1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Will my q6600 with PCI 2.0 support GTX 670 2GB or 4GB

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by razor2890, Sep 1, 2012.

1. razor2890

Thanks Received:
    Backside there is no place for a fan and front can hold 120mm fan

2. INSTG8R

INSTG8R

Thanks Received:
    Well I would be putting a new case on the upgrade list. Plenty of inexpensive cases with PLENTY of ventilation and spots for fans and would even come with a couple fans to get you started ;)

razor2890 says thanks.
  3. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Yes, definitely a new case is in order, you want at least a 120mm in the back and front.

This is the case I use when people are looking for the absolute minimum: Rosewill R218-P-BK Black SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower ...

It is a standard case, but has good airflow and plenty of room to work, and a cut out motherboard tray for easy cooler swapping.

Of course there are better options if you spend a little more money. Corsair makes some great cases. You can usually find the 300R in the $50 range after rebate.

razor2890 says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  4. purecain

purecain

Thanks Received:
    @OP...buy yourself a GTX670 and monitor temps...

Your cpu will only reduce fps by 5-7 on average so definatly no need to upgrade.save your money for haswell...

Or go i7 then when they become dirt cheap.

Fyi if you went ivybridge... overclocking would be very limited unless you spend a fortune on cooling.

so living in a hot country you are better off waiting for a new architecture.imo.

Good luck... Ps take the side off your case and point a fan at you mb if things do heat up...

this would be the cheapest solution for you... obviously spending more money, you could upgrade everything...

and 4gb will only be better than 2gb if you game at high rez...

Last edited: Sep 3, 2012
  5. Bo$$

Bo$$ Lab Extraordinaire

Thanks Received:
    Jesus, the amount of people telling you to upgrade your PSU is astounding, That corsair unit will be fine! it is expensive for this reason, grab a 4gb if you can afford it, but if you game no higher than 1920x1080 get a 2gb for the sake of saving money ;)

The rest of the PC is fine my brother uses a Q6600 2.4ghz and 6870 all day and no lag in anything :cool:

:toast:

purecain says thanks.
  6. Huddo93

Huddo93 New Member

Thanks Received:
    You shouldn't run into any noticeable bottlenecks with the Q6600, it will work fine with a GTX670.

Don't listen to anyone saying you need a better Power Supply, the new GTX6xx series graphics cards are very energy efficient and probably wont get very close to the max output of 500W.

If your looking into Overclocking your GTX670, try to find one that uses a custom PCB. They usually have better VRM and will Overclock alot better. IF NOT then just go with which ever GTX670 that suites your budget. I just bought one last week and its been the best purchase ever, as it replaced a GTX275 and its making SOOO much difference. You wont regret it! :)

7. Bo$$

Bo$$ Lab Extraordinaire

Thanks Received:

What about the cooler? is the stock one quiet?? get something with aftermarket cooling, saves you money down the line

8. Huddo93

Huddo93 New Member

Thanks Received:
    The gtx670 I have uses a gtx680 PCB and cooler, and its stays silent whilst gaming. Some other aftermarket coolers definitely perform better, like the twin frozer from MSI and the dcuII from Asus also runs pretty silent but do add to the price.

At stock clocks I don't believe it would make a lot of difference in terms of noise.

9. Bo$$

Bo$$ Lab Extraordinaire

Thanks Received:
    Ah ok, I found my Last few cards had awfully loud, i bought a Gigabyte windforce x3 when my last one died :)

I thought the OP might want to consider it if he is sensitive to noise

:toast:

Huddo93 says thanks.
  10. razor2890

Thanks Received:
    So i am going to go for more fans in my cabinet... I checked it i can squeeze in 2 120mm fans and 1 120mm and 1 80mm fans at the back ... 1 120mm and 1 80mm fan to the side of the casing.....
    But i donot know if my MOBO DG33FB will support the fans.
    I cannot figure out where is the connection for new fans on my MOBO....

11. razor2890

Thanks Received:
    and then buy 670

12. INSTG8R

INSTG8R

Thanks Received:
    I count 3 fan headers available on the motherboard. THIS might help you out.;)

That said some fans come with Molex adapters so can just hook them right to your PSU.