• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Will I get better speed on a SAS 29 pin Cable to Dual Lane SATA Data and Molex Power or Single SATA

Will I get better speed on a

• SAS 29 pin Cable to Dual Lane SATA Data and Molex Power

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • SAS 29 pin Cable to Single Lane SATA Data and Molex Power

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
System Name Daily Driver / Mobile Gamer
Processor R7-2700x / R7-3700x
Motherboard ASRock Taichi x470 / ASRock x370 Gaming ITX
Cooling EK monoblock - dual 360 rads / NH-U9S
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3466c14 / Crucial 32GB 3733c16
Video Card(s) TITAN / GTX 1070ti
Storage WD BLACK 500GB SSD / 1TB M.2, 1TB 850 EVO
Display(s) LG 27EA83R / TeamViewer
Case Dimastech Easy V3 / DA-2
Audio Device(s) HT E-Claro -> Yamaha Receiver - Polk CS1, 2x Polk OWM3 or DT-990 Pro
Power Supply SeaSonic X-850 / SSR-650SGX
Mouse Mionix NAOS 7000
Keyboard Drevo GRAMR tkl
Software Linux & Win10 Pro
I read your other thread about partition types. I use 128k stipe size on my current raid 1 array.

Anyway, it appears as your going to go the raid1 route for now. If you decide to go for raid5, as you previously stated, all you need is one more drive. When you add the new drive to the existing array it will give you the option to configure in raid5 or keep the raid1 and hot-spare. This can be done without wiping and reformatting all drives, though if you choose raid5 there's no going back to raid1 without starting over.

Will be Raid 1 for the moment till I get another drive so I can try Raid 5.
Why RAID 1? With RAID 1 you'll lose half your space and see no increase in write speed... And RAID 5 is RAID 0 (striped) with parity disks...

If you're looking to RAID for performance, RAID 0 is the only worthwhile option.

Personally I wouldn't bother, not with 2 drives on a home PC. However if you're intent, consider buying 3x 2GB drives instead of 2x 3GB.
How much will this cost vs say an SSD + 2TB drive?

System Name Cruncher
Processor AMD Opteron 6272 G34 processor cores 2x 16 cores = 32 cores @ 2.10 GHz 64-bit capable
Motherboard SuperMicro AMD Opteron 6272 H8DGI-F dual cpu
Cooling Air
Memory 18 gig installed (RAM) 16.00 GB useable ddr3 1333 fsb
Video Card(s) ASUS R9 390 Direct CU II 8GB Ram
Storage all different sata 2 2gb Primary hard disk 139GB Free (442GB Total)
Display(s) view sonic VA2238wm-LED Primary monitor resolution 1920x1080 DirectX 11
Case Thermaltake
Audio Device(s) pcie hd
Power Supply SHAW Viper 1500 watts
Mouse Logitech
Keyboard ASUS
Software Windows 7 Professional 64-bit operating system
Why RAID 1? With RAID 1 you'll lose half your space and see no increase in write speed... And RAID 5 is RAID 0 (striped) with parity disks...

If you're looking to RAID for performance, RAID 0 is the only worthwhile option.

Personally I wouldn't bother, not with 2 drives on a home PC. However if you're intent, consider buying 3x 2GB drives instead of 2x 3GB.
How much will this cost vs say an SSD + 2TB drive?

I could not Find any 2TB SSD drives all I could find was SSHD Hybrid Internal drives 2TB in size, I guess they would run faster. Should then use the 3TB for storage, but that would have to be down the line... I got these 3TB HDD's at a good price from a wholesaler so i will buy 2 more of them first.
But I will keep and eye on the SSHD drives now, as SSD dose not provide the size I want at the moment and is also out of my price range.

I meant 3x 2TB HDD. RAID 0 performance directly relates to the number of drives in the array.

You really need about 3-4 drives to see any real improvement. With just 2 it's hardly worth the time. That's what I was getting at earlier.

Have a read of this article, it explains everything.... :)
http://www.thessdreview.com/featured/ssd-throughput-latency-iopsexplained/

Edit;
My bad, I didn't realize you'd bought them already. Never mind...:)

Last edited:
Audio Device(s) HT E-Claro -> Yamaha Receiver - Polk CS1, 2x Polk OWM3 or DT-990 Pro
Mouse Mionix NAOS 7000
Keyboard Drevo GRAMR tkl
I read your other thread about partition types. I use 128k stipe size on my current raid 1 array.

