1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Why exactly is ATi considered be better at HDMI?

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by newtekie1, May 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ToTTenTranz

ToTTenTranz New Member

Thanks Received:

Believe some people here?
    Yeah, you're right, I don't have to.

I have my HTPC connected to an Onkyo SR674 A/V Receiver. It has a Radeon HD4850.

From day one, it just works (7.1 PCM sound and display). Zero problems so far.

2. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    actually I have always found it annoying that when i reinstall the drivers for the card and have the tv (via HDMI) connected, it always steals the audio from my regular card(stereo3.6mm->speakers). I always have to change it back...

3. BrooksyX

BrooksyX

Thanks Received:
    Just because you have a hard time setting up HDMI with an ATI card doesnt mean everyone else does too. My 4650 scales perfectly at 1080p on my HDTV. No messing around with settings. And audio drivers install with Video drivers too. Your argument is very one-sided. I have had HDMI nvidia cards too and I have had the same problems on them as you have had with ATi cards.

heky says thanks.
  4. Delta6326

Delta6326

Thanks Received:
    well i have never had to do anything to make hdmi work for me just plug into card and tv = done

5. freaksavior

freaksavior To infinity ... and beyond!

Thanks Received:
    I understand your frustration, but for tv support, I find ATI much better, yeah, you gotta do a couple extra steps, but i have less trouble with this.

Crunching for Team TPU
  6. H82LUZ73

H82LUZ73

Thanks Received:
    Windows always loads the newest drivers first,And as having to install another driver the sound drivers are part of the Cat install,

I just hooked my new SamSung 40" HDTV up and had not one problem with it.Like someone said if your new and do not know what it is like then why not read up on it and then try it,not just complain about it,Most of the reviews here sate since the hd2900 cards that the DVI to HDMI adapter is required for sound over the cable.

7. Hellfire

Thanks Received:
    From my personal experience I have never had a problem with my HDMI through my ATI card, I plugged the cable into my adapter where it has remained (never need remove it) and just replace my second monitor with the HD tv when I want to use it, no sound issues at all, of course unless you count the fact if you have a media file open, then change to the HDTV the media file originally open plays through the sound source the HDTV replaced (ie normal speakers/headphones) which is perfectly normal from what I can tell.

I am not saying it is perfect for everyone, your ranting that ATI is "considered better for HDMI" when you believe it isn't, ATI is "considered" if you can use that word, better because a majority seem to prefer ATI's HDMI system than the Nvidia

The best is typcally choosen by the masses, I do not argue that ATI is flawless, but a majority, and it can be seen from this thread, prefer AMD/ATI over the Nvidia system for HDMI.

8. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    The simple fact of the matter is that nVidia does not have the scaling issue, they do not have idiotic backward ass names for their audio outputs(though the new ones might I'll have to check and I get my GTX470), and they do not require a special HDMI adaptors.

That is the thing, I don't see how it is better, or why anyone would say so. No one can give me a decent reason. I feel like the people saying it is better are probably the same that would have you believe Macs are better...they give the same BS reasoning..."It just works". Well it might for some, but it doesn't for all, and the nVidia solution does(or at least did). There are are not over/under scan issue with nVidia, not on any of my TVs or any of the cards I've used. It is a feature left over from CRT TVs, that should never have been implemented on anything LCD related. The only real reasoning is for sound quality, which I will agree is theoretically better, but in practice not so much unless you have spent huge money on a sound system.

And really, with the new GTX400 series, I think I prefer ATi for this purpose, as the mini-HDMI thing is completely stupid. They should have just put an HDMI port on the cards like ATi did, so no adaptor is required.

I'm certainly not new to HDMI via DVI. I had it up and running in 5 minutes really, excluding the half hour looking through boxes in my basement for the HD4890 box with the special HDMI adaptor in it...

Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  9. SNiiPE_DoGG New Member

Thanks Received:
    I dont know how all of your GPU scaling options got enabled in that configuration window, but I have never touched that panel for my HDTV and all of those settings are disabled and I have had no scaling problems. (obviously by default) its possible the scaling got enabled when you accidentally set a resolution that was a bit askew to the panel aspect ratio?

