1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Why does my RAM fail all the time?

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by J-Man, Jun 5, 2008.

1. CrAsHnBuRnXp

CrAsHnBuRnXp

Thanks Received:
    Yes. Along with all other information you need.
  2. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    just be sure you filled your specs out to the T there...they are sticklers on knowing all the parts included with the issue.

I also would try bumping the Voltage to the NB if you are running 4 sticks of ram...Was a must with running my tracers.
  3. J-Man

J-Man New Member

Thanks Received:
    For an example if I tested my RAM now and I got 1 error then I increase the NB a bit THEN test my RAM again and had no errors, is that possible or would my RAM have 1 error?
  4. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    thats why I say add some NB voltage....where was it prior and now?
  5. J-Man

J-Man New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well I increased the voltage in the BIOS and I tested my RAM again (4x 1GB) and I got 2 errors this time. Is it best to get the faulty stick replaced and also buy the Corsair memory cooler?
  6. DanishDevil

DanishDevil

Thanks Received:
    This is what I would do (and what OCZ will ask you to do).

Test one stick at a time in a slot that you know works. Check each for errors.
  7. J-Man

J-Man New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'll try that tomorrow after work :). I'll test all 4 and hopefully only one stick is faulty then I can leave it out then leave 3GB in and play Crysis without blue screens! :)

Cheers guys.
  8. HTC

HTC

Thanks Received:
    Doesn't MemTest say which stick is faulty?

If so, try testing all the sticks separately in the slot that failed to rule out motherboard problems.
  9. J-Man

J-Man New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'll try that but I doubt it's the motherboard slots itself because I've only had my board for about 2 months.
  10. HTC

HTC

Thanks Received:
    Who knows: your problem could be a RAM slot and not the RAM.

This way, you should be able to test both and make sure if the problem lies solely with the RAM or not.
  11. J-Man

J-Man New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well I'm back for results. I tested all 4 sticks of RAM and memtest found 2 errors in one stick, 32 errors in the other and the other two passed so right now I'm back down to 2GB for now. Up on format (due to new motherboard and GPU), I have had numerous blue screens but I thought that was caused by me overclocking too high in the BIOS or something but I don't think I've had a blue screen since loading the defaults (in BIOS). OCZ sent me a email and I have my RMA number but they asked me to wrap my RAM in anti static bags and print a copy of the email they sent me but I don't have a printer and nor anti static bags so I asked if it's possible if I can pack the RAM in bubble wrap and put them in a thick envelope with bubble wrap inside that so I'm still waiting for a reply.
  12. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    The post office should have an anti-static bag for you. I doubt they will take them only wrapped in bubble wrap.
  13. J-Man

J-Man New Member

Thanks Received:
    They will have a anti static bag in the shop to buy or some behind the counter?

By the way, I just tested my 2GB RAM using memtest and it found 2 errors in the first 15 minutes and thing is I tested the 2 stick individually and I got no errors?
  14. erocker

Thanks Received:
    Be sure to run things at stock settings. The post office does charge for the bags, however they are very cheap.
  15. J-Man

J-Man New Member

Thanks Received:
    Oh so I buy one then bring it back, pack the ram then put it in a small package then send it off? I am going post office tomorrow anyway because I'm posting my Xbox 360.
  16. erocker

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, just make sure that the RAM is safe and secure for shipping. If the RAM gets damaged in any way, the RMA may not go through. Put in anti-static back, wrap in bubble wrap, put in small box.:)
  17. J-Man

J-Man New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have some thick envelopes which have a thin layer of bubble wrap in it (ones that you can put PS2 games in and DVD's etc) Will that be ok? So I put the 2GB kit in the anti static bag FIRST then wrap the anti static bag with bubble wrap then put it in my compact envelope? They should accept it should they? How long roughly will it take for me to receive the RAM back?
  18. J-Man

J-Man New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have found an anti static and and put the stick in it and wrap it very thick in bubble wrap and put it in a letter sort of thing that has bubble wrap already in it.
  19. J-Man

J-Man New Member

Thanks Received:
    Also what causes RAM to all of a sudden get errors? One minute I test my RAM and get no errors then the next I run memtest again and I get like 32 errors. It's strange.
  20. suraswami

suraswami

Thanks Received:
    I have the same issue. I am running Abit AN-M2 + Phenom. 2 x 1GB Crucial DDR2 800 + 2 x 1GB DDR2 667 Centon no issues. Rock solid for about 15 days. Both Windows XP pro 32 bit and W2K3 64 bit. Since this one is mainly for server purposes, I upgraded to 6gb pulling out the centons. Bought OCZ. Put in and always get BSOD every time I open HWMonitor and rest of the time at random even when installing or uninstalling something. My windows was corrupt. Re-installed W2K3 still problem. Then Pulled out the OCZ and replaced with all Crucial same speed stick to 6GB. Still the same issue. In XP pro 32 bit rock solid with both the above 6GB combinations. After lots of troubleshooting I gave up and ordered a new board. Yet to install everything.

Do you all think its memory issue like J-Man is having. I am thinking its bios issue. Hey J, did you see if they have a new bios?
  21. J-Man

J-Man New Member

Thanks Received:
    I haven't checked yet.
  22. suraswami

suraswami

Thanks Received:
    Ok I installed new board (ECS GF8200A). Still the same. According to Microsoft its a driver issue. Don't know which one is crapping out. Going to re-install windows and install one by one and see which sucker is killing the OS.
  23. J-Man

J-Man New Member

Thanks Received:
    My RAM is very strange. First off, I tested my 2GB of RAM and I tested the 1GB stick alone and it passed in memtest and the other 1GB stick passed too on it's own but when I use memtest with both 1GB sticks in, I get 2 errors. WTF Haha?
  24. Gam'ster

Gam'ster New Member

Thanks Received:
    Very odd but RMA them just to be safe, if theres nothing wrong with them all u lost out on was shipping and i think it was around £6 mark to The Netherlands.

Gam
  25. suraswami

suraswami

Thanks Received:
    Finally got my machine Stable. XP Pro 32 bit + W2K3 Ent 32 bit. It was damn drivers for f... 64 bit Windows. Screw that. W2K3 with PAE sees all 6GB even if it was only 32 bit. My NT guy said for sure it won't. Bas.... Wasted almost 4 weeks struggling with various options New Board, New Ram, New Video card damn even new HDD.

I should have gone with my instinct (do not listen to that bas..) and went with just 32 bit.

Configuring VM now.

J - please check if you have correct drivers and mostly validated ones. Make sure you update all the drivers from manufacturer web-site (board manufacturer).

Woo Hoo! ECS :rockout: Always when top brands f... with me ECS comes in to help.

OCed the Phenom 9500 at default voltage to 2.6G from 2.2.:D