1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

[WTB] Wi-Fi Repeater

Discussion in 'Buy/Sell/Trade/Giveaway Forum' started by Black Panther, Nov 28, 2008.

1. Black Panther

Black Panther Senior Moderatorâ„¢ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    To solve the problem I got here (see first post with diagram).

Must be something which receives a signal (wireless) from router to transmit it (wireless again) to laptop wifi. The distance from 'full signal' to 'no signal' is very short, maybe 2 feet, but the angles are large (and wifi only travels in a straight line). So I don't really need something to boost the signal to a much stronger one, but only something strong enough to get the signal past a tough corner.

Sellers worldwide welcome. EU sellers will be given preference only if product is identical or better.

Method of payment flexible, preferably paypal.

You can check my ebay feedback which is 100%.

2. PP Mguire

PP Mguire New Member

Thanks Received:
    The only straight line wifi is with high gain antennas like a Yagi or small satelite. Everything else has a circumfrence of signal. You probably have to much interferance between said laptop and said router.

3. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    I think your best option would be an outdoor antenna and a external wireless card that can take an antenna.

Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  4. TheGuruStud

TheGuruStud

Thanks Received:
    Get the Wrt54gl from wherever (since it's cheap), load dd-wrt on it and use it as a repeater. Your bandwidth will be cut in half, but if you don't have more than a 5 Mb connection and aren't transferring any large files, then it's no big deal.

A yagi would work. I've seen decent ones go through several feet of concrete and brick to laptops.
    The only problem would be the weak signal from the laptop. It probably won't be able to punch through the dirt. Intel wireless is the pits. I'd rather spend 20 and plug in a usb adapter (just for peace of mind, still not high power haha).

I like to rig stuff, personally :) I'd use an old PC and load w/e linux of choice or just a simple firewall OS, connect a yagi (usb adapter) and mount it on the roof. Then use your other router to broadcast inside the laptop area. It's not elegant, but it would provide a very stable, kind of point to point bridge.

At the very least, I'd get ddwrt router and see what I could do with making it a repeater or bridge. If you can get signal to it (enough for speed) and don't want to sacrifice b/w, you could use the ddwrt as a bridge and daisy chain the other router off it. Using discrete channels, interference shouldn't be a big deal. I know it's rigging, but hey, it would work :)

Last edited: Nov 29, 2008