1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Why not optical?

Discussion in 'Storage' started by johnspack, Mar 22, 2012.

1. johnspack

johnspack

Thanks Received:
    Hard drives do not cost the same, are you high? I have dozens of TBs backed up now, over the years, but many TBs just recently. It would cost me 1000s for hds. I don't think you have any idea how much data I actually have. I can still read even the first cds I burned 12 years ago. Every hd I've had in that time has died. You keep your optical disks in a spindle, and in a dark place like a closet. I haven't had a single failure with 100s of optical disks. I've already backed up 30 blurays since I bought this new drive, it friggin rocks! I suspect I will be able to read these discs 10 years from now no problem, long after the hds I got the data from died. I've thrown out dozens of hard drives, I haven't thrown out a single optical disk I've burned in 20 years. (Yes, remember 1x burning under dos?) Yes, the dye can degrade... boohoo... over time you should be condensing your collection to new media.. constantly refreshing it. I started with cds, reburned to dvds, reburned to dl-dvds, and now reburning to bluray. Static backup to mechanical hd, no dam way, sorry, not safe.

2. slyfox2151

slyfox2151

Thanks Received:
    Im sorry but your full of Sh*t.

cheaper then HDDs? No.
    HDDs are faster.
    HDDs are safer.
    Less space is taken up with HDDs.
    HDDs are falling rapidly in price again. (price hike due to floods in thailand)
    If your drives are failing that fast your doing it wrong.

You claim you would have spent 1000s on HDDs if you had of use'd them instead, so does that mean you have spent 10s of 1000s on discs that you thrown out as they are now useless?
    You can just overwrite the files with HDDs.

Speed + Security + Reduced file size + reliability are the biggest benefits going with HDDs.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
  3. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    Optical media does not last forever. No physical drive or media is fool proof. Upload to multipal servers is the only way. You need to check you 12 year old media again

Besides if it was best practice to back up on BD then the industry would be using this method. And there not

4. xBruce88x

xBruce88x

Thanks Received:
    want a solid backup? try this

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822501018&Tpk=iosafe

so you paid $135CAD for 1TB that can go up in smoke/ruined by water? for less than that per TB you get 2TB that's fireproof (30min) and waterproof (under 10ft water for 3 days), not to mention a lot faster to transfer your data. I'm sure you'd rather spend time programming the flight sim than waiting for discs to burn. I've done a little math, and at 480Mbps USB2.0 (best case i know...) you can transfer 2TB in under 12.5hrs. Another thing, although not as likely, the more discs you burn with that burner, the sooner it will fail and the sooner you will have to replace the drive for another $85CAD. Heck, there's even a chance that the drive will fail before your finished with all your blank discs! Trust me, I know what its like to buy on a budget, that's why when i get stuff I look in the long term, and a fireproof 2TB drive seems pretty long term compared to optical media. Also, you can power down the unit when its not being used, saving on your power bill (even if its very very little). some other things to consider, they offer

"1-YEAR DATA RECOVERY SERVICE
    The ioSafe Data Recovery Service (DRS) provides data recovery, free replacement of comparable ioSafe unit loaded with recovered data together, loss compensation and follow up support. (Subject to ioSafe’s terms and conditions. Please Visit ioSafe website for more information.)"

Also, it probably takes up less space than all those jewel cases laying around. Did I mention it can be locked and bolted to the floor so it can't be easily stolen?

Also, one last question... I know there's an NDA so I don't expected a detailed answer, but is it a game or private use flight sim?

Edit: oh and on the topic of starving yourself... FFS dude go mow someone's lawn for $20 and get a case of Ramen Noodles

Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
    Jetster says thanks.
    More than 25k PPD
  5. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    I just bought a 1tb recertified Caviar Black from a fellow here on TPU on the B / S / T forum for 80 USD and it runs like a dream. It replaced a WD Green that was failing on my raid. You can find a good deal on a HDD if you just look for it. Think of all the time you've wasted burning discs where you coud have just taken a fraction of the time to copy the data to a hard drive instead. I don't know about you, but I value my time and in the long run, you're spending more not on the drive, but the time to manage your backup. How much is your time worth, because I value mine pretty high.

6. Derek12

Thanks Received:
    In my experience a hard disk or Flash drive are far more durable than optical media if treated OK.

7. ShiBDiB

ShiBDiB

Thanks Received:
    And a disc can scratch, hell your house could explode then what...

Get with the times, disc's of any kind are slow/inefficient/easily damaged and annoying

8. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    Your hard drives will be gone too if your house explodes, thats a reason for off-site backups, not for magnetic and flash media.

9. ShiBDiB

ShiBDiB

Thanks Received:
    Off site backup and hundreds of discs are 2 very different things. You can have an offsite server box running in raid with server level HD's with multiple redundancies.. Or you can have a few hundread jewel cases full of easily scratchable cd's.

10. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    The difference in that case is that data on a hard drive that has been in an explosion or fire is still highly likely recoverable. The same can not be said about optical media.

Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  11. Bunchies New Member

Thanks Received: