1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

will my vantage score drop once i install my hd5850?

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by DTV DRAGON, Jan 25, 2010.

1. DTV DRAGON

DTV DRAGON New Member

Thanks Received:
    hey guys only about 2 more days here until my hd5850 arrives, I will then pop out the gtx280 and slide this card in, and get ready to do some benching, but ive read that my scores might be lower when i run vantage because of no physx? might this be the truth? please let me know so I wont be shocked with a lower score lol thanx Dragon

2. dir_d

dir_d

Thanks Received:
    yes its true

3. DTV DRAGON

DTV DRAGON New Member

Thanks Received:
    AAUUGGH was afraid of this. how about 3dmark06? also how about adding in a nvidia physx card? but i only have one pcie slot, are there any card that can use just a pci slot? would it be worth it for me to go this route? DRagon

4. animal007uk

Thanks Received:
    I don't think its worth it as there are hardly any games that make use of physx. it just seems to much money to spend for a few more bits of eye candy.

5. DTV DRAGON

DTV DRAGON New Member

Thanks Received:
    i see what ya mean, funny thing is that iam not a real big gamer of sorts, I just like to mostly bench etc. I like to try and get my scores higher each time, so I know the 5850 is a better card than my gtx280 but when i go to bench it with vantage i will not see that reflected in my score, Any ideas as to how much of a drop in score i will get? thanx again for all your help Dragon

6. 20mmrain

20mmrain

Thanks Received:
    Yes it will drop. But IMO it is faek performance anyway. Like others have said not many games support it anyway. Also as far as Benching goes..... testing it with Physx on does not give you true CPU and GPU scores. It won't tell you the true performance of your card. That's just my opinion other might disagree with me.

But the good new is most 5850's can OC like a bat out of hell. Plus as far as gaming performance goes.... it is a better card IMO.

I might be mistaken on this too..... but I thought have Physx enabled in Futuremark wasn't counted as a true score anyway.

In my example though I went from a GTX 285 FTW to a 5870. I actuallay at first got about the same score with the two if Physx was enabled. Eventually with better drivers I have easily beat it. Then I even added a lot more when I started to overclock the 5870.
    You might not see as much of a drop as you might think considering performance wise the 5850 is a little better than a GTX 285 let alone a GTX 280

But I am still new to benching..... So I not be telling you anything very accurate.

DTV DRAGON says thanks.
  7. DTV DRAGON

DTV DRAGON New Member

Thanks Received:
    ok i will like to try this.. how can i disable physx and then run a bench on vantage with my 280? this way when i get my 5850 i can have a true comparison of the two cards Dragon

8. 20mmrain

20mmrain

Thanks Received:
    Disable Physx in your Nvidia Display controls and then Disable PPU on Futuremark Options I believe. It's been a little while since I have had my GTX 285.
    But I am almost positive stock for stock a 5850 will beat a GTX 280 w/o physx. So you should see a raise in score that way going from a GTX280 to a 5850.

9. DTV DRAGON

DTV DRAGON New Member

Thanks Received:
    ok i will try this now and see what my score is so i can compare to the 5850 in a few days thanx Dragon

10. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    since he has a Motherboard with two or more PCIex slots cant he use hacked drivers so he can run the 5850 and use the 280 for Physics?

Crunching for Team TPU
  11. Binge

Binge Overclocking Surrealism

Thanks Received:
    ROFL You are totally misguided. Your score will go up. That PhysX test is lame. The GPU score will be much higher than a single 280. Don't be fooled.

...5001 posts?!?!!??!

12. 20mmrain

20mmrain

Thanks Received:
    Yeah he could!

See there you go someone elese who probably knows more than me. So I wouldn't worry then. I thought that you would get better scores. But I wasn't sure better to be safe:)

13. animal007uk

Thanks Received:
    inless i misread earlyer the op said he only has 1 x PCI-E slot.

yes only 1 slot just checked the board on gigabyte site

14. DTV DRAGON

DTV DRAGON New Member

Thanks Received:
    yep unfortunatly one slot. but ive seen some physx card made for pci slot and a have a few of them or will that be a waiste of money and time?

15. DTV DRAGON

DTV DRAGON New Member

Thanks Received:
    well i just ran vantage without physx and it was lower, about 2000 points, not sure if it was a bad run or this was actualy the score, I will try again l;ater to confirm score, I guess only thing to do is wait till card comes also ive seen soem physx cards for pci slot and i have a few of those on this board, would it pay for me to get somehintg like that? Dragon

16. animal007uk

Thanks Received:
    As far as i know dident nvidia screw over the original ageia PCI physx cards? or they dont realy suport them in there new drivers or somthing like that. hmmm maybe im wrong looks like there are drivers for it on nvidia site but i have no idea if they are the latest version.

17. Zubasa

Zubasa

Thanks Received:
    The score is lower because Physx bsaically fakes the CPU score in Vantage.
    Turn on Physx in Vantage and you will notice the CPU score sky rocket, and this is because your nVidia GPU is taking over the CPU test.
    You just get a fake CPU score by turning on Physx, that is why we most people here will tell you that it is the GPU score alone that matters.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2010
  18. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Who cares if you don't get a PhysX score? You can just compare your scores to other non-physX scores. It's the GPU score that is important. PhysX is just a fabrication with Vantage with minimal real life value. Then again if Vantage scores are this important to you, you bought the wrong video card. Unless you are using actual applications that use PhysX, PhysX is a waste. Buy a PhysX card ($$) realize that you have no games that utilize PhysX and go out and buy a couple PhysX games just for the sake of using it (more $$). Unless you like to use F@H, I see no reason other than to waste money and see some extra numbers in one skewed benchmark. Websites like hwbot.org doesn't consider PhysX scores.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2010
  19. DTV DRAGON

DTV DRAGON New Member

Thanks Received:
    nice answer, I guess i will check the gpu score alone, makes sence, and no I know i did right by buying the ati card as it is alot better than my 280 in alot of reviews so thats what is important to me, games=no, speed, benchmarking etc.=yes Dragon
    ok what i will do now is run vantage again and turn of physx and get my gpu scaore, and then once5850 arrives i will test again and compare gpu scores.....makes alot of sense not thanx... Dragon

20. 20mmrain

20mmrain

Thanks Received:
    Like I said before.... with physx score doesn't matter. It is an embellished CPU score. If you want the RAM CPU and GPU score do it with out physx.

That is how most real scores a gaged anyway! I don't even think that Futuremark will allow you to submit an official score if you have Physx turned on. I know they didn't when I had a couple Nvidia cards.

21. Goodman

Goodman

Thanks Received:
    you can still use the 2 cards in the mobo put the nvidia card in an pci-e 1x or 4x it's gona works fine for physic see the link on how to do it

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/249291-30-card

22. Zubasa

Zubasa

Thanks Received:
    For your interest:
    http://news.softpedia.com/news/GPU-PhysX-Removed-from-Futuremark-039-s-Hall-Of-Fame-90391.shtml
    Futuremark offically rejects Vantage scores with GPU physx.;)

23. DTV DRAGON

DTV DRAGON New Member

Thanks Received:
    WELL was expecting my card today and when i went and checked up on ups tracking , the card has a last scan on the 23 in minneapolis and thats were it ends! I phoned ups and she told me that i will need to phone newegg and tell them to put a claim in so they can put a trace on it AARRGGHH Ive never had good service out of UPS! This sucks! Dragon

24. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:
    it's only a score man, don't worry about it.

25. kyle2020 Guest

Its a synthetic benchmark, why such a fuss? The 5850 will outperform the 280 in real life, REAL LIFE (remember that) gaming, who cares if you score lower on vantage?