1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Why isn't Desktop memory the same size as Laptop memory?

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by a_ump, Jul 20, 2014.

1. a_ump

a_ump

Thanks Received:
    So i was contemplating this and decided to google and just found link after link of the different memory speeds, progress over the years, etc.

But seriously why isn't desktop memory the same size as laptop memory? Surely it would reduce costs as there's about 56% less PCB in laptop DIMM's, and their speeds are almost as fast as desktop and if there was only one standard instead of two, i'm sure that collective R&D could make laptop sized DIMM's reach desktop DIMM's speeds. One standard instead of two manufacturing lines would cut costs as well i'm sure.

Sooo, why isn't desktop memory the same size as laptop memory?

2. OneMoar

OneMoar

Thanks Received:
    this is easy
    capacity and price it costs more to get the same capacity per ram chip in SODIMM package then it does it a regular DIMM because SODIMS often use higher density ram modules and smaller components to account for the lack of real estate

rtwjunkie says thanks.
  3. srsparky32

srsparky32

Thanks Received:
    so you think that a corsair dominiator platinum can be shrunk down to laptop memory size?

seriously hope

4. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:

You can buy desktop boards that use SO-DIMM memory, usually mini ITX.

as others have said, it comes down to density: its cheaper to make a bigger stick with more modules, than it is to cram on more, higher capacity modules.

5. a_ump

a_ump

Thanks Received:
    Didn't think about that point. Still that only covers what's currently the case. I was also thinking that with time, if they ditched the desktop size, that memory module size and speeds would catch up quickly with the performance of what desktop's can be. But I see your point.