1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Why I Quit Instagram

Discussion in 'General Nonsense' started by micropage7, Dec 20, 2012.

1. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

Instagram said they’re “listening”, stating that “The language we proposed also raised question about whether your photos can be part of an advertisement.” That question was raised because the terms of service language said very explicitly that photos could be used as part of an advertisement. I appreciate the update, and Instagram’s willingness to communicate — and I’m listening. But the company still hasn’t really said anything. Without a clear commitment on its end, I’m not making a clear commitment either: In short, I still want options.

I quit Instagram today. Not only that, I nuked my account. It’s gone; deleted. Can’t get it back. No more.

I signed up for Instagram a month after it launched, in November of 2010. I was hooked from the giddy-up. My first photo? A pretty boring beach scene: gone now, but you can still see it above. Photos of food and beer and nights out on the town followed – banalities and burritos and bad photography, through Valencia hues.

But Instagram also caught a lot of meaningful moments. The first photo I ever shared of my daughter? On Instagram. Likewise, I loved that it’s given me a window into my friends’ lives these past two years. I’ve seen triumphs and failures, and, sure, photos of food. Instagram is more than just a photo-sharing site – more than a social network, even. It has turned into a robust media platform, a place where we can turn to peek in at events across the globe — from the 2012 London Olympics to Egypt’s Tahrir Square.

By now you’ve likely heard Instagram changed its terms of service. There is a lot not to like, but I didn’t quit because of any single change in particular.

Why did I quit Instagram? It’s the thoughtlessness, stupid.

Instagram was built not by a team of ten in San Francisco’s South Park – but by tens of millions and then hundreds of millions of people all over the world. With all due respect to the work that Kevin Systrom and Mike Krieger put into building a wonderful app that scaled to meet unprecedented growth, Instagram succeeded because of network effects.

Which makes it remarkable that the company has shown such utter disrespect for that very network of people.

Here’s the part of their new terms of service that has so many people up in arms:

To help us deliver interesting paid or sponsored content or promotions, you agree that a business or other entity may pay us to display your username, likeness, photos (along with any associated metadata), and/or actions you take, in connection with paid or sponsored content or promotions, without any compensation to you.

What does that mean? The bottom line is that Instagram is reserving the right to use your photos as it sees fit, without permission or even notification, in advertisements and promotions. It hasn’t said it owns them, or that it will do that – it just can.

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2012/12/opinion_instagram-quit-users/

2. yogurt_21

yogurt_21

Thanks Received:
    wow, people still use instagram?

3. silkstone

silkstone

Thanks Received:
    what exactly is instagram?

I saw a couple of headlines, but i have never heard of it until now.

4. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    +1

5. Guitarrassdeamor

Guitarrassdeamor

Thanks Received:
    Some program where people can share their duck face and sepia/black & white photos that show how "artistic" they are.

6. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    By doing this, they are also breaching multiple privacy laws/rights. In theory, they have no right to sell or distribute your 'data' without your consent as it is all personal or private information/data unless you give them the go ahead.

I doubt Instagram have thought it through, but if they have then id like to hear how they work their way around it.

your data is your data regardless if you pay for their services or not and for them to simply just say something like "all your base belong to us" and start making money off it is not only wrong it is illegal.

Im sure there will be some sort of U-turn some way down the line when they are facing pressure for the courts and also their user/fan base most of whom would have either nuked their account and left, filed a class action lawsuit or injunction to stop whats happening or are forever going to boycott Instagram until they reverse their decision.

Its not right, but the greedy will be greedy

7. bmaverick

bmaverick

Thanks Received:
    Some of the WCing and OCing forums state in their TOS that anything you post, offer advice, do a reivew are property ofthe site. They warn against posting copywrite information and material, thus they own everything else. Glad TechPowerUP here IS NOT like those other sites. It's the big reason I stick around.

8. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    BTW why is this in general hardware? Sounds like it should be on GN instead.

9. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    You gave them the go ahead the second you agreed to the terms of agreement. Dunno what the big deal is here.

XL-R8R and Easy Rhino say thanks.
  10. 3870x2

3870x2

Thanks Received:
    It should be in General Software. I am guessing that OP meant to put it there, as they have similar titles.

11. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    this is another social network i am opting out of.

12. D4S4

D4S4

Thanks Received:
    hipstagram's too mainstream, i use photoshop

13. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    I have agreed to nothing,

I dont use instagram.

14. XL-R8R

XL-R8R

Thanks Received:
    Then the comment doesnt really apply to you.

As for MM's point; hes right.

You agree to whatever they want you to when you sign up... people who cry about it AFTER they hit "Accept" need to either A, read the damn ToS, or, B, stop using social networks and other such poo.

I for one favour option B. :)

Edit:

[​IMG]

15. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderator™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    It will be as soon as Instagram is pc software, with no phones or phone-apps getting in the way. ;)

16. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    but what if you DONT accept the ToS? Would they disable your account?? IMO - better to agree to it, nuke your account then leave it. at least they wouldnt be able to use your private pictures for monetary reasons and you would know that everything in the account is destroyed or transferred elsewhere before you ditch it. though whose not to say that Instagram takes snapshots of your account so they can restore it in the event that you nuke it or it gets hacked and you email them for help to possibly restore it??

This Instagram thing doesnt apply to me, but can laws/rights be violated just because you agreed to their ToS?? Most people would say yes it does but its a case that is better settled in court where a judge can decide if the ToS breaches any laws/rights.

ToS are rules set by the individual/organisation, and rules arent above the LAW even though there has been a lot of debate over the years if a ToS is a valid legally binding contract

Fight it out in court

17. Krazy Owl

Krazy Owl New Member

Thanks Received:
    In fact the peak of hipstersness becoming ironic since this is mostly hipster lame people using ...oh guess what... cell phone and digital cam to give themselve a life and self satisfaction of personnal coolness. Started before it was cool but now it's the Hipster kingdom making it even more ironic since hipsters are supposed to love only "Hip" new things. Making me say that they surely think... "I like to be different...like everyone else do!"

:nutkick:

18. Krazy Owl

Krazy Owl New Member

Thanks Received:
    From what I seen personnaly through years a virtual contract agreement is still valid. If you don't read the contract in life or in virtual it's your problem. That's how they turn around the problem. They posted it so people who don't take time to read or that just don't care.....or even too dumb to understand what it's all about will agree by default. That's the wy they do in business. Looser and nasty way of doing business but they are taking the easiest way to save money and starting making more by selling your intellectual property with your consent without paying you....instead of rebuilding the website and give an option to the user to choose from. So now in resume...you're out of there without these assholes or you are in with them in your asshole. :nutkick: