1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Why I'm now an Apple fan...

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Kantastic, Sep 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UbErN00b New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'd like to chime in as a relative noob.

I don't hate Apple as I am sure a lot of other posters here don't however I don't like the kind of company they have become whereby they will market their products as premium and superior to competing products in the market place by marketing power alone and not necessarily in terms of functionality, perfomance or longevity.

Apple made a name for themselves with the iPod and rightly so cause it was innovative and changed the personal music player industry, the same can be said with the first iPhone, however they have not really come on leaps and bounds in the mobile arena since then and have been overtaken in terms of performance and features by the likes of HTC and Samsung and their only comeback instead of innovating like they used to is to use vague patents to try and stop the competition from competing.

I am anti-Apple, I don't hate them, I just refuse to give them a dime of my money when I can get just as good and better products from other companies who are pushing the boundaries and improving their designs and products not just trying to stop anyone from competing.

2. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Unfortunately a lot of companies are like that. Car makers, jewellers, beauty products, you name it they exist a luxury lifestyle version which charges more and often not any better than others.

3. UbErN00b New Member

Thanks Received:
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that is not the case, as I will gladly spend £100's on good quality clothes/audio equipment/ (all other goods) if it represents better value than the alternatives. The difference is, I don't think Apple offer significant value over their counterparts when it comes to their products, so why should I pay that premium?

Example, I have an billabong sweater I bought in 2002 for £50, believe it or not it was quite a bit back then for a "hoody" I could get similar looking hoodies from tesco and matalan for 1/3 the cost, however having tried all 3, I still have the billabong hoody in good condition, the other generic brands lasted a year if lucky. If Apple was billabong and samsung/HTC was the latter then I would gladly buy Apple, unfortunately they don't seem to offer any better QC/customer services, ffunctionality or perfomance yet they cost 30-50% more than the likes of samsung and HTC.

4. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    That's why we (parents and I) have a 255 000 KMs 2002 Honda Civic that was bought new at 13900$ all included

Except for basic repairs totaling 1500$ or so, the car is running awesome, and saves me money on gas still.

5. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    That's average (158,450 miles) for used gasoline vehicles. If it isn't north of 200,000 miles, it isn't impressive. :p

Because no one is keeping them honest. I blame the 24 hour media cycle. 24 hours isn't enough time for real journalism.

Crunching for Team TPU
  6. m1dg3t

m1dg3t

Thanks Received:
    All hail the master! :respect:

7. Irony

Irony

Thanks Received:
    I personally despise apple, but I'm not going to condemn anyone for their personal choice. My friend bought a used Macpro for over $1000 and it has an ATI 2500. I have just over $1000 in my rig. It's things like this that make me not like apple.

Also, check out foxconn on wikipedia. Look at the china section.

@kant: I have a Transformer Prime, and after about a month, a spec of dust appeared under the glass. I'm not generally a perfectionist so I didn't do anything about it. However, I'm glad that you're finally happy with your purchase. :toast:

Last edited: Sep 7, 2012
  8. ThE_MaD_ShOt

ThE_MaD_ShOt

Thanks Received:
    All I have to say to you Mailman about that vid is

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2013
    Crunching for Team TPU
  9. trt740

trt740

Thanks Received:
    I have tried at least 5 different Android tablets and my current iPad is superior in everyway except memory expansion. The reason I tried so many Androids is I did not want to pay the high price that Apple demands. Finally after 5 tablets and apps that worked differently on each one, I got fed up and bit the bullet. I am not sorry at all. However, 9 months later and a transition from IPad 2 to IPad 3rd gen( not a waste but would not do that again) I have to say Androids programming has come along way. I just bought my kids 2 Tegra 2 Acer Iconia tabs one for 189.00 and one for 229.00. If you have kids that need tablets for school these are top notch for the money. But back on topic, I have never been a Apple fan, but there is a reason they are going to be the first trillion dollar company. Asus, Acer and Samsung, with the help of Google, are getting near the same quality but not yet. Do not bash a company merely because they have a good product. Apple has done it right and I can attest to it personally with the IPad. Don't hate something just "because," at least have a reason, a valid reason. The reason Apple is successful is the "it just works factor." Android cannot say that and that is their struggle. They are getting better but head to head Apple will kill them all they need to do is add an expansion slot. You guys do know the IPad 3rd generation's Gpu is up to 8 times faster than the Tegra 3, or potentially so. Keep that in mind. Is the third gen perfect? Nope, Hot, heavier and thicker than the prior tablet but still awesome. That's my two cents. FYI the Asus Prime 700 is pretty darn nice as well and I love my Samsung Infuse. It will be interesting when Apples 7 inch tablet gets released. I bet it is a giant hit with women and caters to them. I will hate it but women won't. Watch prices drop they day it comes out.

One more thing, the reason I have been MIA here lately is my computer use has all but disappeared due to my IPad.

Kantastic says thanks.
  10. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    It's disappointing how "behind the game" Microsoft has been this century. They rode out XP too long, they were late to the MP3 player market, they were late to the smartphone market, and now they're late to the tablet market. With Windows 8 targeting all four markets, the question is: are they fashionably late? I think the answer will be a resounding "yes" this time next year.

iPad 3 is going to have to compete with laptop hardware (Core i5) in Windows 8 Professional tablets. It can't.

