1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Why is PC gaming not as big as it once was?

Discussion in 'Games' started by El_Mayo, Aug 5, 2011.

1. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Don't fret Jr. jacob is a troll and has been here many times before. Report such people so we can take care of them quickly. :toast:

Back on topic please. :)

2. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    Oh it's not a problem. Me and him get along we have been PM'ing back and forth for the past week just chit chatting. You know me, I don't get mad or anything.

You got it! I'm a platform & RPG gamer(i.e. SMB, Donkey Kong Country, Zelda) unless it's a shooter that catches my interest.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2011
  3. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    I quoted you and responded about PC gamers solely, not just people who play a few games on PC, there is a difference. Much like I own a console, but don't consider myself a console gamer. True PC gamers aren't going to put their computer in the closet and rush out to pick up the newest console, probably because these people will have the hardware to run the games, and will want to see them for their true eye candy. Eye candy is what PC gaming is all about (why I don't think PC gaming is dying) and the people who have the hardware to play games maxed will want to still do so. Either way, like said BF3 and almost any other game out there will look better on Medium settings vs the console counterparts.

Jr didn't say the game looked bad because of the videos. He said even with the low quality it still looked good, but yet he probably wouldn't be interested. And I would assume thats more on his taste of games rather than the graphics of the title.

JrRacinFan says thanks.
  4. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    I have a question. why do you think people choose LCD over CRT or Plasma?

5. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    I chose to move to LCD simply for the field of view. Don't own plasma because small format plasma isn't very common. And I have owned many LCD, I know people complain about panel types, not even sure what mine are, but been happy with all of their color, some people are pickier than others though. Also for screen space, I use photoshop and illustrator a lot, it's hard to fit tool panels and images on one 4:3 screen.

Also I actually preferred my old 16:10 setup to my new 16:9, but sadly since "1080p" is all the craze all computer monitors are making the switch as well :(

Ray_Rogers2109 and BumbleBee say thanks.
  6. Ray_Rogers2109

Ray_Rogers2109 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Makes me wish flat panel 16:9 monitors supported 2K, 3K and 4K resolution. Or 23" or so sizes which are 2560x1600 should be the norm instead of 1080p.
    At least my CRT 1280x1024 is much better compared to my flat screen 20" 480i TV. But I'll also be watching HD DVDs and Blu-rays on this computer anyway. The GPU I'm buying supports 2560x1600 and makes me wish there were monitors available in this resolution with HDMI at 23" or so. As I mentioned in another thread, XPadder is great but keyboard and mouse is fine too. Except for my keyboard which is P/S2 and the keys are too slim.
    But the monitor I'll be buying will be LCD/IPS hybrid again for movies too on it. Similar to Kurgan, one of my favourite films which I own the UK Blu-ray, I'll also be doing Photoshop and Illustrator on it.

7. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    I was trying to make a point that graphics don't mean everything but nevermind :laugh:

1Kurgan1 says thanks.
  8. Ray_Rogers2109

Thanks Received:
    Well it's the resolutions which matter. Why should the PC gamer community be limited to 1080p when maximising for a title?:confused:
    Agree with you too. I still play games which I've owned since the mid-1990's and the early 2000's quite often. Sure many of them haven't aged very well, early polygonal titles, but a lot of them are still great to play.

9. El_Mayo

El_Mayo

Thanks Received:
    I can't even remember the last post I made now

But yeah, I'm currently writing about how PC gaming has modding over console gaming

10. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    does it?

Carmack said at Quakecon '11 the modding community isn't the same. not many developers release mod tools and if you have the talent why not create a game and sell it on the Apple store or Microsoft XBOX Live indie channel.

11. streetfighter 2

streetfighter 2 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Depends how you define mods . . .

Not a lot stopping people from building their own modding toolkits, as they often do, or using any number of publicly available game engines.

AFAIK Carmack does not recognize professional hobbyists and free, as in beer. (Nevermind, I was thinking of someone else.)

Last edited: Sep 11, 2011
    BumbleBee says thanks.
  12. Ray_Rogers2109

Thanks Received:
    I'd much rather buy a game retail instead of online distribution. But if I did make a title I'd distribute it through Steam and other online distribution sites. Of course it won't be available for Apple.
    At least Carmack releases the code for tons of the titles he's worked on. If I ever had my dream company as a reality, I'd certainly have mod tools for the majority of titles and even suggest mods from myself and my employees. Only as a Pipe Dream, which of course made me play it again due to BioShock.

