1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Will a new router and/or modem help?

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by GJSNeptune, Apr 15, 2008.

1. GJSNeptune

GJSNeptune New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm on Roadrunner, and I've been using a 4-port Netgear router from around 2003. The modem (Motorola, I think) is probably from 2002. I forget the model numbers. They've been in use nonstop since. Would a newer router and/or modem help with speed and such at all?

I'm thinking about getting a new router anyway, 'cause this one gets pretty hot. It also cuts out sometimes and has to be unplugged. It might even be the modem. Once in awhile the Internet stops responding, so I unplug both devices, wait about a minute, and plug them back in. I repair my connection and it works.

I guess I'm just wondering if newer means better, and if it'd be wise to invest in a new modem and router.

2. lemonadesoda

lemonadesoda

Thanks Received:
    Q1./ Which netgear?
    Q2./ How many ACTIVE LAN connections physically attached to the router?

I have a FVL328. Its quite old. But it still runs like a rocket. Has VPN. Has great inbuilt security. However, I just upgraded the LAN as follows:

• New modem. The new modem has definitely improved the connection.
    • Put the "backbone" of the network on a JGS524, with ONE connection to the router. The router also drivers a printer and a wireless AP (WG302).
    Overall improvement in LAN performance. FVL328 still doing the job fine.

Tip1: If you have an old consumer router... or a VERY OLD prosafe... it might be worth upgrading. But I can definitely recommend the route of cheap second hand prosafe FVS328 or higher. Dont go for th FVS318 that has slow/cheap low bandwidth hardware.

Tip2: Try and avoid all-in-one routers. If your router is ALSO driving wireless LAN this will really slow down the whole router and expose it to crashing esp. if you use WEP etc. Separate the router from the wireless AP.

Tip3: Most router crashes are caused by IP conflicts on other devices. Make sure no OTHER devices are bringing the router down.

3. GJSNeptune

GJSNeptune New Member

Thanks Received:
    I checked my Newegg orders and it's an RP614. There are usually two active connections, sometimes three.

I definitely don't need a rackmount. There's no wireless connectivity, although the girlfriend has a laptop so it might be convenient for her if there were.

How would I check for IP conflicts? What other devices might cause them? There aren't any printers hooked up. Just computers.

4. lemonadesoda

lemonadesoda

Thanks Received:
    Ah, the RP614 is consumer and 2003. They were designed for non-enterprise use. Basic internet and downloading. (Not P2P). Now that we have very fast internet at home, and use P2P (requiring HUNDREDS of simultaneuos connections), you either need a very modern router, or an enterprise router. Enterprise routers that are old are OK, because they were DESIGNED for hundreds of connections from the ground up.

P2P could bring that old router down.

IP conflicts could be from: poor wiring, DHCP client not set on all devices, ie. some fixed some automatic... and a device or PC is switched off. The router then allocates the IP address, a new device is turned on with a fixed IP the SAME as a DHCP allocated IP and the LAN goes down. I suggest setting DHCP server to allocate in the range 192.168.0.100 to 192.168.0.199 only. Set the router to 192.168.0.2 (not .1 which is default and therefore a security weak link), and set fixed devices like printers and NAS and AP points to .200, .201, .202 etc.

I would suggest something like http://cgi.ebay.com/Netgear-FVS338_...ryZ51168QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Anything up to $40 would be a steal. $50-$60 typical. Anything higher... wait for another auction.

Once your whole network is stable, consider getting a new modem from your IP.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2008
  5. GJSNeptune

GJSNeptune New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, uTorrent really drowns it, but the Internet still cuts out occasionally without any P2P. I don't use uTorrent very much either. I think I last used it to get the free portion of Nine Inch Nails' new album.

6. lemonadesoda

lemonadesoda

Thanks Received:
    You might not be running P2P... but other P2P clients on the internet come to YOUR IP address, since you advertised it on the P2P network... esp. a high demand download like 9iN. That can knock out your basic router, and/or old modem.

Tip: after P2P, reset your internet IP address. (Reboot BOTH modem and router).

Ref: http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/n101583.asp

Last edited: Apr 15, 2008
  7. mrhuggles

mrhuggles

Thanks Received:
    just shoot me

any googleing will reveal that basicly every consumer router that exists constantly crashes, openWRT + X-wrt, to a lesser extent, DD-WRT, these things help, or like if u wanna get something really elite, openWRT on an avila gateworks router > *