10. Gzero New Member

Thanks Received:
    /thread please :/

Your stance has been from the very beginning of the thread to slag off ATI regardless of what ANY poster says.

It's clearly not getting through to you newtekie.

Just accept it, neither camp has the perfect solution for ALL setups as someone somewhere will find a problem/limitation related or unrelated to the gpu anyway.

Goodman and eidairaman1 say thanks.
  11. Hellfire

Thanks Received:
    I have to agree, I find his posts very hypocritical as well, he bitches and moans saying the ATI is full of problems and EVERYONE has them, he also ignores the people who do not experience the problems, but the moment someone mentions that they have a problem with a Nvidia card he's doing the opposite and defending them saying there are NO problems at all with Nvidia

It's just another simple case of fanboyisum and slagging imo.

eidairaman1 says thanks.
  12. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    This thread is about ATI and Nvidia HDMI, not the OP's point of view.
    If you have something constructive to add, feel free. If not, let it go.
    Don't take this thread to a personal level as it will not end well.

Okay ? :)

13. Gzero New Member

Thanks Received:
    In that case, I'll add my own feelings on the subject. ATI offered sound through HDMI in a convenient way before Nvidia (if you got your dvi adapter with your card). Hence for non technical users this meant ATI cards worked out of the box with no added layer of plugging in a wire to get it to work.

Scaling and padding issues exist through poor cables and hardware identification issues, usually neither ATI or Nvidia's fault.

Remember HDMI was originally just DVI with audio, whoever gets the audio done right wins. Other wise hdmi with no sound is just a glorified DVI port :p

Edit: Plus it used to be called HDMI Audio, BEFORE the HD5xxx series came out, they only recently renamed it since the newer cards have Display ports on them.

Last edited: May 4, 2010
  14. ToTTenTranz

ToTTenTranz New Member

Thanks Received:
    So the whole argument about nVidia's audio being superior is that you don't like the name that ATI has given to the sound output?

And you prefer having to connect an internal SPDIF cable and installing a different soundcard over ATI's solution that installs the audio drivers automatically (you'd have to install the graphics drivers anyways)... even if nVidia's solution is clearly inferior, from a technical point of view?

About the adapters.. every single card from ATI that doesn't have HDMI output is bundled with a DVI->HDMI adapter. So what if it's special? They give you one for free.
    Unfortunately, the same cannot be said about nVidia cards.

15. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    See this is where the fanboys really come out. See, I say "ATi isn't better" and the fanboys are the first in the topic to jump on the assumption that I'm saying nVidia is better...

Read the posts, I have my beefs with nVidia's method also.

No, I prefer connecting a standard SPD/IF cable over using a non-standard HDMI to DVI adaptor. And since I use a 6ft standard DVI to HDMI cable on my 60" TV in the living room to connect my HTPC to the TV, I would have to pull the entire TV out to get to the back to change this cable if I wanted to use an ATi card because they don't use a standard adaptor and the cable doesn't work...works fine with my nVidia card though.

I'd rather use the sound card already in my computer, yes.

The only thing "superior" about ATi's method is possible the sound quality, but I(and probably 90% of people using this) are connecting it to a stereo TV, so it doesn't really matter.

The bundle is entirely up to the manufacturer. Oh look an HD4550 without an HDMI adaptor...oh look here is an HD4350 that doesn't come with one either...OMG ToTTenTranz is wrong again...who would've guessed...

16. DaMulta

DaMulta My stars went supernova

Thanks Received:
    odd, I never had the black bar problem HDMI on Nvidia/or AMD.

Yet, I have had flickering issues DM-I with ATi that I didn't have with Nvidia.(also have seen it on other peoples rigs)

Also N cards seem to work better on standered S-Video than ATi.

Sound with HDMI never used it. Always ran direct sound cables. Well I take that back, I have installed plenty of other peoples machines with it. Really on a fresh install there is no isses with audio on AMD cards. At least none that I seen.

17. ToTTenTranz

ToTTenTranz New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah right.
    Read the rest of the posts in this thread and try to figure out who's the fanboy, by popular belief.

Well then go and buy your beloved nVidia card again.
    And do it fast, so you can stop with these pointless rants.

