1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Will a PCIe x8 RAID card interfere with AMD integrated graphics?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Jstn7477, Mar 9, 2011.

1. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    Hello all,

I'm building a cheap server for a customer. It will be running a RAID 5 with 4 500GB HDDs, and I want to put those on a $300 Areca ARC-1220 PCIe x8 hardware RAID controller (cheapest true hardware 4 port SATA RAID 5 card I could find on Newegg). The board I plan to use only has one PCIe x16 slot. Will the integrated graphics still function, or are they disabled by anything occupying the PEG slot? I'm pretty sure the HD 3200/4200 just uses PCI, but I need to be absolutely sure that this setup will work.

Board: ASRock 880GXH/USB3 AM3 AMD 880G HDMI USB 3.0 ATX A...

RAID card: areca ARC-1210 PCI-Express x8 SATA II (3.0Gb/s) Co...

Thanks in advance for the help.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  2. Beertintedgoggles

Beertintedgoggles

Thanks Received:
    Well after working with RF hardware and the fact that some motherboards may tend to do things unnaturally I rarely say something will absolutely do anything one way or the other; however, I would be very, very surprised if there were any issues using the onboard graphics with the RAID card installed. The motherboard should sense that there is no graphics card installed and default back to the onboard (also you should be able to set the default graphics in the BIOS to use the onboard).
    Jstn7477 says thanks.
  3. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    Alright, I'm going to order the parts within the next hour, so we'll see how it goes.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD