1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

will a 10,000 rpm drive really improve gaming performance?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Easy Rhino, Sep 5, 2009.

1. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    it seems that most people say that it barely improves gaming performance and drives like the velociraptor arent really worth the extra money. any ideas?

2. wolf2009 Guest

nah, if 10000 rpm drives improved game performance, then SSDs would be king in gaming performance

3. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    It will help load a game faster, and in certain games like Oblivion for example, textures will load faster in points where the game needs to access the HDD to get the textures.

4. KH0UJ

KH0UJ New Member

Thanks Received:
    +1 it loads a bit faster thus making the games run more free flow sometimes you get stutters because of slow HDD`s accessing textures on the gameplay:rockout:

5. department76

department76 New Member

Thanks Received:
    or you can raid 0 a couple cheap drives and be able to load anything faster than a single raptor can. the biggest benefit of 10krpm is lower seek time, which an SSD completely destroys any raptor at.

so ya, imo a raptor is a waste of money.

6. freaksavior

freaksavior To infinity ... and beyond!

Thanks Received:
    i agree with deparent76. get 24 x 7200.12 500gb and raid them

7. Xazax

Xazax

Thanks Received:
    rofl, I think raptors are great there price isnt, if you can pick some up for the right price why not? your never going to get a faster drive for retail use then 10k Raptor/Velcio's IF YOU REALLY wanna see performance improvements in games 2-4 intel X25m G2's in RAID 0 /w a good RAID card will wipe the floor with anything.

8. FR@NK

FR@NK

Thanks Received:
    The only time I ever notice an advantage is when playing a multiplayer FPS online like COD4. When the map changes it loads abit faster and I get in afew seconds before the others. Its nice to get to an important part of a map afew seconds before anyone else.

Other then that I use raptors because I know they are reliable. I never had any fail and I still have a pair of 36GB that work perfect.

9. Metropolis

Metropolis New Member

Thanks Received:
    10,000rpm drives arent worth the price based on price/performance ratio

its about £120 just for a 150GB, my steam folder is like 200gb alone :laugh: although i didnt laugh when i had to redownload it all last year :eek:

However i make use of this feature for free

[​IMG]

Which makes better use of the hdd's cache,

10. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    no, faster drives dont do crap to enhance 'game performance' aka FPS.

They can speed up the loading time a little, but any modern HDD (320GB+) which has been defragmented will load quite fast too.

I sold my raptorX 150 after i noticed no difference in games, only in how loud my PC was.

11. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    I'd much rather get a SSD instead. The 10000 rpm's just isn't worth it anymore imo.

12. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    i agree with this.

one common mistake people make too, is one large drive for everything. mechanical drives can only do one thing at a time, and if you have windows, games, antivirus, downloads etc all on the one drive, things do go to crap.

Use one HDD for windows (and a second partition on it for downloads/media) and a seperate physical drive for your games (that you defragment regularly) and you'll find your games load faster anyway.

13. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    I just swapped out a RaptorX for a seagate barricuda 7200.12 and I'm not noticing a difference except that the 7200.12 is alot quieter.

Crunching for Team TPU