1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Wildman

Discussion in 'Games' started by FordGT90Concept, Feb 2, 2013.

1. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    Kickstarter

It looks like a really interesting game and it is Gas Powered Games' (Supreme Commander, Dungeon Seige, Demigod) last ditch effort to go indie and stay open.

It's difficult to explain what it is because it's a hybrid of a real-time strategy (e.g. Supreme Commander) and and a third person action RPG (e.g. Torchlight, Deathspank) with an emphasis on technology (e.g. Empire Earth). It has a lot of randomly generated content (like Torchlight) which may be new to the RTS arena.

Kings and Castles was side tracked (a mideval, spiritual sequel to Supreme Commander) because Gas Powered Games simply don't have the resources to finish it. Wildman is the product that hopefully allows GPG to go indie, getting a lot more revenue for itself (as opposed to publishers) which in turn allows it to finish Kings and Castles.

In addition to the videos on the Kickstarter page, here's an hour long interview with Chris Taylor that got me interested in the project (interview starts at 1:55):

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2013
    Lionheart, Dos101, newtekie1 and 3 others say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  2. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    Hey looks interesting. And a bit like the Orc campaign in The Frozen Throne (and others, that is just the one I can remember the name off). :p

3. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    Looks interesting, but with only 12 days left and not even half way to their goal, I doubt this game will ever make it.

4. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    It'll be a sad day if they don't. Chris Taylor will go back to making indie games in his basement. :(

Crunching for Team TPU
  5. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Sad indeed, Loved playing TA back in the day and SC but WTF they screwed SC2 totally i thought..

As for the idea it made me think of Civilization and Total War in one.

EDIT: And when he went on about mod-ability OMG GR came to mind it's what made the game last so long and part why all the rest suck.

Bohemia Interactive are the only other true allow you to mod games i know of. And is sad that there most likely not be a SC3 and gone back to what made TA and SC1 so grand

Last edited: Feb 3, 2013
    MT Alex says thanks.
  6. MT Alex

MT Alex

Thanks Received:
    That's the first thing that I thought, as well. Everyone is allowed one mistake, I guess, but that was an enormous one. Not to mention the fact that they tried to sell SC2 as the second coming greatest thing since sliced bread. The only people that found it remotely entertaining were the ones that never played SC or Fallen Alliance.

7. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I don't think they are going to make it on this one. 12 days left and only 38% funded.
    I hope that they look for alternate funding as the game looks like a lot of fun.

8. Guitarrassdeamor

Guitarrassdeamor

Thanks Received:
    Looks interesting, but as stated no way they are going to hit their goal. That said, why do they need $1 million to finish it? You ask for a crazy amount of money, you're probably not going to hit it.

9. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Was the second mistake, They lied. And looks like they learned the hard way just hope they really do get the chance to learn and move on with what works just a shame that publishers are such tight ass bitches.

Changing shit is not always a good thing and were is were most part 2's of most games fail and i am sure most people can think of a bunch.

Love to see them pull though this and later get back on their feet for a real TA\SC come back.

10. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Developers many times have to walk a fine line. It's a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" kind of thing.
    If they come out with a sequel that doesn't change a whole lot people bitch that it should have just been a patch. If they change a lot people bitch because it "didn't stay true to the original".

I don't envy them, gamers' are a finicky bunch.

11. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    True, but they more than changed SC2. People wanted EPIC! battles like in the 1st and like in TA you could then they came along with SC2.

In fact the games that change so much do tend to fail more.. GR, RvS, NWN, DA1 and SC1 were great games games but the massive changes made to the sequels and limitations which later in fact that are said in the video kill these games..

Long Live Bohemia Interactive

Last edited: Feb 3, 2013
  12. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    Just got this in an email:
    Chris Taylor is excited on the video.

Crunching for Team TPU
  13. WhiteLotus

WhiteLotus

Thanks Received:
    Just make Supreme Commander again, but make it multi core threaded, and ffs don't make it as fast paced again. I liked slow make-one-mistake-in-the-first-15-minutes-and-your-fucked supreme commander.

MT Alex says thanks.
  14. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    He doesn't give any details for what's in the works. Just that he is optimistic.

Edit: Got another email confirming it was closed.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
    Crunching for Team TPU