LOL and you even used quotation marks around superior. :laugh:
    So now it's not superior anymore because you're only doing stereo.
    That and some little green man told you that 90% of the people only connect to the TV and don't care about surround sound. :roll:

Did you actually open those boxes or you just saw a couple of pics from the newegg website?
    Thought so, kthxbye.

Gzero says thanks.
  18. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    This thread is going nowhere. People will just agree or disagree, there is no mind changing relevance to this thread. Points have been made, there is nothing further to discuss or add to lead to any kind of enlightenment. Am I wrong?

19. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    I don't think so. OP doesn't like it PC HDMI period. Seems he really wishes ATI's worked better for him. :laugh:

Persoanlly, I tihnk HDMI itself sucks, but that's neither here nor there.

20. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    I don't really feel like reading through all this as I'm just going to say my expierence here. I just hooked up my new 2x 5850's, installed a fresh windows, I am running my monitor off the HDMI from the videocard. I didn't have to touch underscan or overscan, I have no black bars, and it outputs audio through my monitor by just switch the output to HDMI. Not sure why you have so many steps listed.

21. MadClown

MadClown New Member

Thanks Received:
    NY, the state were you cant defend yourself
    If my TV had VGA and DVI ports I wouldnt be using HDMI, just the thought of audio and sound coming through the same cable sounds sketchy to me. Might work good for standard TV viewing, but I like having my audio and video signals go over separate cables. Makes me feel like less of a pussy.

22. ToTTenTranz

ToTTenTranz New Member

Thanks Received:
    You are right.

At first I thought this could actually become an enlightening and useful thread for some people trying to figure out why ATI's HDMI output is considered better (than pre-DX10.1 nVidia hardware) in most reviews.

It turns out the OP had a whole other agenda (to start a public bash about a company at all costs), which makes this thread pretty much pointless.

23. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    Oh, don't get hostal now just because you were proven wrong that gets us no where. You seem to really want to paint me as a fanboy simply because I don't believe ATi is better, but you fail hard at it. Again, when someone says ATi isn't better, that doesn't mean they are saying nVidia is.

Yes, I have, I've bought several lower end HD4000 series cards that did not have built in HDMI or an included HDMI adaptor.

I've also gone through several second hand cards that came with nothing but the card.

Yeah, pretty much. The people that it worked right away for will never believe it has any issues, and the people that have issues with it will just be told it works right away by everyone that was lucky. You can probably close the thread, since no one can really add anything more useful.

Now I'm bashing the entire company because I don't think their connection method is better than nVidia's...:shadedshu

Can't take any criticism of precious ATi can you? I guess you just skimmed over the posts where I talked about my beefs with nVidia's method.

AGAIN, BECAUSE SOME SEEM TO BE HARD HEADED, I'M NOT SAYING NVIDIA'S METHOD IS BETTER! This is especially true now that nVidia has gone to using a built in sound card on their cards also. And their mini-HDMI port is just BS.

24. ToTTenTranz

ToTTenTranz New Member

Thanks Received:
    Sure, you're not.

:roll:

Sure, you did. :laugh:

25. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    Sooo...where exactly in any of that did I say nVidia's method was better? The comparison of steps to get it working, maybe, but the rest of it? How is that saying nVidia's method is better? So if I say I don't like how confusing connecting the SPD/IF connector is, and I don't like how they provide next to no documentation for it, and how some sound cards or motherboards don't have SPD/IF connecotrs, and I'd prefer higher quality sound. Would you then say I was saying ATi's method was better?:confused:

Does it work both ways with you? If someone is pointing out negatives about nVidia, do you call them an ATi loving fanboy also? Or is it only when someone is doing it with ATi?

Don't make the idiotic presumption that just becuase you think someone is an nVidia fanboy, they actually are, and they haven't used ATi products.

I've gone through huge numbers of ATi products from pretty much every series going back to the 7000 series. The only series I didn't own an ATi card from was the HD2000 series, and I didn't own a G80 based card either from the same timeframe, because neither was worth the money. The only reason I run a G80 8800GTS now is because I got an insane deal on it here on the forums to get a rig up and GPU folding.