Anyway, it appears as your going to go the raid1 route for now. If you decide to go for raid5, as you previously stated, all you need is one more drive. When you add the new drive to the existing array it will give you the option to configure in raid5 or keep the raid1 and hot-spare. This can be done without wiping and reformatting all drives, though if you choose raid5 there's no going back to raid1 without starting over.
@skippy258 I was wrong in my previous statement. :oops: Sorry bud, I hope this clarifies things for you.

EDITED:
If you configure your current drives in a raid1 array you Will NOT be able to convert that array into a raid5 array later. Not without wiping and reformatting.

If you go with a raid0 array then you will have options when you add 1 or more drives. Then if you decide to go for raid5 in the future, as you previously stated, you will need one more drive minimum. When you add the new drive/s to the existing array it will give you the option to reconfigure in raid5 or keep the raid0 and expand the array size or add as a hot-spare. This can be done without wiping and reformatting all drives.

System Name Cruncher
Processor AMD Opteron 6272 G34 processor cores 2x 16 cores = 32 cores @ 2.10 GHz 64-bit capable
Motherboard SuperMicro AMD Opteron 6272 H8DGI-F dual cpu
Cooling Air
Memory 18 gig installed (RAM) 16.00 GB useable ddr3 1333 fsb
Video Card(s) ASUS R9 390 Direct CU II 8GB Ram
Storage all different sata 2 2gb Primary hard disk 139GB Free (442GB Total)
Display(s) view sonic VA2238wm-LED Primary monitor resolution 1920x1080 DirectX 11
Case Thermaltake
Audio Device(s) pcie hd
Power Supply SHAW Viper 1500 watts
Mouse Logitech
Keyboard ASUS
Software Windows 7 Professional 64-bit operating system
I meant 3x 2TB HDD. RAID 0 performance directly relates to the number of drives in the array.

You really need about 3-4 drives to see any real improvement. With just 2 it's hardly worth the time. That's what I was getting at earlier.

Have a read of this article, it explains everything.... :)
http://www.thessdreview.com/featured/ssd-throughput-latency-iopsexplained/

Edit;
My bad, I didn't realize you'd bought them already. Never mind...:)

Yeah I'm just waiting on the Mini-SAS to SATA to arrive I have the HDDs and been playing around with them and also learning how to make master from MBR to GPT.;)

@skippy258 I was wrong in my previous statement. :oops: Sorry bud, I hope this clarifies things for you.

EDITED:
If you configure your current drives in a raid1 array you Will NOT be able to convert that array into a raid5 array later. Not without wiping and reformatting.

If you go with a raid0 array then you will have options when you add 1 or more drives. Then if you decide to go for raid5 in the future, as you previously stated, you will need one more drive minimum. When you add the new drive/s to the existing array it will give you the option to reconfigure in raid5 or keep the raid0 and expand the array size or add as a hot-spare. This can be done without wiping and reformatting all drives.

Thanks for the correction @T-Bob, I will keep this in mind when I put it into raid after I receive my cables, but after everyone's help... I have learnt a lot more about raid controllers and raid setting also there meanings plus learnt alot more about my motherboard chip controllers, this has also let me dive into GPT partitions, so I would like Thank all again for your knowledge and help in teaching me how to understanding this stuff a lot more clearly now.:peace:

Last edited:
Mouse Mionix NAOS 7000
Keyboard Drevo GRAMR tkl
Yeah I'm just waiting on the Mini-SAS to SATA to arrive I have the HDDs and been playing around with them and also learning how to make master from MBR to GPT.;)

Thanks for the correction @T-Bob, I will keep this in mind when I put it into raid after I receive my cables, but after everyone's help... I have learnt a lot more about raid controllers and raid setting also there meanings plus learnt alot more about my motherboard chip controllers, this has also let me dive into GPT partitions, so I would like Thank all again for your knowledge and help in teaching me how to understanding this stuff a lot more clearly now.:peace:
Glad we could help! Good luck :toast: