1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Wierd 9800se problems

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by knaff, Feb 26, 2006.

1. knaff New Member

Thanks Received:
    hi,

I've been having some weird problems with my 9800se. It's 128Mb 128bit, running at 380/600, which is the stock speeds. I put an Arctic Silencer on it and opened the pipes to 8, and it ran fine for a few months, until...

One day my computer would not run any 3d games at all & in DXDIAG it said that direct3d was disabled. So I went back to stock Cat6.1 & it worked fine. OK, so I can't run it at 8 pipes any more, I thought.

Everything was running fine for a few weeks, but one day I reached behind my PC to get to a USB port, and touched the VGA cable, and what happens ?? The PC reboots itself !! It fired up again after I reseated the 9800se, but what's all that about ??

Then just today I noticed tried to play a DVD and ticked "use hardware acceleration" in PowerDVD, and then the screen goes all green and I have to reset ?? I disabled hardware acceleration and I could watch a DVD.

Sorry for the long post, but there is some weird stuff going on with my 9800se...any ideas ??

2. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    the best guess I have is that you have a short somewhere... I reccomend reseating the cooler (yes, reapply the thermal paste and everything) and hope for the best. if you put any Ramsinks on yourself, take those off. oh, and good job remembering to install VGA silencer BEFORE you installed the softmod...I was an idiot and ran my 9800SE on softmod for a month or two before installing the VGA silencer, and I payed the price for it, my 9800SE retired 6 months after purchase and I had to get a new video card (but hey, the X850XT is AWESOME!!! 3x better easily)