1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Why I'm now an Apple fan...

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Kantastic, Sep 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kantastic

Kantastic

Thanks Received:
    That's funny, because I just picked up a Nexus 7 at Staples for my dad (he was fascinated with my iPad ;)) and there's a pretty bad area of backlight leakage on the bottom-left area. Because it's not for my personal use, I'm not going to bother exchanging it for a new one. Should I boycott Google and Asus as brands now?

To the skeptics that want proof, let me know and a picture will come your way.

$800? EIGHT HUNDRED? EIGHT ZERO ZERO? US DOLLARS? LOL WHERE IS THE OVERSIZED BANGHEAD EMOTICON WHEN I NEED IT???

I get it now, I really do. Apple haters are going to hate regardless. Screw the facts, lets just pull shit out of our asses and go with it.

$800 LOL

2. m1dg3t

m1dg3t

Thanks Received:
    64GB is $719 + tax right now so, yeah... Lol

MailMan I'll get to you later :)

MxPhenom 216 says thanks.
  3. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    I never said other companies were any better. I said I will not buy apple products because I feel for the money I can get a better product from other companies. Same way as I will never buy XFX, EVGA or Foxconn branded motherboards ever again. I have zero faith in them.

You also are not on your third Nexus 7 bragging about staples in a thread now are you?

heky and purecain say thanks.
  4. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Sounds like they are not fixing the shit to well.

Well as long as he's happy who cares really :)..

5. Irony

Irony

Thanks Received:
    Umm, its kind of like this: either you worship at steve jobs' mosoleum/shrine or you urinate on it and shoot ipads with a shotgun. Youre pretty much on one side or the other. I hope you can tell where I stand

Crunching for Team TPU
  6. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    Ok the misinformation and stupidity is now quite staggering. In b4 lock?

7. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

brandonwh64 and purecain say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  8. SnoopKatt

SnoopKatt

Thanks Received:
    Online I read bad things about Apple's customer service, but just about every single person I talked to physically has been happy. Interesting phenomenon.

I'm not a big fan of Apple, and after that lawsuit over the patents, I will probably never buy an Apple product, unless it is absolutely necessary for work. Let's face it though: Apple probably has better customer service than almost any other electronics provider, and for some people, that justifies the high price. Newegg is now infamous for the bent motherboard pin scam (on most forums at least), Fry's is a joke (don't get me started on my camera story), Best Buy is good, but after 30 days you're on your own, and that's the same with just about any other retailer. For some people, the extra money is worth the peace of mind. Not me though :p

9. purecain

purecain

Thanks Received:
    @Kantastic....

woooo there horsy... this isnt in any way personal, its quite interesting...

i read the other day about apple customer service being trained to use special words and to avoid others...

so as to imprint an impression of quality and good value on potential consumers...

buisness insider picked up on it... http://www.businessinsider.com/how-apple-trains-store-employees-2012-6

as did buisness pundit http://www.businesspundit.com/5-giant-companies-who-brainwash-their-employees/

the leaked apple manual is online and its all there... read this... http://www.itworld.com/it-managemen...g-apple-manual-sales-training-or-brainwashing

i just want to say to kantastic that in no way did i want to offend him, probably shouldnt of used the word troll... so chill... this is a community and its important we get somewhere with this topic...

im interested to hear your oppinion on the above manual... do you not think it has affected you. you have been in contact with this customer service...did it work...???

i think it did... hay ho...

Last edited: Sep 4, 2012
    heky says thanks.
  10. Kantastic

Kantastic

Thanks Received:
    From your own link:

This is the kind of stuff you learn in any customer service course. I can't see what's so GENIUS about it. Arrogant pricks!!
    dimo09 on businessinsider.com

Yep this sounds like the typical corp made bullshit training manuals pretty much every service industry job uses. I swear these things are written by suits who live in the land of make believe
    Befitzero on gizmodo.com

The whitewashing of terms is actually a pretty common occurrence. I worked for HP for a while and we do not have bugs. There are no bugs, there are no defects, instead there are observations and issues.
    janson0 on gizmodo.com

Do you honestly think the people that fawn all over you at those high-end boutiques really care about you when they go home at night? Of course not. But at least while you're there, they treat you like an honored guest. No different here.
    Roger on businessinsider.com

In my personal experience I can tell you I would rather work for a company that cares about their customers experiences with their Customer Service/Sales/Support staff than say a company like Comcast
    coolscreennamepending on gizmodo.com

one thing I've noticed is apple staff will approach and immediately engage in conversation about a product you are looking at. Far more likely to gain a positive response on my part than every other store where some numpty just goes "can I help?
    Anonymous Coward on theregister.co.uk

I have guys telling me I bought an $800 piece of plastic :roll:

Again, why don't you seem to be able to read? I'm not exchanging it because it's not for my own personal use. I'm nitpicky when it comes to my own gadgets, but I know it won't make an ounce of difference for my dad.

To add to the hilarity, the Nexus 7 has been plagued with backlight issues, pixel issues, and screen lifting issues, yet it's OOS everywhere. I just can't win with the ignorant can I?

11. Frick

Thanks Received:
    We've been over this already, it's how the bussiness works. Support, sales and all that. No news here.

12. johnspack

johnspack

Thanks Received:
    Still don't know why anyone gets it... get a nice fast i7, install freebsd on it... bam you got apple. Why would I want a version of bsd that actually has a virus written for it? First linux to get a virus. Wow.....

13. Frick

Thanks Received:
    http://stason.org/TULARC/os/linux.virus.html

And no. You might as well say, install NT5 and bam you got Vista.

14. johnspack

johnspack

Thanks Received:
    Oh okay, that was a bit severe. But still, why not just a free version of linux? Why pay for it, and bootcamp? Silly.

15. Frick

Thanks Received:
    You don't pay a whole lot. I think all of their stuff, including Server (or whatever the equivalent is) is below $40 iirc.

16. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    There's industry standard and then there's Apple. I can't name any other store that puts potential retail employees through a mandatory two week training regime on interaction.

Yes, as Kreij said, some people that close major deals may use the same tactics but these are things they often learned themselves or from others in the trade, not from corporate heads pressing it on them.

Crunching for Team TPU
  17. Frick

Thanks Received:
    How about tech support and call centers? They do it, at least the "good" ones.

18. erixx

erixx

Thanks Received:
    Because it are furniture and household items, in nice soft white (or black) combining colors, does your mamma "configure" or "format" in her kitchen? :)

Note: it may sound irony but it is actually their own PR policy: no more windows BSOD, no reinstalls, just turn it on and use it lady!

19. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    That's only for updates (which Microsoft would offer for free in the form of Service Packs). They don't sell complete operating systems that can be installed on any computer like Windows.

No tech support I talked to tried to blatantly defend their product(s) like the Apple bible orders employees to do. All tech support I've ever talked to are solution oriented: "what is your problem" and "this is the policy of the company in dealing with your problem." I've had many tech support reps sympathize with my situation which is forbidden in the Apple bible.

heky says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  20. DannibusX

DannibusX

Thanks Received:
    I'm not going to delve any deeper than the first few comments in this thread, because I predict debauchery within.

I have 2 iPods, a second gen and a third gen and they're fantastic, never had a problem whatsoever. I've had them for years and I love them, plain and simple.

I'm also very pleased to hear that Apple's customer service has been top notch for you, that's one of the biggest selling points for products in my mind. I'm pretty shocked that you got 3 defective products in a row from Apple though, Apple's pretty well known for releasing top-notch high quality stuff and I'd be pissed for receiving 3 devices in a row that were defective, regardless of the excellent customer service.

To each his own though, I'm sure there's a lot of hate for Apple in this thread. I'm not exactly a hater, but I own a patent-infringing, ban-requested Samsung Galaxy S2 and it's one of the greatest pieces of hardware I have ever purchased. I hate the amount of litigation there is in the industry, and I won't be buying Apple products in the future because of it. If I have to "upgrade" to a Nokia Skullcrusher then so be it.

Hope your newest iPad works out for you!

21. HTC

HTC

Thanks Received:
    I've seen this in IMDB a few days ago. Personally, i'm stunned: i had no idea it was like this and am surprised people even buy itunes knowing the tunes revert to apple when they die.

This means people don't buy the itunes: they just rent it for as long as they live. How on earth do people even put up with this kind of crap?

22. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    You will have to ask the entertainment industry for an answer. Its the same for almost all online distributors, from Steam to Amazon.

FordGT90Concept says thanks.
  23. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    If the question is DRM, the inevitable answer is RIAA (music) and/or MPAA (video).

Apple was the first major publisher to negotiate a deal with the RIAA to allow them to distribute digital music. RIAA, and competitors, saw the money in it and quickly opened the door to others like Walmart, Amazon, and Microsoft (via Zune Marketplace). Some, like Walmart and Amazon, were selling DRM-free downloads and Apple started losing business. Apple switched to DRM-free downloads in order to compete.

Recently, the RIAA has been pushing updated licenses which require device authorizations even for DRM-free downloads. It's not as effective as what iTunes started out with but the RIAA is still trying to take ownership of all digital music through licensing instead of DRM. It has already impacted Amazon and, if it hasn't yet, it soon will impact the rest of them.

Anyway...that's off topic.

Crunching for Team TPU
  24. phanbuey

phanbuey

Thanks Received:
    I think that the people here that say apple products are low quality have never owned one.

The software and DRM issues are another issue. All companies have their issues and any company the size of apple that sells anything is in the same boat.

But at least with apple you do get what you pay for. The quality of the hardware and support is top notch, as is the resale value - once you are done with whatever product you bought you can resell it for wayyy higher than a competing product.

25. erixx

erixx

Thanks Received:
    Good point (resell value)... A friend of mine only buys used Apple bargains...

Now, in all fairness, Mrs. Willis denied today that her husband will take legal actions.... We will see...

Finally, found this one, would be a perfect end to this big mac thread... :cool:

http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/382781/business-casual-g-men