1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Why I read W1zz's reviews first

Discussion in 'Comments & Feedback' started by HossHuge, Aug 29, 2012.

1. HossHuge

HossHuge

Thanks Received:
    I just bought a Powercolor 7850 PCS+ the other day. Here is something I noticed from reading the reviews about it.

From Neoseeker
    Same review
    From W1zz
    I read other reviews cause I want to see how different set-ups run a card and how a card performs in different games but again, W1zz's reviews first.

I consider this to be a major f-up from Neoseeker and I'm surprised Powercolor hasn't alerted them to this.

Thanks W1zz, your attention to detail doesn't go unnoticed...:respect:

Also, has that more button always been there for more Smilies?

2. entropy13

entropy13

Thanks Received:
    Yes. But only five more smilies will be shown, as the rest can already be seen without clicking it.

HossHuge says thanks.
  3. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    You should email Neoseeker and simply attach your avatar image.

driver66 says thanks.
  4. Munki

Munki

Thanks Received:
    +1 Send a link to this thread and attach your avatar. :laugh:

In all fairness, everyone does make mistakes.

5. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    +1

Once you start pushing a certain amount of reviews, these things happen. If you look at my reviews, people almost always find some mistakes.

6. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Compiling a thousand data-points and putting together text takes its toll on a reviewer.

7. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    The Reviews here are more comprehensive and thorough than other sites ive visited

8. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    Yeah but that was a pretty glaring mistake.

HossHuge says thanks.
  9. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    I agree.

:p

Seriously though...I'm working on another board review, of course, and I just uploaded 200 images for it. 160 of those are pics in the review, plus larger images for when readers click the links. Just managing to get all the links proper, and figuring out what to write about each picture can be a daunting task. Nevermind I do this every week, so much so that boards are becoming a bit of a blur, even.

I've recently got an editor to fix all the typos I and grammar mistakes I make, because I tend to make a fair amount, I guess. Honestly, I just don't notice them 80% of the time, which means I only fix 20%. The rest, that was all W1zz's doing, so not only does he have his own reviews, he has mine as well. I mean, how many times can I write about a BIOS option before you get sick of it? 3?

Thankfully, we are all a team working together, you guys included, as without your feedback, we'd have nothing to report back to the OEMs, other than personal opinion. But as always, there is always room for improvement. I'm far from perfect, so there's no way my reviews can be either...

Typos..no big deal.

Missing the overclocking...could be the version of software they had did not work well.

Could be the OEM's fault for not reading the review after, and asking what went wrong, etc...could be many things happening in the background we aren't aware of.

suraswami says thanks.
  10. W1zzard

Thanks Received:
    i read every single review that's posted at tpu. mainly for content quality, but also for spelling/grammar

suraswami says thanks.
  11. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    Possibility they didn't have the right software/drivers to expose voltage control?

That said, I agree about the reviews here. What is really amazing is the consistency in structure and format.

12. W1zzard

Thanks Received:
    yeah, especially since powercolor does not have an oc software on their own.
    I look at those components from a software developer perspective who's active in that exact field.

Consistent structure and format makes my life easier because I can do reviews more or less mechanical.. some things like photo are already on auto-pilot :)

I am always looking for ways to improve the reviews, recent changes were 5760x1080 testing, new games, oc and temp comparison, temp on extra page because people couldnt find it

Sasqui says thanks.
  13. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    Nice, no doubt... plug and play (well sorta)

And it shows! I do like th OC comparison (and the caveat you added!)

14. Delta6326

Delta6326

Thanks Received:
    I'm getting ready to build a computer for someone and was thinking about putting the PowerColor 7850 PCS+ in it with an i3 2120(For WoW, D3 and couple others). Do you like the card? Have you had any major problems?

I only read W1zzards reviews because I can always know they are quality and you can count on them to be very accurate and controlled.

15. HossHuge

HossHuge

Thanks Received:
    The typo I can live with. Missing the fact that it does support voltage control is pretty big in my books. I mean, even I (A low level enthusiast) would have checked a few programs to see if it did.

I wish I could help you out but.......

Along with the video card I also got a FX-8120 which my ASRock 970 Extreme 4 would not boot with for some reason. A guy at a local shop tested it with a different CPU and it booted fine. So he thought there might be a problem with the CPU. So he tried a different FX-8120 and again it would not boot. He also tried 3 different bios's. Finally, he tried a new ASRock 970 Extreme 4 mobo and it worked fine....:mad:

This is the 2nd time I've had to send this mobo in for fixing. I told them I don't want that mobo back and that I want a new.

16. suraswami

suraswami

Thanks Received:
    + you also answer PMs and help members like me when I need some advice on which video card to pick.

Yes everyone makes mistakes, that is how we make ourselves better.

:toast:

17. happita

happita

Thanks Received:
    I read W1zzard's reviews simply because he's a real wizard that has a cool avatar of a funny wanna-be wizard with a wand.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
  18. Frederik S Staff

Thanks Received:
    Making mistakes is human, but some sites have more than others. Fortunately we have the Wizzard to fix all the content when it is not up to the TPU standard :)

Also thee feedback from the community is great. I have gained a lot of understanding about what people want to see and read about in the different reviews I do. Sometimes it is not completely obvious what people find interesting in a product so questions and comments are always much appreciated.