• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

wierd standoff issue on haf x

System Name no remorse
Processor i7 2600k @ 4.7 ht on
Motherboard gigabyte z68x-ud3p-b3
Cooling xspc rasa cpu block, bitspower restop, mcp355
Memory 4 x 4gb corsair vengance 1600 8-8-8-24
Video Card(s) 570 gtx
Storage 2x32 gb patriot ssd's in raid 0 (os & games) / 2 x 500gb barracuda (storage)
Display(s) 25 inch 1080p widescreen i-inc
Case cooler master haf x
Audio Device(s) turtle beach earforce px21 headset (usb)
Power Supply corsair HX850
Benchmark Scores super pi 1m : 7.160 sec. 34,837 3dmark06
hey guys, just put my system into a haf x. previous to the case swap, all the same components were in a mountain mods pinnacle case and never had any issue's.

any way's here it goes. after fully swapping and being ready for first post, it wouldnt post, just a shitty constant restart after about 2 seconds, and would just cycle(let it go for 5-10 mins, wouldn't revert to default, wierd). so i was like wtf, clr cmos and all was good. so i chalked it up to maybe something wasn't done right on my part. the next day i tried to boot, same thing. so, i figured clr cmos and try again, maybe i just messed up a setting in the bios(operator error).

nope, clr cmos no go, i tried leaving the battery out, no go... so one by one i began unplugging components, swapping ram stick around still no post.... at this point im gettin f'n mad, unplugged everything from mobo, front panel usb etc, reset switch hdd light, hdd's, gpu, everything but the power switch and the psu lines needed. still no go....

now at this point i was starting to think the case is the culprit. so i take out all the screws that mount the mobo to the standoff's and walla... shit works just fine.

for some reason i decided to put in every standoff that is required for this mobo, wich i usually never do. i usually do the center and all four corners, skipping the rest. so i wen't back to my old routine, 1 center and 4 corners.

problem solved.

not sure what the deal was a bad ground on one of the other standoff's or mobo, but i have remedied the problem.

I thought this was odd, and i wanted to share this mishap so if any other ppl have this issue they can try this.

sorry for the rant, it's late i'm not going to check for spelling errors and such, hopefully it legible enough.

Last edited:
System Name Runs Smooth
Processor FX 8350
Motherboard Crosshair V Formula Z
Cooling Corsair H110 with AeroCool Shark 140mm fans
Memory 16GB G-skill Trident X 1866 Cl. 8
Video Card(s) HIS 7970 IceQ X² GHZ Edition
Storage OCZ Vector 256GB SSD & 1Tb piece of crap
Display(s) acer H243H
Case NZXT Phantom 820 matte black
Audio Device(s) Nada
Power Supply NZXT Hale90 V2 850 watt
Software Windows 7 Pro
Benchmark Scores Lesbians are hot!!!
Thanks for sharing, I'm glad you got it figured out.

That is really weird though, it would have taken me awhile to figure that one out.

Cold Storm

Battosai
System Name Haro
Processor AMD 1700x
Motherboard AsRork x370 Taichi
Cooling EK Custom Loop - CPU only
Memory 32gb G-Skill Trident Z
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080 Superclock 2
Storage Too Many
Display(s) Viewsonic VX2450WM-LED 24" & LG 32 IPS
Case Cooler Master Cosmos II
Power Supply Cooler Master V1000
Mouse SteelSeries Rival 500
Software Win10 Pro
Benchmark Scores i5 750 4.62ghz pi runs // Evga FTW p55
The funny part.. is that I do the same thing as you.. I don't do it all I just do the four and the middle.. Never had a problem..

Glad it was that and nothing with a "touch wrong" when placing it in the case.

:toast:

Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG X570S Tomahawk Max WiFi
Cooling EK Supremacy EVO Elite + EK D5 + EK 420 Rad, TT Toughfan 140x3, TT Toughfan 120x2, Arctic slim 120
Memory 32GB GSkill DDR4-3600 (F4-3600C16-8GVKC)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Radeon RX 7900XTX Gaming OC
Storage WDBlack SN850X 4TB, Samsung 950Pro 512GB, Samsung 850EVO 500GB, 6TB WDRed, 36TB NAS, 8TB Lancache
Display(s) Benq XL2730Z (1440P 144Hz, TN, Freesync) & 2x ASUS VE248
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D
Audio Device(s) Topping D50S + THX AAA 789, TH-X00 w/ V-Moda Boompro; 7Hz Timeless
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Sharkoon Fireglider optical
Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB
Software Windows 11 Pro
A friend of a friend (someone I know personally to be one of those "I already know everything there is to know, so don't bother trying to tell me anything" people) bought a fancy aftermarket case to put his obsolete OEM computer in (yeah, that's right... apparently ricers come in PC version too :laugh:) and he couldn't figure out why it wasn't working. It did the same thing you described. Well, he lives 4 3/4 hours away, and I'm the only "Computer Guy" he knows, so he asked our mutual friend to ask me what was the problem. He never did give me any more info than what I just told you, so obviously I couldn't help much. Six months later, it comes down the grapevine that they figured it out. Our mutual friend, who knows about as much about computers as I know about brain surgery noticed that he didn't use any standoffs. He just bolted the motherboard straight to the case. :shadedshu So they put the standoffs in, and luckily nothing was damaged, just fired right up.

Why I bring this up, apart from the comedic value, is that it leads me to believe that one of the motherboard mounting holes on your motherboard may be electrically bridged to one of the circuits on your motherboard. If that was the case, it would ground out through the mounting screw, to the standoff, and into the case. If you ever go and remount it, try using some of those paper washers on both sides of the motherboard and see if you still have the issue.

System Name ---
Processor Ryzen 1600
Motherboard ASRock Taichi X370
Cooling Noctua D15
Memory G.Skill 3200 DDR4 2x8GB
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080 TI SC
Storage 500GB Samsung Evo 970 NVMe + 860 Evo 2TB SSD + 5x 2TB HDDs
Display(s) LG CX 65"
Case Phanteks P600S (white)
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x (white)
There was a time where the only thing holding my mobo in case was 1 standoff, the PCI cards and I/O inputs. If I did so much as stomp on the ground my computer would reset. I couldn't so much as blow on the mobo before it would reset. The problem? I couldn't remember the word "standoff" for the fucking life of me. You can't exactly put "those little things on the motherboard that hold it in place" into Newegg or whatever to get a result. It wasn't that big of a deal to me either so I just left it that way for a while. I friend of mine asked some guy at a computer store what the word was and bought some for me.... I think I put them in 3 months later.