1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Why I'm now an Apple fan...

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Kantastic, Sep 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OneMoar

OneMoar

Thanks Received:
    uhh pretty much anything with a nvida tegra 2/3 chip or cortex A8 will run circles around it
    and the retina display inst anything impressive its just a panel with a high pixel-per inch(PPI) ratio [the ipad 3 has a ppi of (264)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_displays_by_pixel_density
    heky says thanks.
  2. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    Also...

"In the case of Apple, outsourcing manufacturing is not about keeping costs to customers down – they are still paying huge prices for the latest handset or tablet computer. Nor is it about the company's survival: it would still do tremendously well were it to bring those factories back home. No, in the case of Apple, moving jobs offshore has become a way of directing ever more money to those at the top of American society."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2012/apr/23/bad-apple-employ-more-us-workers
    heky says thanks.
  3. Kantastic

Kantastic

Thanks Received:
    You're criticizing Apple based on their business ethics, yet you support every other company that does the same thing. They're on top of a pile of shit, but they're still on top.

What does Asus charge for their TF700T? Probably less than half of what an iPad costs right? Oh wait, they want $500 for it. Hmm... that price seems to ring a bell...

Nothing special? Okay then. Great job completely ignoring my question by the way. :thumbsup:
  4. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    1) You can't really compare Android and iOS directly in terms of performance.
    2) Whut? Nothing impressive? It's the one thing that DOES make it impressive. :confused:
  5. n-ster

Thanks Received:
    stop trying to compare the unique Ipad 3rd Gen to anything. It's UNIQUE

It is special,noone else has anything like it.

That said I still think Apple products aren't worth it... a ripoff, and my personal opinion is Apple is shit, well kinda. Only exception is maybe actually the iPad 3rd Gen (base config) in the certain circumstance that you need a high res tablet and you can use it. If you are a photographer or something like that, and you can take advantage of that screen, it's awesome. If you are using it as an e-reader or just like another tablet, perhaps not. Also, if you know you are paying for the screen and brand name and you buy it just to enjoy your eyes and show off, knowing that there are other much better tablets at a lower cost and much more functionality and power but a less good screen then that's a personal choice I HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH. Hell I could see myself doing that even with a freaking 2000$ MBP Retina or iPad 3rd Gen if I had the money to waste

Imagine showing your portfolio as a photographer on the retina display? the high res can actually be used. Or just showing off pictures to friends :p

One thing you can't ignore is that they pushed higher res on phones (and on PCs kinda) and now they are following suit on tablets and laptops. Love them for that as they kind of force the competition to eventually follow suit, and once they do I'll buy from the competition.

One thing I don't like are that people are TOO rosy with Apple. Yea, they aren't the shittiest and they do try to innovate a little, but eventually, once the competition catches up, it's miles better
    MxPhenom 216 says thanks.
  6. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    You keep putting words in my mouth. Not once did I give my support for any other company. Yes I'm criticizing apple and you for the reasons you praise them.
    And I do regret purchasing this card, I was young and naive when I bought it. Live and learn...
  7. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    Systemax are made in the USA (Fletcher, OH, unless it is a rugged model then they are built in Fremont, CA). I only buy laptops anymore (build desktops, HTPCs, and servers) and every single one I bought (two and acounting) were Systemax.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  8. Frick

Thanks Received:
    Just how much those are made in the US? Are they just assembled there or do they make cards etc as well?
  9. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    Obviously, most computer components (CPUs, memory, video cards, chips, motherboards) are built outside the USA (mostly Taiwan, China, Malaysia, and Singapore). I do believe the cases are made in the USA (only component that really can be). They are assembled, supported, and repaired in the USA.
    Frick says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  10. Frick

Thanks Received:
    Actually the high resolution is great for reading to, or any content. More detailed text, less eyestrain. As a commenter saidwhere (it sound cheesy but i agree): you come much closer to the content.
  11. purecain

purecain

Thanks Received:
    Wow... Im going to refrain from getting stuck into the point of this thread as i'd surely be banned from a great forum.

please can we get a mod in to delete this crap.

Its a blatent attempt to troll the forum.

Ive been building pc's for +15yrs and apple just get worse and worse.

