1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Why I'm now an Apple fan...

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Kantastic, Sep 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    they can afford to do that with the fact that they mark up their products 200% in the first place, and how poorly treated and underpaid their workers(read: outsourced workers) are.

i'm glad you're so satisfied with a product of what an alarmist might call slave labor.

2. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Sounds like you got standard warranty service dude.

Over here if your product is faulty you take it to the shop with your receipt and exchange just like you did.

It should be standard practice sounds like the stores you go to just have crappy returns policies.

heky and Benetanegia say thanks.
  3. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    Apple has improved in that area since the suicides.

Also, hate on everyone else as well. In the words of Primus: "Nowadays everything's made in Chiinnaaaaa."

digibucc, Aquinus and INSTG8R say thanks.
  4. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    No shit. People seem to conveniently forget it's FOXCONN, ffs.

5. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
    That still doesn't change the fact that Apple is buying cheap components and selling them super expensive...

heky says thanks.
  6. INSTG8R

INSTG8R

Thanks Received:
    Surely not actually questioning the quality of Apple products?:wtf: I'm no fanboy but Apple stuff is anything but cheap. My iPhone is a "tomb" of metal and glass. Mac's are "almost" art.(Okay I exaggerate:p) but they are anything but cheap...

7. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    all is see is the poor quality of apple products and that even the replacement offered wasnt upto standards. a total fail.

8. ThE_MaD_ShOt

ThE_MaD_ShOt

Thanks Received:
    My wifes I phone went dead (wouldn't charge) a few weeks ago. She had to make a appointment to got into the store to have it looked at /replaced. We got there and after about 2 hrs they came back and said they weren't going to cover it under warranty. Mind you this phone is only 2 weeks at the most old. They said there was water damage to the phone. Phone has never been near water. I asked them how they came to this conclusion. There response was that there are 3 moisture strips in the phone that detect water presence. The strip goes from whatever they said the default color ( i think it's white) was to red. Now the internal strips where fine, no damage. The so called tech said that there was a slight pinkish color to the strip on the charging port. It was not red but ever so slightly pink. I was like WTF. I just paid $400 for this phone for her and you are not going to cover it. I'd be damn. I told them that if a slight amount of water ever got near the port enough to ever so slightly change the strip color that the phone should of been able to handle that. As it is a phone it should not be that delicate and something needed to be done. I pulled out my phone which is some cheap Sanyo or something thats like 5 yrs old. I showed him mine and said this phone has been dropped in water, stepped on, beat on and sent to hell a couple times. Then I dialed my wife number and said look it still works. He then asked if we bought the extra insurance. I said we did and he walked away and came back with a new phone and asked her to step to the counter so they could set it up. My wife and I have both said that that would be the last Apple product to ever come in to the house. When she is up for upgrade that phone is gone.

heky and de.das.dude say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  9. m1dg3t

m1dg3t

Thanks Received:
    In Portugese, IIRC, A P P L E means (loosely translated of course) "He pisses over there" :laugh:

Well seems like they been pissing on us instead.

de.das.dude says thanks.
  10. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    Yes they are anything but cheap. Thats why the Iphone shatters when it doesn't have a case on it from a 2ft fall. You shouldn't need top buy a case for a $200+ phone. And your phone is a tomb of brittle plastic and weak glass with bad assembly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elKxgsrJFhw

this is exactly what I am talking about.

heky says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  11. m1dg3t

m1dg3t

Thanks Received:
    Bitch please! I used to jack MoFos with my Motorolla brick :cool:

1 Smack over the head was all it took :) Even better than gun butting someone if you ask me :eek:

:rolleyes:

MxPhenom 216 says thanks.
  12. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    I've had to travel to the Apple Store two times to have an iPhone 4 and iPod touch replaced (both belong to my better half, not my devices).

I'll agree that they replaced the devices with little to no issue, but the appointment requirement is ridiculous. The first time I went without an appointment was similar to going to the ER @ 2AM. You wait for hours in a room filled with people you would really not rather be around annoyed to death hoping you get out of there quick and none of the other people bother you :D

erixx says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  13. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    Did anyone read the gizmodo article a few days ago when they got ahold of a genius training manual? They aren't nice because they are nice people.

http://m.gizmodo.com/5938323/how-to-be-a-genius-this-is-apples-secret-employee-training-manual

14. INSTG8R

INSTG8R

Thanks Received:
    LoL Mad_Shot

That reminded of my iPhone 3G Actually I "drowned" a week after I got it. I work in the Oil Industry in the machining of parts. Parts that aren't stainless or can rust get "cooked" in a huge tank full of Phosphates that "Rustproofs" them(Shiny Steel is now Black)

