1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Will leaving a laptop plugged in kill the battery?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by hat, Oct 19, 2009.

1. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    I have a laptop (Compaq/HP Pesario C500) and I am running WCG on it. The battery can drain quite quickly, so I would like to leave it plugged in so it can crunch while I'm not there to attend to it. I was wondering if leaving it plugged in would kill the battery? Deminish it's ability to hold a charge? Maybe even cause problems like fire like the sony batteries did?

Crunching for Team TPU
  2. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    no. wont affect it.

hat says thanks.
  3. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
    It does affect it. Because it will constantly recharge it as soon as the charge falls a bit.
    And every charge cycle slightly "damages" the battery. Because each has only limited number of recharge cycles. But i guess you'd have to run it this way for quite some time for it to wear out.

hat says thanks.
  4. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    Hmm.. is there any way I could set it up so that it runs off the battery until it hits ~10% or so, and then it charges?

Crunching for Team TPU
  5. kurosagi01

kurosagi01

Thanks Received:
    only way to not overcharge your battery is by removing it off the laptop,when its fully charge i would turn your laptop off and remove the battery that way you can reserve your battery if you ever take it out somewhere.
    The laptop can keep running as long as you keep the power connector in the laptop

6. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Just remove the battery while plugged in.

7. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    New laptops are better at this, I think. I don't remember why that is though..

8. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    It depends on the battery. Some batteries (lithium ion) aren't supposed to ever be fully drained (I think you want to keep it above 80%). Other batteries (Nickel-Cadmium I think) should be fully drained before recharging them. The laptop should have came with instructions for good battery maintenance.

Crunching for Team TPU
  9. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
    It's not recommended to fully charge Li-ion batteries for long term storage. Leave it at 25-50% and store it in cooler storage (but room temperature should be fine as well).

I keep my Aspire One running from the AC most of the time so i removed the battery to avoid unnecessary battery deterioration.

10. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    no it wont. the battery will be ignored, as the laptop draws power directly from the mains.

if its a Nimh battery, then this would be bad - if its Li Ion, then this is the best situation.

nimh batteries require to go fully discharged (flat) before recharging in order to maintain their best performance, while Li Ion batteries must never, ever go completely flat - so leaving it on the charger is actually better for modern batteries.

11. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    even with a li ion battery you should avoid constantly recharging it. my lenovo notebook comes with a software the will only recharge the battery if it drops a substantial percentage. but the best way is to remove the battery. when you connect the notebook to ac for a long time, just click out the battery but leave it in the slot so its available if you have to move.

Mussels says thanks.
  12. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    i'm going by what i learned in an electronics course, admittedly that was over 5 years ago.

battery tech DOES change (and you cant always trust what they say in books :p)

13. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
    Every battery has a limited number of recharge cycles. Lead-acid accumulators are probably the least affected by this problem, while Ni-MH and Li-ion/Li-poly are more affected.
    The problem is that even though laptop draws power from AC while battery is still inserted, charge falls over time by itself. Laptop detects the drop and charges it back to 100%. So it's constantly jumping back and forth between 99% and 100%. I wonder why it's not made to only re-charge it when it falls below 75% if plugged to AC. I mean to at least have option, even if it's not enabled by default.

14. vaiopup New Member

Thanks Received:
    In the past I left battery in my notebook and it was pretty much on 24/7, crunching.
    After some time I went to run her off the battery and nothing......the battery wouldn't hold a charge anymore.

On present notebook I have removed the battery, which has the added plus of making the machine a tad lighter....is a 17" widescreen.

15. niko084

niko084

Thanks Received:
    It will lessen the life span, the notebook will run a bit warmer and the power supply stands a chance of burning out.

I have seen many friend charger boards on older dells due to people doing this and many dead chargers due to people using them plugged in with the battery in all the time, not to mention toasted batteries withing 6-12 months of new.

If it's plugged in for a long time, remove the battery or run it off the battery until it's dead and plug it in. Don't do both.

NiMH are the worst for this, Li-Ions are much better but still far from perfect.

16. EastCoasthandle

EastCoasthandle New Member

Thanks Received:
    From what I recall it does depend on the battery however, overall you shouldn't keep it continuously charged. There are 2 types of batteries (if you are using lithium ion for example)
    -batteries that keep memory
    -batteries that are memory-free

Hopefully, yours is memory-free as it tends to last a bit longer through charging cycles. You are going to need to do a little research on which type you have. However, here is a link that can discuss the issue a little more. But again it's better to not continuously charge the battery.

17. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    I run my X31 almost 24/7 plugged in running WCG. When I'm going to be plugged in for long periods of time in one place I will sometimes remove the battery, but I still get over 3 hours of battery time (not running WCG, of course). I don't think there is much chance of damaging the power adapter, the X31 was designed for a 16V 3.5A adapter and I'm using a 16V 5.5A adapter (it's what I had), so there is plenty of margin for error here. And normally the laptop never uses more than 25w, so I think I'm find ;)

Crunching for Team TPU