1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

WiiU might be renamed to Wii Entertainment System ?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by RuskiSnajper, Apr 13, 2012.

1. RuskiSnajper

RuskiSnajper

Thanks Received:
    This is the third rumor now. And actually from nintendo them selfs.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=469930&page=40&#1962
    http://gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=175521

After analyzing everything what happened and also a picture from the neogaf linked ign rumor thread i came to a conclusion.

The name changed 3 times before going to japanese "mario party 9" text. This all happend in 15-20 minutes. Someone was in a hurry back there.

Also the the system indicator was different back then, it was the empty blue Wii[japantext] and people said that means WiiWare ... it probably was a wii ware game but the WES name ...but i don't know if linked to mario party 9, i didn't saw yet anyone saying what it linked to before it was changed - i came to this like 20 mins after this rumor happend.

I think this mario party 9 thing and the filled blue wii label is a smoke screen from the typos - ninjas at work - but who knows.

Generally people already started to like the name was WES abbreviation would be finally something new - but they pointed out for the mass makert it might be a confusing name - though if WES term snaps on with people it should be fine for the hardcore audience.

Personally i also like the WES abbreviation - there was a rumor back then that nintendo wanted to do everything to include "wii" into the name whatever it may be.

2. illli

Thanks Received:
    would be funny if they named it wiiFU

3. Synon Zelra New Member

Thanks Received:
    i just wonder if it makes much difference on the name decision

4. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    WES? No, not going to happen. People would just call it a Wii and then there would be mass confusion between the new and the old (new games won't be backwards compatible). I think they should stop thinking so hard and just call it Wii 2.

Crunching for Team TPU
  5. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
    Wiii

Just add another "i" with every new version of console XD Wii, Wiii, Wiiii, Wiiiii, Wiiiiii etc...

6. RuskiSnajper

RuskiSnajper

Thanks Received:
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2012
  7. Synon Zelra New Member

Thanks Received:
    gee, it will be so hard to tell wiiii and wiiiiii from pronunciation...

8. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    Yes yes, with the main idea being we are getting more and more excited with each new console! I like it.

WIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!!!!!

9. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    Nintendo is losing steam big time, gimmicky controls are a joke to core Console Gamers

10. RuskiSnajper

RuskiSnajper

Thanks Received:
    I hope that was a joke

I see lots of buttons ... and lots of options with the combination of wiimote ... you have one example below in my signature.

If theres a gimmick ... nothing's bigger than ipad

11. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    I don't think the Wii U pad is a gimmick. the screen relays the player more information.

12. RuskiSnajper

RuskiSnajper

Thanks Received:
    The amount of buttons are more than any other nintendo controller before. Obviously we won't use uPad for something like metroid - wiimote works wonders for FPS games i mean that's a no brainer

13. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    "7 ways to play"

Seems pretty gimmicky to me. Out of those 7 I wonder of any of them will be executed well, or if they'll all compromise each other. I'm already imagining how uncomfortable that controller is going to be. I know from the 3ds Nintendo doesn't give two shits about ergonomics.

14. RuskiSnajper

RuskiSnajper

Thanks Received:
    depends on the game

Developers have multiple choices - that's the point.

It's developers fault if they all try to do the same thing, all trying to copy the popular crap control scheme or cannot implement the controls well.

15. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    imagine using nVidia surround with 3 monitors but having your HUD, map, inventory, etc on the 4th monitor.

the Wii U keeps all the action on the television and relays information to the controller for players to interact with.

how is this a bad thing?

16. Sinzia

Thanks Received:
    Sounds more like a distraction than a helpful tool to me, I have to constantly look down at the controller.

17. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    BF3 with just the weapon and crosshair on screen. you can relay all information to the 6.2" touch screen like a larger map overlay after you spawn.

18. HossHuge

HossHuge

Thanks Received:
    Hey RuskiSnajper,

I'm playing Metroid Prime Echoes right now. Metroid Prime is better than this but Echoes is still fun. I'm at the Spider Guardian. It's a pain in the ass.

19. RuskiSnajper

RuskiSnajper

Thanks Received:
    The other names for WiiU have been rumored

Nintendo Feel (looks like fake)
    Nintendo Stream
    Super Wii

Some rumors said that nintendo japan likes Wii U name - but the regional offices want to change it (EU/AU/NA)

Sorround is a fancy buzzword like Eyefinity

It's just multi output - WiiU will be capable of 3; main + 2 terminal.

With echoes they experimented a bit and put multiplayer in. They cut multiplayer for third, corruption, to be able to make the singleplayer as good as possible.

Retro studios is now creating a title "everyone wants us to do" and according to a loose rumor "it's not DK, Metroid or Zelda" but "it's visually extremely impressive".

I hope they aren't sacrificing nintendo-quality and their legacy to force Retro to work something an avreage PS360 demographic would play - i don't play such games with that gameplay, nor do i play modern warfails.

I hope Iwata will leave 3rd parties to make games for mainstream Westerners and the so-called "call of duty" demographic.

Because if they make such a game, i won't buy it. I only play nintendo quality an nothing else there.

I don't believe nintendo would go sacrifice it's legacy to go so low to make a game something like HomeFront, just another western FPS.

Honestly i never liked FPS games without exploration, the adventure aspect is one of the key components.

I hope it's not a real-life military style game - that would bring all that kindergarden demographic.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2012
  20. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    If they named it the Wii-fu and marketted it from a martial arts standpoint ("Your Wii-fu is very strong, Grasshopper") using well know martial arts experts as actors, and the launch included excellent kung-fu type games ... they would probably sell jillions.

Sure people would make fun of the "fu", but who cares if your selling jillions.

21. Vendor

Thanks Received:
    when is it going to release?
    Any info about prices and more details in india?

22. xBruce88x

xBruce88x

Thanks Received:
  23. xenocide

xenocide

Thanks Received:
    There have been rumors, but most of them are disappointing. Basically Nintendo is shooting for a Fall (Q3/4 2012) release, and did everything imaginable to keep the price around $300. You can only use 1 tablet controller at a time, and rumors have said they are very prone to disconnect, stop working, and have massive amounts of delay (according to various Developers). The Wii U is basically going to wirelessly stream the information to these controllers, which results in massive amounts of data flowing too and from the device at any given time, and since the Tablets have no integrated Processor, the Wii U itself has to process everything on the controller as well as the game itself.

The system selling for $300 may sound tempting, but Nintendo really had to skimp on quality to get there, and were forced to cut cost as much as possible to please investors according to rumors. Microsoft did that with the Xbox 360's cooling setup, and we know how that worked out. I imagine massive amounts of Hardware Problems with the initial batch of Wii U's due to shoddy manufacturing.

Oh please, that tablet will be a map or inventory in 99% of the launch titles. I am with him, it seems like a silly idea. Their logic is it frees up screen space "wasted" by the HUD, Map, and other elements, but any game that has those is largely action-based, and in a game where split second decisions matter, having to look down at your controller, away from the action, seems like a terrible "solution".

24. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    it works on the DS and the Wii U Pad isn't small.

[​IMG]

25. xenocide

xenocide

Thanks Received:
    The DS being small is why it works. Your eyes are always focused on a smaller object, and the second screen is literally right next to the primary screen, you don't have to move your head at all, only your eyes. And on the DS you're not playing too many fast-paced action games where HUD information is vital, nothing like BF3 at least. Unless you plan on holding your controller highin the air with your arms extended straight out in front of you, it's not even remotely the same.

Notice something about that picture you posted, that's a hard-wired Controller, which means it is infinitely better than the experience you are going to get from the finished product. Even then, the only thing on there is a Map, just as I said. Then there's still the issue where you can only have one of those controllers hooked up at a time, meaning no game with local multiplayer will put any real emphasis on the tablet portion since they need to allow players to make due without it.

Bottom line, it's just another gimmick.