We had drained the tank for cleaning and I leaned into it and my iPhone fell out of my pocket right into the water at the bottom(was not fully drained) It went for a serious swim. I fished it out, blew as much water off as I could with compressed air. Never had a single hiccup out of it. Ran for another 2yrs and I sold it at a great price too boot :roll:

@MxPhenom 216:

I just have a thin rubber case around mine. Can almost see thru it. I have dropped it a few times(I mean does ANYONE not try to take care of their phone no matter who makes it?:rolleyes:)
    I have never been met with more than a heavy thud. I have probably now cursed myself and I will shatter it tomorrow...:shadedshu

Last edited: Sep 1, 2012
    m1dg3t says thanks.
  15. Frick

Thanks Received:
    If you listeb it's the other way round. The iphone produces a "thud", the Galaxy sounds like a remote. And imo it's the othwr way round, you want to protect a more expensive thing.

16. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    You know, weather I got an Android-based phone or an iPhone, I would get a case for it either way because I like to protect my investments. :wtf:

Frick, m1dg3t and INSTG8R say thanks.
  17. INSTG8R

INSTG8R

Thanks Received:
    Exactly. Droid vs Apple War aside your gonna take care of it.:toast:
    Mine has the "full body" Screen Protector on it too(I'll ya that was fun to put on :twitch:)

m1dg3t says thanks.
  18. ThE_MaD_ShOt

ThE_MaD_ShOt

Thanks Received:

The experience of going to the Apple store alone was enough for me not wanting any of there products. When my wife bought the phone, she went into our wireless phone provider store to purchase it. I can not stand being in a crowed store at all. It freaks me the hell out being shoulder to shoulder with everybody. For most of the visit to the store I standed outside and until she came out and said she was having trouble with them replacing/ repairing the phone. After the guy came back with the new phone and said they normally wouldn't replace it but would this time I went back outside. I like the fact that if I have a problem with my phone I can go into the wireless store where I got it and get service.

Crunching for Team TPU
  19. m1dg3t

m1dg3t

Thanks Received:
    Rocking a Ballistic "combo" case on mi SG2....

Have dropped the phone, thrown the phone, kicked the phone and of course I've even sat on it. Still like new! Strangely I go through a lot of screen protectors? Haven't sent it for a swim yet, did that to my HTC TP2 & it only survived 4/5 months after that :(

ProTip: For water damage: Place unpowered/un-batteried phone in a cup/jar full of rice. Make sure phone is completely covered, allow to sit for 24/48 hours. Majority of moisture will wick out :) And if lucky phone will live as normal. Of course other variables come into play but it's basically free to try :eek:

20. Morgoth

Morgoth

Thanks Received:
    only quality items in Apple products are the Intel Processors
    every thing else is garbage

heky says thanks.
  21. Frick

Thanks Received:
    A friend of mine spilled some superglue on his Galaxy S (still not sure how he managed that, but he's that kind of person), then he was glad he had the screen film. :)

Care to elaborate? So far the thread has been fairly civilized, it would be nice if that would continue. Even I have not flipped yet. :)

22. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    Doesn't matter what it sounds like when you have a phone with a shattered screen afterwards.

Crunching for Team TPU
  23. INSTG8R

INSTG8R

Thanks Received:
    Well I drowned my week old 3G so we can all have our moments. I went for the "full wrap" on my 4 so I should be pretty safe against any "Glue Incidents" :laugh:

24. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    Appointments suddenly make sense. They need a large window of time, without interruption, to take customers through all the phases of their routine. Before seeing that link, I thought Apple just needed a lashing by an anti-trust probe. After seeing that, there's no company on Earth I dispise more than Apple. They're conducting psychological warfare, secretly in their stores. This is shit the CIA was researching in the 60s and 70s (less the LSD) applied to profits.

Edit: This is sickening.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2012
    heky and Solaris17 say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  25. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    Haven't read the entire thread as there's a ton of big posts. But I do have a few things to say. First off, I would expect this customer service from any company. Worst case scenario with these kind of things is the 1st return takes a while. But if you have to return something a 2nd time, they get pretty damn snappy since they have botched two things and people can start getting angry and file with the BBB. On the third return, they won't even usually question you, simply because you have already had so many issues even risking making you irate is not a good idea.

Secondly, I haven't ever had to return anything 3 times, and if I did, I would be less than happy, even if their customer support was amazing, I would be pretty damn pissed. Running to and from their store, waiting in line, to fix a product that has had numerous defaults, but they had good customer service. Fuck the customer service, I like it and all, but I prefer things that don't break.

heky and MxPhenom 216 say thanks.