Imo we should ban anyone who starts an i love apple thread. lol ok thats a bit harsh....

apple are fine if you dont mind wasting money as you will be charged a premium in most cases for a shiney white box and obselete hardware...

looks like their customer service has been exemplary in this case and for that i am pleased for Kantastic...
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2012
    heky says thanks.
  12. Kantastic

Kantastic

Thanks Received:
    We should also ban every single user who has also started "I hate company X and Y because they screwed me on my RMA" threads too. Those guys are all blatant trolls since you don't share their opinion.

GASP! YOU BUY ASIAN-MADE LAPTOP COMPONENTS? BLASPHEMY! BLASPHEMY I SAY!!!
  13. Super XP

Super XP

Thanks Received:
    Apple = Overpriced Products that greatly lack quality all inside a pretty shell to manipulate the unexpected consumer's. Apple can pound dirt as far as I am concerned.
    heky says thanks.
  14. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    I've never personally had an issue with any of the Macs I've managed for work. The only time Apple has failed me is when the end user is an idiot and does something stupid. Like drop it or spill a drink on (in) it. I've had many fewer issues with Apple than any other manufacturer. Pardon me for saying this, but there is a lot more hate for Apple than what is actually warranted. If you don't like the price, then don't buy it, but unless you've owned an Apple laptop (recently) don't go bashing their laptops because I find that my MBA is just as responsive as my skt2011 desktop. It might not have the same graphic capability but it does everything (with the exception of games,) just as well as my tower.

So I don't know about the rest of you, but I've been happy with the last two Apple laptops I've used for work in the last couple years.
    Frick says thanks.
  15. purecain

purecain

Thanks Received:
    hmm let me see, tech community forum....

tech community gets consistantly ripped off by apple....

someone posts how good apple are.... 0_o

the only thing apple are good at is marketing...! they just sold you 3 defective devices and you still couldnt contain yourself...

you just had to post it here....jing digga dinga dinga ding...

obviously im not saying dont do it or you cant do it... just that its a little trollish...

thats all...

oh and never lose your sense of humor...:)
    heky says thanks.
  16. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    No sir, you can only be ripped off by Apple if you choose to buy their products. I believe the majority of the tech community avoids Apple like a plague, immune from getting ripped off. Those who brave the waters and get Apple usually find them reasonably satisfactory, indeed even similar to "non Apple" goods. However, these pioneers are almost universally subjected to humiliating punishments by the rather xenophobic tech community. Castigated by the said community, these adventurers left the community for good, giving the most zealous preachers space to preach their poison.

Now only trolls populate the once great forum, shutting out other opinions with communist efficiency.
    Kantastic, erixx and Frick say thanks.
  17. Frick

Thanks Received:
    Sigh, I'm actually pretty proud of this thread. Apart from a few zings here and there the discussion is surprisingly level. :)
  18. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    This thread was started about customer service.
    No more, no less.
    Not about value, not about quality ... just customer service.

The only trolling going on is those who are trying to turn it into a "I hate Apple" thread.

Keep it on the topic of customer service or GTFO.
    Kantastic, purecain and Fourstaff say thanks.
  19. erixx

erixx

Thanks Received:
    heky and FordGT90Concept say thanks.
  20. Fourstaff

Thanks Received:
    How is iTunes mandatory? I have never touched iTunes on Macs, and only use it to upload music to my iPod :confused:
  21. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    Apples products are assembled in China, and you can tell because the quality of how its all built is poopy. Not to mention they treat the people who are building their products and supplying them the components(Samsung) like shit.
  22. Kantastic

Kantastic

Thanks Received:
    You sir, are the best troll. You're a closet Apple fan but you can't seem to bring yourself to admit the reality of who you are. It's okay, cases like yours are why cases like mine exist. I speak on your behalf so you can continue your facade of ignorance in order to fit in with the majority of the forum. :toast:

Excuse my French, but this is a fucking joke right? I would be laughing on the floor right now if I didn't think you were actually serious. You honestly believe, in your tiny little world where Apple is the embodiment Satan and every other company are glowing angels with halos, that the Apple-Samsung relationship is strictly one-sided, and that Samsung is forced to do business with Apple by some holy spiritual voodoo Satanic magic? :roll:

Have you read the ToS for Google Play?
  23. Depth

Thanks Received:
    So why does everyone get sued over it?
  24. Fourstaff

Thanks Received:
    Who?
  25. WhiteLotus

WhiteLotus

Thanks Received:
    Because god forbid that apple compete!