1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Wierd noise while running 3D

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by tinyfish, Dec 5, 2005.

1. tinyfish New Member

Thanks Received:
    Just got my Gigabyte X800XL with Silentpipe cooling ( passive ) and when I play games without sound I can hear strange noises, I'm not sure if its the graphics card but I could'nt hear these when I had my X800PRO with fan cooling. The noise appears in ATI Tool while you are artifact scanning.

Anyone know what could cause this noise, is it bad ?

EDIT: forgot to mention that I've connected my graphics card, HDD and 2 DVD drives with the same power cable from the power supply unit, anything to do with it ?

I've been listening more and more, and now im almost 100% sure the noise comes from the PSU, is this bad ?

Last edited: Dec 5, 2005
  2. Aevum

Thanks Received:
    alot of power supplies today have a circuit that monitor temperature and set fan speed in accord to temperature,

the excessive noise is due to your video card consuming more power when running in 3D mode,
    you can resolve that by getting a power supply with better efficiancy and a better power output, usualy more heat indicates lower efficiency and worst power supply operation,

basicly, if you´re getting that excessive noise for long times, you should think about retiering that psu,

BTW
    mentioning what brand , stable and peak watt output, amperage and voltage values read from bios should be included in any question about psu problems,

3. tinyfish New Member

Thanks Received:
    Its an Aspire 500W 12V with 34Amps

4. djbbenn

Thanks Received:
    Is it a squealing noise? If so it's just a noise circuits makes under load. I can be a mix of things that cause it. It's quite common, I get it sometimes from my video card or around that area. I believe it's called a "renouced circuit", but it may be a different name.

-Dan

5. tinyfish New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes, I heard that all graphics cards make these noises but mine does it really loud :O
    Also my gfx card gets 80*C while running ATI TOOL's 3D View :(

6. Poisonsnak New Member

Thanks Received:
    My PSU makes a sort of a squealing noise once if I am running ATITool (100% CPU/GPU) and an instance of prime95 (other core of CPU 100%). I think it's pretty standard.

7. tinyfish New Member

Thanks Received:
    Bought a new PSU, Atrix 520W and i can still hear that sound. its annoying and i want to know if its okay if its constantly there or is it bad ?

EDIT: To add, some games crash after a while of playing, also strange images appear while playing, the picture gets all wierd for few seconds before everything turns normal again. Why ?

Last edited: Dec 6, 2005
  8. LutaWicasa New Member

Thanks Received:
    Sounds like heat.

9. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    ya id see bout tryin to cool that card down a tad more or put like a fan near the pcb or near the psu too exuast more heat..........YAY 700 POSTS!!!!!!!!!

10. wazzledoozle

wazzledoozle New Member

Thanks Received:
    My motherboards buzzes under heavy load WHEN the video card is clocked way up. Im guessing its straining the motherboards power circuit :toast:

11. bruins004 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I suggest to get some PCI slot fans, if you have any PCI slots left. They do help out a big in vertical air since your case gets none and lowers the temps nicely. Also, how many case fans do you have? You should at least have 1 in the front (for intake) and 1 in the back (for outtake). This doesnt include the PSU's fan(s). It would also help to have one on the side (like most cases have these days) to blow air right onto the processor or GPU.

12. Thermopylae_480

Thermopylae_480 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I get a whining noise sometimes too, but I haven't been able to localize it yet. It seems to have started recently. I hear it sometimes even when I'm just switching web pages. It could be my power supply, I think its on the way out.

13. infrared New Member

Thanks Received:
    while you've got the cover off, press the graphics card fan while it's running... Sometimes manufacturers forget to grease the bearings in the fan.

The temps for that graphics card are very hot... which is what lead me to think the fan might be at fault. And the heat will be causing the errors during games.

Hey, on another thought, have you checked out the harddrive?? It might be a separate problem causing the heat and the noise.

Anyway, good luck with getting it fixed.