Irony and trt740 say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  11. trt740

trt740

Thanks Received:
    We will see, and you could be right but pc tablets have always had battery issues. To power a core I5 that going to be a issue as is heat,not IPad 3 heat, real heat. That is why I bought a IPad and not a Lappy. Ten hours is in the low end. My IPad 3 hits 12 hours frequently. Also, Microsoft cannot make a unbloated piece of software, and that's their problem. Google and Apple yes. Microsoft no. Still I do miss real office / word but on Android Kingsoft Office is really well done. They even have a Windows 7 free version that good as well.

12. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Unless Apple do the same, people will be all up in it:laugh:

13. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    Are you kidding me? iOS and OS X have tons of bloat in them. Microsoft was ordered by the EU not to have bloat in their operating system because it's "anticompetitive." Even Solitaire and Minesweeper are no longer in Windows 8--they have to be downloaded through Windows Store.

Windows has *never* been bloated. OEMs might bloat computers they sell but that's not Microsoft's fault. Buy the computer from an OEM that doesn't bloat computers (like Systemax) and that problem is solved.

Yes, performance sacrifices battery life but that's why there is an ARM version as well.

OS X is the only operating system Apple has that can run on x86 and, like Windows 7, it is *not* tablet friendly. If Apple does release an iPad with an x86 processor, it is at least two years away because they have to port all the iOS code to support x86. That likely creates issues in App Store too so, I think Microsoft effectively pulled a quick one Apple can't beat them on. Apple will probably respond by suing Microsoft to keep Windows 8 tablets off the market.

Crunching for Team TPU
  14. trt740

trt740

Thanks Received:
    Ipad os is bloated?seems very lean to me.

15. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    iOS 5.1 has (from Apple's User Guide):
    -Safari
    -Mail
    -FaceTime
    -PhotoBooth
    -Photos
    -Videos
    -YouTube
    -Calendar
    -Contacts
    -Notes
    -Reminders
    -Maps
    -Music
    -iTunes Store
    -App Store
    -Newstand
    -iBooks
    -Game Center
    -Accessibility
    -Settings

About 1/3 of those I would consider bloat.

Windows 8:
    http://www.theverge.com/microsoft/2012/2/8/2784252/windows-8-consumer-preview-applications

-Internet Explorer 10 (has to be uninstallable as per EU ruling)
    -Camera
    -Messaging
    -Mail (supports hotmail, POP3, SMPT, etc.)
    -Calendar
    -SkyDrive (Microsoft's cloud)
    -People
    -Photos
    -Video
    -Music
    -Xbox Live (games)
    -Windows Store

I wouldn't consider any of those bloat.

Crunching for Team TPU
  16. mlee49

mlee49

Thanks Received:
    If you can't tell by now, FordGT90Concept works for Microsoft.

Kantastic says thanks.
  17. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    I do not.

Crunching for Team TPU
  18. 95Viper

95Viper

Thanks Received:
    Kantastic, you are a genius to thank a troll post!:rockout:
    Oh, and, how is the new job at Apple going?:laugh:

Irony, purecain and FordGT90Concept say thanks.
  19. Kantastic

Kantastic

Thanks Received:
    I can always appreciate good humor. :nutkick::roll::rockout::pimp::laugh::toast:;):):D:p

I wish I could get a job at the Apple store. Friendly customers, friendly coworkers, beautiful environment, convenient location, all the Apple goodies I can ever want, etc. Plus, it's either that or move to India and work for another brand. :D That's not the worst part, the worst part is my stomach can't handle the spices.

95Viper says thanks.
  20. bostonbuddy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Besides final cut apple software has been pretty horrendous imo, their os' are almost as bad as the one one on my kindle fire(there desktop os' not just ios)
    Apple or should I say Steve Jobs was just very good at figuring out what for factors people like for their computers and capitalizing on it.

21. trt740

trt740

Thanks Received:

I was talking about physical size not system tools that are needed.
    However, it looks to me like you cannot be objective here.

FordGT90Concept says thanks.
  22. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    Off topic, but if Ford has made up his mind nothing can nudge it. You should see the headbutting at generalnonsense. :laugh:

23. Chevalr1c

Chevalr1c

Thanks Received:
    Steady as a mountain, he certainly is (I am well-meaning here :)).

Crunching for Team TPU
  24. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    I did not know that's what you were referring to.

I think the principle reason why Windows installs are growing is because drivers are growing both in size and number. Also, it has many Windows-exclusive technologies pre-installed like the .NET Framework and DirectX. .NET Framework has the benefit of application size being smaller.

Case in point: just for the HID Keyboard driver, Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit includes drivers for the following manufacturers (one or more keyboards for each): Acer, ALPS, AT&T, BTC, Cherry GmbH, Chicony, Compaq, Focus, Forward, Fujitsu, Jing Mold, Key Tronic, Maxi Switch, Inc., Microsoft, Mitsumi, Monterey, NEC, NMB, Olivetti, Ortek, Philips, Qtronix, Samsung, Sejin, Silitek, Solid Year, STSL, SUH, SUPERGATE, Toshiba. Most of those I've never heard of and a lot of those I did, I didn't know they made keyboards.

In short, that extra space used, for the most part, to improve compatibility and to prevent asking to reinsert the Windows disk (Windows 9X did that a lot, it was annoying).

I only move to undeniable facts. :pimp:

Crunching for Team TPU
  25. trt740

trt740

Thanks Received:
    I am one fickle bastard. If Microsoft comes out with a better, and cheaper solution,heck Android for that matter, do not think I won't switch because I will. I do not believe in loyalty when it comes to tech. I like what's best and productive at the time. Money is also a great motivator to me. In my opinion, Apple tablets are the best but others are gaining ground. In this one case the money was worth it.