13. erixx

erixx

Thanks Received:
    of course he is ALL IRONY (in the classical sense, that is teaching us with the help of absurd and contradiction)

No need to worry or sell our PC hahahahaha

14. ctrain New Member

Thanks Received:
    VG chartz, which I'm guessing is what you used, isn't accurate for PC numbers

it's been said a million times before and even by a BF3 dev.

15. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    3 days ago EA announced 1.25 million Battlefield 3 pre-orders.

548,517 (X360), 243,595 (PS3).

16. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    In my opinion, making the tools the devs used for game creation available to the modding community is the single biggest factor in the longevity of games today.
    The cost to the developer to create the tools could be quite a lot, but should easily be able to made up for in continued sales over a longer period of time because of the publicity the outstanding mods bring to the game over an extended period of time.

There are still active communities for NWN, Morrowind, Oblivion, etc. These games are years old and if the modders were not around to keep them alive they would have faded into oblivion (no pun intended) a long time ago.

The only down side is if the mod community comes out with better mods than the DLC you still haven't release. That, however, in not the modders' fault. ;')

1Kurgan1, El_Mayo and Ray_Rogers2109 say thanks.
  17. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Developers don't release the mod tools or SDK for the simple fact it will cut into their DLC cake.

El_Mayo says thanks.
  18. Shihabyooo

Shihabyooo

Thanks Received:
    Well, it's a no-brainer that there are more gamers on consoles than there are on PC. However which of these 2 groups are more serious about gaming ? That's another question.

19. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    AMEN TO THAT.

some of my fondest memories of games like CoD:UO, CoD2, CoD:Mw was the mods and custom maps running on the servers.

I after MW1 was released, I didnt sleep for 2weeks because i was constantly playing it. after that initial 2 weeks i dropped the game entirely because I just got sick of stock maps. I even stopped joining in with my clan and doing scrims because I just couldnt stand the sight or thought of playing on a map that ive spent the last 24hrs marathoning.

then custom mods, maps and weapons came in, and i found a server that was dedicated to running custom maps and they had some greatest maps ever! they even modded the killstreak artillery strike into a massive meteor shower then later on a massive laser cannon which was just hilarious. It totally re-new'd my love for the game and i carried on playing it until World at war was released.

------

Im guessing Activision just dislikes that the community can come up with better content then they can so they deliberately lock us out of the game then charge us $10 for a shoddy map pack thats 80% made up of rehashed material albeit with a reskin and a few minor tweaks and changes here and there.

So in a sense the community is being punished for being too successful in their endeavour to make a game a better game.

devs shouldnt think negatively of modders and should show a huge interested and excitement about what sort of direction that community can take their game in and what cool things they can bring to the game. Devs should challenge the modding community instead of punishing us.

Most modders i know of just modded maps as a hobby and have no indepth or prior knowledge of making stuff with dev tools. unlike most of the dev team who are probably educated to quite a high degree in what their doing

but hey, If we dont get bored of their games within a year. no-ones gonna wanna buy the next edition right??? (Im refering to Activision knocking out 1 Cod game every year)

Ray_Rogers2109 says thanks.
  20. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    can I jump out of this reality like inception? bwonggggg

maybe the pre-orders for PC would be higher if EA wasn't such a dick about Origin.

21. spykerhond New Member

Thanks Received:
    Tear your hearts out but lan without the internet is the main problem . ping is crap in some countries so they lan to forget. kill the lan in the new games and you take a knock off the market as people pirate to make up for the loss...

22. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    So thats 457,888 PC pre-orders. More then the PS3 and close to the Xbox. Yeah PC gaming sure is dead. :rolleyes: Also once people see how shitty BF3 will be for the consoles compared to the PC I expect the sales to jump.

23. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I mentioned that in the last sentence of my post above yours.
    The truth is that it does not have to if the devleopers release DLC that is original, well done and worthy of the price they decide to charge for it.

The devs are at an advantage when it comes to new content as they have every single resource availalbe to them and also a gauranteed team of people working on it every day, as well as people who are initmately familiar with the SDK and tools (or should be).

The disadvantage that the devs have is that they have to conform to the requirements demanded of them and fit it into a timeframe for release. The modders do not have these restrictions. Many times I hear people say, "The mod community did better.". That may be true, but they are on their own timetable and agenda and can hold back the release of a mod for as long as they like to make sure it's near perfect.

I'm not defending or disapproving of any dev or mod group, just remining everyone that the playing field is not always level. :toast:

24. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    jacob90 made this thread hilarious for a while there.

25. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
    People who buy it for Consoles are people who generally assume they need a super high end PC to run it, so they probably wouldn't move over to the PC version. They'd probably just sell the game.