1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Why the LHC (still) won’t destroy the earth

Discussion in 'Science & Technology' started by qubit, Aug 29, 2011.

?

The LHC won't destroy the earth

1. Oh yes it will!

6.3%
  2. Oh no it won't!

62.5%
  3. I'm cowering in my bunker with my tin foil hat on, just in case

31.3%
  1. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]
    Ahhh, if only...

So, sorry to disappoint all you conspiracy theorists out there, but it won't. ;) Also, check out the high powered equation-filled posts from poster lcrowell following the article!

Goes right over my head, but from what I can see, it's not BS.

Universe Today

2. twilyth Guest

We're doomed!

There are so many things the standard model can't account for and there is probably a huge amount of new physics (what physicists consider gettin' some 'strange') out there. So you really can't rule anything out. Even scientists thought there was a remote chance that the first atomic bomb could ignite the atmosphere.

Plus, unlike cosmic rays, you have an incredible density of sub-atomic particles that you would never see in naturally occurring cosmic rays. Maybe that doesn't matter, but maybe it does.

Personally, I don't think there is anything to worry about, but the whole point of the LHC is to discover new phenomena. If it only succeeds in proving the existence of the Higgs boson and confirming the standard model, I think it will be a huge disappointment. So it's probably not wise to rule out the wildly improbable or even the impossible.

3. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    Well, the scientific explanation of why it couldn't possibly make a black hole is pretty convincing to me. They even explain how if it even existed, it couldn't grow.

And they talking quite definitively about it too, not just speculating.

4. twilyth Guest

You're right, they probably have that one locked down. I was being more grandiose. :cool:

I mean the RHIC has been creating a quark-gluon plasma for a while now with no problems.

5. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:
    Maybe then I could play DOOM for real. I just need to find a rocket launcher and a chainsaw.

Well I still don't see how Higgs Bosons (LHC's main goal) and gravitons can cause blackhole formation. That particles maybe don't even exist in the first place. And I doubt they ever can recreate the Bing Bang anyway. But LHC is indeed a very important thing for the human race lol.

6. twilyth Guest

The quark gluon plasma I think is what existed just a few seconds after the big bang - maybe less - and that has been done over and over again at the RHIC by colliding counter-rotating beams of gold ions. That's probably the closest to a big bang we're going to get.

I'm not worried about black holes. Were I to worry, it would be about stuff that we don't even know about yet. You can't predict the unknown.

7. D4S4

D4S4

Thanks Received:
    if you compressed earth to a black hole, it's schwarzshchild radius would be no bigger than say, a basketball. therefore, a 1000 proton black hole's schwarzshchild radius would be measured in planck lenghts (and that's freaky small).

8. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:
  9. twilyth Guest

I know. My point was that you don't get much closer to the actual big bang than that.

10. Drone

Drone

Thanks Received:
    You never know what is closer and what is further