• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Wikipedia Donation Campaign Succeeds in Raising Above $6 Million

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Wikipedia is a lot larger than some odd article that relies heavily on sources. In a political article, you're bound to have polarisation of views, no encyclopedia or information resource is immune to this. If you disagree with that particular article, move on to something else. Try editing the article, back everything you say with sources (citations linking to websites/newsgroups/etc). I can tell from your earlier post and this one, that you make claims without citations. To give you an example, this article caused so much drama with the Indian and Pakistani posters that it was all over the news and someone had to intervene and rewrite the whole thing: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bangladesh_liberation_war

This is where this sub-topic ends. Thanks!

rsajan

Yes. You cite pro-Christian and pro-American sources and you are spared a Block. Try other sources and you are blocked. Thank you. Good that you cannot Block anyone here.

System Name ICE-QUAD // ICE-CRUNCH
Processor Q6600 // 2x Xeon 5472
Memory 2GB DDR // 8GB FB-DIMM
Video Card(s) HD3850-AGP // FireGL 3400
Display(s) 2 x Samsung 204Ts = 3200x1200
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2
Software Windows Server 2003 R2 as a Workstation now migrated to W10 with regrets.
I think that was a compliment to TPU.

Welcome rsajan. And yes you do have a point, that content can be "hijacked" for whatever purpose by whoever. And the neutrality thing can be difficult to implement, esp. when there are people with some "superior power", whatever that may mean, and however relative that is, that can influence what information is recorded, or reviewed, or made permanent. (or deleted).

Politics and history have throughout history been influenced by a few to represent an image (-ination) they prefer.

Rebo&Zooty

anything writen by HUMANS is going to be slanted to the views the writer holds, sorry but its FACT, human nature means that your view of events/subjects is skewed by your own perspective, that is created by your life experiences.

Personaly i cant find fault with much of what i have read in wikipedia, their artical on chiropractic is bias, but thats NORMAL, read it in other encylopedias, the AMA(American medical association) has a real problem with anything that dosnt requier drugs and making them money, just recently have medical doctors started to come around to the fact that there are other ways to deal with problems then covering them up with drugs.

medical doctors dont really try and cure anything, its not profitable to cure you, its profitable to treat you as long as possable!!!

blah I get into a rant about that crap and get upset and well most of u know what I mean.

I have no problem with the salerys of those who are employed by Wiki, I do have a problem with excessive spending, but depending on the use 1k a day expence accts for say a system admin or the like, if on a trip or buying software/equipment thats not really that excessive, i had a manager that went on a training trip to NY and he had a hard time keeping his expences under 800 a day due to taxi costs (subway/public trans is scare to ppl who havent used it b4, also can get lost to easy :p )

I agree if its all the time, that is excessive, but duno if it was a daily thing or if the expence's included stuff for work and not just stuff like lunch at an over priced restrant.

Oh and I agree if you want to hold onto good people, you gotta pay well, Google dosnt just pay well, they also feed their employees and their familys and even guests/friends of employees at a high end buffet, crazy stuff, they wana keep the employee happy, a happy employee is a more efficent employee :)

spearman914

System Name Mine | Dad + Mom
Processor E8500 E0 Wolfdale @ 4.6GHz 1.5V | E2180 M0 Allendale @ 3.0GHz 1.3V
Motherboard Asus Maximus Formula (X48) w/ Rampage BIOS | Asus P5Q Pro (P45)
Cooling Xigmatek Rifle HDT-S1283 w/ SFF21F Fan | Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro
Memory G.Skill Pi Black 2x2GB 1.02GHz CL5 | OCZ Reaper 2x2GB 1.05GHz CL5
Video Card(s) Sapphire 4870X2 2GB 820/1020MHz | Sapphire 4850 1GB 700/1100MHz
Storage WD VR 150GB 10K RPM + WD 500GB 7.2K RPM | WD 200GB 7.2K RPM
Display(s) Acer P243WAID 24" 1920x1200 LCD | Acer V193W 19" 1440x900 LCD
Case Cooler Master HAF 932 Full-Tower | Antec Twelve Hundred Mid-Tower
Audio Device(s) Fatal1ty Xtreme Gamer w/ Z-5500 5.1 | On-Board Audio w/ S-220 2.1
Power Supply PC Power and Cooling 750W Non-Modular | Corsair HX-520W Modular
Software Windows Vista Home Premium X64 | Windows Vista Home Premium X64
Benchmark Scores Not Wasting Time!
Wikipedia pwns. But they post some imapproriate stuff like if u search penis on wikipedia, it'll show u an actual picture of a real penis. :(

Rebo&Zooty

spearman914, Americans are far to prudish, who cares if you see a penis?

I am American, and Honestly I cant understand why people are so caught up on "omg i saw a nipple" or the like.

oh and FYI real paper encylopedias have far worse things for a prude to see then a pic of a penius!!!!

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
Why was "penis" looked up in the first place?!

Rebo&Zooty

so somebody could have an excuse to say that wiki was bad/evil/imoral?

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
Wikipedia "It's true because enough people say it's true"

A social experiment of education, information, and some favortisim. And by god they need the money as they say they do, and besides, I saw it on wikipedia, and linked it. Are you too stupid to read and understand it? Everyone needs to drive a 100K car and work 40 hour weeks, that is how this country works, by damned, and that is how it will stay, built upon the backs of others.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Oh, and has anyone seen the wikifuck tool? Quite amazing, almost like madlibs for wikipedia.

Rebo&Zooty

there have been studys showing that wikipedia is as accurate as your retail "costs an arm and a legg" hard copy(book or dvd) encylopedias, no signifigant diffrance was found(both had innacuracys)

fact is that facts are changing constantly, at least with wikipedia when they change pluto's class from a planet to whatever it gets updated quickly to match the new "facts"/"reality"

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
there have been studys showing that wikipedia is as accurate as your retail "costs an arm and a legg" hard copy(book or dvd) encylopedias, no signifigant diffrance was found(both had innacuracys)

fact is that facts are changing constantly, at least with wikipedia when they change pluto's class from a planet to whatever it gets updated quickly to match the new "facts"/"reality"

See my first coment.

Oh so contraire Mr. Colbert :p

Rebo&Zooty

haha, yeah, just came off as you saying wiki was crap, hell my last college prof even said he would allow wiki as a backup/alt reference BUT if the artical you linked didnt fit with his sorces you would probably fail the class.......funny I got a B after missing to many days to pass the class because I did such a good job, and all my stuff was backed with stuff from wiki(but not only from wiki ofcorse) but then again, i know what google and stuff like liberys are for :p

Stephen

System Name Kubuntu Computer
Processor AMD Athlon 64 LE-1620 2.4 GHz
Motherboard Asus M2N-MX SE Plus
Memory 2 GB Patriot Signature Line DDR2 800 MHz
Video Card(s) Onboard GeForce 6100
Storage 160 GB Samsung Spinpoint
Display(s) Some piece of crap DiamondDigital 17" crt
Case Asus TM-220
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply 300w stock
Software Kubuntu 8.10
I donated $1 a few months ago :) Which would have been around 60 US cents.

Processor Core i5 3570K
Motherboard AsRock z77 Pro4
Cooling Zalman CNPS10X Extreme
Memory 2x4GB GSkill Sniper
Video Card(s) MSI GTX970 Gaming
Storage 240GB OCZ ARC 100, Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB
Display(s) LG 23" 1920x1080
Case Antec P100
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Antec Edge 750W
Software Windows 8.1 Pro 64
What started off on a low-key as a free online encyclopedia, Wikipedia now stands as an indispensable part of the internet, as one of the most important information resources.

I think Wiki's got a pretty big idea of themselves. I'd hardly call it indispensible. I'd rather just spend an extra 30 seconds and use credible resources I don't have to double/triple check.

Rebo&Zooty

Don, do some research, they are credible, as credible as any retail encylopedia is anyway, ANY sorce you use needs dbl and even triple checked, you know why? because its all writen by PEOPLE.

also, how do you know what sorce say "world book" has its artical writers/updaters use?

at least on wiki citations are requiered for an artical to survive, hell even in shit like a wwf wrestlers wiki profile(ROFL?) they put "citation needed" when they want "proof" that somethings true.......

rsajan

Wiki Is Paid Employment?

I do not understand it. People research and find data which they write into the pages. These people do not get paid.
Why should Wiki then have this many employees receiving such huge salaries?
The stuff in Wiki being supplied by researchers and writers that are not paid, this staff strength and their emoluments seem fishy.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
If I need facts on a subject, Wiki is the last place I would look. Editable by anyone on the net just isn't credible.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
I could link to a a scan about how blood letting is good for everything but hemachromatosis and it could stand as true if no one else catches it.

I prefer to use Wiki for things that ahve references, and then check the references for current changes. When my daughter was in the hospital the research I did on the urea cycle, argenine and nitric oxide all STARTED at wiki, but lead me to information from multiple universities about the use of argenine and citruliene as a birth shot at a cost of $5 vs the $217,000 two week hospital stay for her.

Wiki has its place, but not at the information/education forefront of mankind.

Rebo&Zooty

If I need facts on a subject, Wiki is the last place I would look. Editable by anyone on the net just isn't credible.

odd crediable sorces have shown other wise, shown wiki being as reliable as

http://tech.savvyteachers.com/2007/10/08/wikipedia-is-it-credible-and-can-we-use-it/

Wikipedia is a great source of all sorts of information. I often go there myself to get a basic understanding of a topic. But wikipedia has been attacked as non-credible and containing false information. We’re going to explore if these claims are true or false and decide what to do with wikipedia. First, we need to understand how wikipedia works. The word “wikipedia” is a mashing of two words. “wiki” is a Hawaiian word for quick, and the end of wikipedia is taken from encyclopedia. A wiki on the Internet is a site that allows anyone to edit the information on the page. Anyone can change a wikipedia article by clicking the edit tab and making changes.
Problems?
At first glance that might seem like a huge problem. If anyone can change the content, how do I know if its accurate? Wikipedia is based on the concept of peer collaboration. The basic idea is that so many people use wikipedia that any errors or negative changes will be fixed by another user. A common quote is that “given enough eyes, all bugs are shallow.” In wikipedia’s case, the bugs would be false information that’s been edited into the page.
Studies
In fact studies by the BBC and Nature Magazine have shown that wikipedia has the same reliability as traditional encyclopedias such as Encyclopedia Britannica. Others believe that the main issue with wikipedia is trusting in it blindly. Wikipedia can have errors and it’s important to check the information. Perhaps an important lesson we can learn is that all sources (since they were created by people) can have errors and should be evaluated. Wikipedia can (and does) conatain errors, but so does the Encyclopedia Brittainica and many other sources. Evaluate every source by checking the information with other sources. If one says something totally different, then you know that they’re may be an issue.
A Reasonable Conclusion
So where does that leave us? Basically my policy (and I believe many other teacher’s) is that wikipedia is a great source to get basic information, but don’t use it as a cited source. Middlebury College in Vermont recently took this position. If you read that article, you’ll find a very sensible solution. Wikipedia’s greatest value in research paper’s is the citations they used in the article. Every article should have citations to source-worthy sites. The Wikipedia article on Wikipedia has over 100 references, may of which would be perfect as a source. Read the wikipedia article, then check their sources and see if they’d be a fit for your paper.
In short: Use the references from wikipedia, cite them, but don’t cite wikipedia itself.

the links to the studies i didnt copy you can go over to the sorce link and click them, fact is that wiki is as reliable as any other single sources.
http://athena.libraries.claremont.e...2005/12/15/wikipedia_-_a_credible_source.html
another artical about this, im to lazy to find more, but there have been a good number of studies that show wiki is as trustworthy as any other ONE sources, you should ALWAYS have at least 3 sources.

many times when doing research for an a paper i get a minimum of 5 many times 8-10 sorces and cite and use the best of them :)

DrPepper

The Doctor is in the house
System Name Rusky
Processor Intel Core i7 D0 3.8Ghz
Motherboard Asus P6T
Cooling Thermaltake Dark Knight
Memory 12GB Patriot Viper's 1866mhz 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) GTX470 1280MB
Storage OCZ Summit 60GB + Samsung 1TB + Samsung 2TB
Display(s) Sharp Aquos L32X20E 1920 x 1080
Case Silverstone Raven RV01
Power Supply Corsair 650 Watt
Software Windows 7 x64
Benchmark Scores 3DMark06 - 18064 http://img.techpowerup.org/090720/Capture002.jpg
The things i'd miss if wikipedia was to go away
1: Episode guides for scrubs
2: The lists of cpu's and gpu's
3: The chemistry articles
4: The breasts article