1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Why does my PC freeze after GPU OC?

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by matteumayo, Jul 8, 2011.

1. matteumayo New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have a PowerColor 5850, and every time I change any of the OC settings in AMD Overdrive it freezes eventually.

By freeze I mean that the computer basically becomes and image of what I was doing; no BSOD, no black screen, just freezing.

Anyone know what's happening?

P.S. I have recently tried OC'ing my new CPU and it results in the same freezing. (I made a separate thread and got some good advice, which I will try soon)

2. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    You need to isolate the GPU from the CPU overclocking.

Clock one at a time, doing both adds too many variables into the correct solution.
    I would think freezing on what you were doing could be memory related, but I have also see it where a CPU with too little voltage can do this.

Reset both to default settings, clock one and get it stable, and allow us to help you out as you go;)

3. matteumayo New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well I tried just OC'ing the 5850 when I first got the new CPU (stock clocks).

4. sneekypeet

Thanks Received:
    was the PC stable before you started, did you test it?

5. matteumayo New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes, if you mean before OC, the PC was running flawlessly.

Just a quick note: I just checked CPU-z and it reports my voltage to be 1.43!!! :confused:

I'm pretty sure the stock voltage is 1.35... if that's the case then could that be the issue?

Last edited: Jul 8, 2011
  6. sneekypeet

Thanks Received:
    only real issue there would be overheating....as long as cool'nquiet is active, it should throttle to allow the chip to cool off, not stop entirely.

7. matteumayo New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hmmm... I'm pretty sure I disabled "cool'n'quiet" in my BIOS settings... however the chip hasn't overheated as far as I know (running <40 degrees most of the time).

EDIT: I'm off to bed. I'll check on the thread in the morning.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2011
  8. TC-man

TC-man

Thanks Received:
    Hi,

perhaps it's a good idea to replace the PSU, because the HEC/Compucase Orion is not sufficient for your setup; it may be good enough for system with an Athlon64 X2 + Geforce 7800 class GFXcard, but not for a PC with a Quad core Phenom II + HD5850. If I remember it correctly you could buy this exact model for 19.99 USD several years ago (directron has it now for 24.99 USD), I would never buy such PSU to power a modern gaming PC system myself, let alone overclocking with it. So consider to purchase a more decent PSU if you can.

There's more info about the internal of this PSU (for the techies;)): http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8011

matteumayo says thanks.
  9. matteumayo New Member

Thanks Received:
    I had a hunch it might be the PSU... thanks.