some single core processors :)

14. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    Yeah i would ditch your hec orion psu or whatever it is. those are honestly terrible PSU. ditch it for like a Seasonic X650 or Antec True Power new 750.

15. blkhogan

blkhogan New Member

Thanks Received:
    Im thinking your new psu will fix your problem. You have to understand that with psu's the rated 12v amp output is not a fixed number. You will have some wavering. Getting one that has more amperage output should eliminate this. Thats why they list it as the minimum requirements. Minimum is what you need to run it in normal situations under normal load. If you talk to the manufacturer they will tell you to give it a little bit of head room above the listed minimum. It will run with the minimum requirements but under above normal loads you will hit the wall. Good luck. :toast:

16. mastrdrver

mastrdrver

Thanks Received:
    Seasonic (used by XFX) is another

If I can find a list I'd seen someone made over on Jonny Guru forum I'll link it in my sig and this thread.

No, I'm saying it is about quality of product and components used.

On the 12v thing.......

The Xion masqurades as a 850w unit.

When you look at the sticker you see the 850w is just peak and not continuous. Continuous is ~760w with all three combined voltages. The max you can get continuous out of the 12v (which is important for any Fermi card(s)) is 720w(60A). This is exactly the same as the Corsair unit.

This all says nothing about the quality of voltage or components used which is what I started out saying first (which the Corsair unit is miles better on both fronts than the Xion unit).

17. T3kl0rd

T3kl0rd

Thanks Received:
    There is only one 12V rail, will that be a problem? What is the formula you are using to determine what the continuous wattage is of these PSUs? thanks

18. Batou1986

Batou1986

Thanks Received:
    i was under the impression that a single powerful 12v rail is better then multiple low load rails

19. T3kl0rd

T3kl0rd

Thanks Received:
    How about:

Raidmax
    Thermaltake
    Rosewill
    OCZ
    Cooler Master

Those are also well known, they known to be stable as well? Any PSU by any manufacturer can fail on you or be DOA.

If one GTX 470 requires 38A on the 12V rail/rails, would two in SLI require 76A?

I recommend my Hec Orion 585W PSU for folks running a single core/dual core CPU/single GPU setup. The GPU not being a current gen one like mine is. Great for legacy rigs.

I was playing Oblivion and my gpu didn't shut down once, seems to do that a lot more with online games. Also, I edited some lines in the Oblivion.ini and the stuttering stopped, plays silky smooth now. FYI in case anyone else out there is playing Oblivion. Now to figure out how to get the AA to work with HDR in nVidia Inspector which STILL doesn't work...

20. mastrdrver

mastrdrver

Thanks Received:
    Multiple or single 12v rails doesn't matter.

Forumla? I'm not using any formula other than: amps = watts/volts

You can get this information off of almost all psu stickers. If they are single rail they will list the amperage it can take. Divide that by 12 and you get your watts.

On multiple rail psu they have to list what 12v1, 12v2, 12v3, etc max amperage or watts they can handle combined. If they list watts just divide by 12 to get your amps.

The only time the multiple 12v psu couldn't be as good as a single 12v rail is if the load is unbalanced to overload the capacity of one of the rails. They both though pull 12v from a single source it is just the "multiple rail" psu divides up the 12v and should have over current protection for each rail but some don't to save on costs.

Cooler Master and OCZ are ok and the Toughpower series from Thermaltake are good but the others are meh. You can get much better units (even better than CM and OCZ) for close to the same price. I'd even take Antec over OCZ and CM.

Just because you're psu doesn't blow up doesn't mean it is good. I see a lot of people mention about upgrading their video card and then they have problems with the system restarting or shutting off. This is a result of the unit over heating and shutting down or not being able to supply enough power which causes the system to restart in the middle of a game or what ever high load app they are using (this is not talking about stress testing while trying to overclock to see if you're stable).

21. T3kl0rd

T3kl0rd

Thanks Received:
    I got this power supply instead:

CORSAIR TX Series CMPSU-950TX 950W ATX12V v2.3/EPS12V v2.91 SLI Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply

78A 12V output seems low for 950W but there are some reviews on the Egg with people running more power hungry systems than mine and they say this PSU runs great. Hopefully this will work great for years to come and on even more powerful future builds. Everyone says don't buy no name PSUs. I seriously think the risks aren't too much greater than the well known brands but I don't want to risk it with everything I am putting into this PC.

Jonnyguru gave this PSU a glowing review, it looks like a real winner.

I said my current PSU is great for legacy systems, not one like I am building. If you have an old P4, which is what I bought it for originally, it works awesome for that type system.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2010
  22. cheezburger

cheezburger New Member

Thanks Received:
    you PSU isn't that bad, just can't handle 470.

simple fact.

23. T3kl0rd

T3kl0rd

Thanks Received:
    Tech2 is right, you chafe.

It's time to upgrade since I hope to SLI GTX 470's, even if my current PSU did work, I need to future proof. Feel better about using Corsair anywho.

24. Techtu

Techtu

Thanks Received:
    As I said someone would probably come along shortly to fill you in on the other decent PSU brands... I just didn't know it would be yourself :p

Also I know any PSU can fail or DOA but as alway's it's worth spending a little more on a PSU what has a lot less chance of failing or being DOA. hence the brands what have been mentioned :) but I really wouldn't want to recommend the cheaper OCZ or Cooler Master PSU's though.

25. T3kl0rd

T3kl0rd

Thanks Received:
    Those are the most popular brands on the Egg.