1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Widescreen LCD's?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by devinXkillyou, Nov 24, 2006.

1. devinXkillyou

devinXkillyou New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey guys, im looking to buy an lcd within the next few days. i have been looking around at alot of different stores, online and retail. i have decided that it needs to have at least a 700:1 contrast ration, 19" or higher, and preferably a 5ms response time, and a price range no more than around $230. i found this LG widescreen 19'' at Best Buy for $220 - LCD
    My question is: do you guys prefer widescreen to regular? i know my card will support it, im just wondering if widescreen is any better? Also, is this a pretty good deal? i know most LCD's that ive seen have around 700:1 contrast ratio but this one has 2000:1! will it make a huge difference?

Last edited: Nov 24, 2006
  2. W2hCYK New Member

Thanks Received:
    If I was to go over 19", i'd get a widescreen, which I am this christmas. Im getting a sceptre 22" 5ms widescreen, $329.

My current LCD, a Sceptre 19", 8ms, is fantastic. No complaints about it. $189 from newegg, search Sceptre X9G. Very good LCD, they use Sony Pannels, and they are a lesser known brand, so their prices are cheaper, but by no means is a compromise in quality! 9.5/10 LCD!

3. Tatty_One

Tatty_One Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Am just about to buy a Samsung 20 inch widescreen.....6MS, I personally would go for the 20 inch to get the higher resolution for graphic quality if your card can handle resolutions like 1680 x 1050 in modern games...just my opinion.

I prefer the widescreen, for a couple of reasons, the most obvious....it is much more compatible with movies but also because it is a more natural viewing area, your eyes by nature have a wider angle viewing than height, if you sit and look straight ahead, without moving your head see how much you can see above and below you, then see how much more you can see to the sides, that makes the screen view more realistic in games, well thats the theory, I will know in practice next week!

4. malware New Member

Thanks Received:
    19" WS is just too small in my personal opinion...go for 20" - 22" and enjoy it. I'm also going to grab one LG L204WT.

5. devinXkillyou

devinXkillyou New Member

Thanks Received:
    wow, i never really thought about that. it would be more natural for your eyes. but now, looking at price, could i get a good 20.1 for under 230?

6. lemonadesoda

lemonadesoda

Thanks Received:
    My tip is not to go for widescreen... why? Because movies are best watched on the TV from the sofa, not huddled up to your nerdy PC. You've got to get away from it some of the time!!!

Also, PC's are for doing stuff, and you can do more, the more you can read on a page. A taller screen is best for PDFs, iExplorer, IDE tools, etc.

Remember that whatever the DIAMETER of a screen, wide screen always has less pixels than square screen. Do the math. 21" square has more pixels than 21" widescreen.

It's a marketing gimmick. Don't do it!

7. ATIonion New Member

Thanks Received:
    if you live in texas i think you have a fry's electronics there...In indiana they had a 20.1" 8ms widescreen for $189 today only....:rockout:

8. devinXkillyou

devinXkillyou New Member

Thanks Received:
    ok thanks. i think im still going to go with the widescreen though. so about that one at best buy with the 2000:1 contrast ratio. i know the price is pretty good but will i notice a huge difference from the 2000:1 ratio and, say, a 700:1 contrast ratio LCD?

9. syncrod

Thanks Received:
    im looking to get that same lcd

10. GLD

GLD

Thanks Received:
    I agree with this. I meen if you game on your pc then I would stear clear or the ws lcd's. I have read (here on TPU) guys talking of games not supporting the ws format. If you are going to be be using your ps for movies and maybe an office computer then I would say a ws would be the way to go. For all around general computer geekin' I would say get the biggest, bestest square LCD in you budget. I am completly happy with my square 17" 4ms LG.

11. Tatty_One

Thanks Received:
    Some good points about things against widescreens as well as for and TBH it will always remain a personal thing but I am under the impressions that ALL games coming out now support widescreen format?

12. ATIonion New Member

Thanks Received:
  13. devinXkillyou

devinXkillyou New Member

Thanks Received:
    dude thats freakin crazy, i was just looking at that exact monitor on newegg a couple minutes before i checked this thread. i think im going to go with it: 5ms response time, 1000:1 contrast ratio, $200 after the $50 mail in rebate.

14. Tatty_One

Thanks Received:
    That looks a fantastic deal but I want DVI and HDCP so am going to have to pay a bit more, am looking at the 20 inch Samsung 205BW at £199 in the UK at the moment but that one at newegg looks an awesome deal.

15. Muhad

Muhad

Thanks Received:
    http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/

16. InfDamarvel New Member

Thanks Received:
    I just ordered a 19inch widescreen off tigerdirect for $129 after rebate